PDA

View Full Version : MD 80 down

Capt Wally
16th Sep 2007, 22:47
Sad to hear an MD80 ( I think it was) go down in poor WX with maybe a couple of Aussies amongst the deceased............the WX in that part of the world can be damn right awful. Phuket, the place to go, just not during torrential rain ! Where quite lucky in this country, the WX `here is so benign most of the time

My thoughts go out to the obvious dissorientated families

Capt wally:{

Master Red Cylinder
17th Sep 2007, 00:01
Sad news, my condolences to those who lost.

I understand the MD is a great machine but very temperamental on slippery runways. Apparently weather was rough but not below minima.

:(

Hottie
17th Sep 2007, 01:43
Was watching the news on CNN just last night, to reveal the awful, breaking news of the MD80 Flight, bound to Phuket from Bangkok. In fact, the first thing that rushed into my mind was to call all friends either married to Thai nationals or visiting the popular destination.... very sad. My condolences to all.
If any credit is due, from what I understand, the emergency services were said to be very capable and prompt to arrive at the scene... Well done to all involved - NO doubt, this saved some lives...

Be careful out there folks...One thing I have learned during my time in Asia is just how unpredictable and sometimes very user unfriendly the weather in these regions can be.

:(

squawk6969
17th Sep 2007, 02:40
Another sad event, and one which I am sure has added to some negative feeling in the worlds view of aviation in Asia. Possibly the effects of microburst which has caught out a few before, and even here in Oz, fortunately not with the same consequences. Nobody is imune.

Can't be too careful in such wx.

Condolences to those involved in any way:(.

SQ

Slasher
17th Sep 2007, 02:48
Im familar with Phuket. If a strong wind is from the N on the
27ILS it can drop to nothing in a split-second once below the
hills next to the airport, resulting in a severe bang-on if its
not cought. In heavey wx its even worse. Only my conjecture.

BrazDriver
17th Sep 2007, 03:48
Channel 7 reported that the pilot was attempting a ''touch and go'' when will they get it right??

Skystar320
17th Sep 2007, 04:39
Married Thai nationals = MOB's :bored:

AerocatS2A
17th Sep 2007, 04:47
I don't know Braz, the other day I heard a QF B737 report on a five mile final for a "Full stop landing" at YPKA. So maybe these guys do touch and goes every now and then for practice :}.

Icarus2001
17th Sep 2007, 11:43
Well the "new" NAS requires you to "advise intentions" in the downwind/final call so full stop is correct...:)