Phugoid Phlue
15th Sep 2007, 16:57
Bad day

Any news?

on21
15th Sep 2007, 17:04
From the BBC:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6996860.stm

Link to another loss from Shoreham Warbird down (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=292247)

Also http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=292244

Phugoid Phlue
15th Sep 2007, 17:09
Not confirmed if it is a 44

UKpaxman
15th Sep 2007, 17:30
Just read elsewhere it's on Colin McCrae's land:(

TiPwEiGhT
15th Sep 2007, 17:54
Colin onwed an AS350B2, does his brother Alistair still own a R44?

Thoughts are with those involved.

TiP:(

Daysleeper
15th Sep 2007, 18:19
How do we know its a 44? News at the moment 18:20z still just saying "helicopter"

MK10
15th Sep 2007, 18:26
BBC saying Squirrel now
sad day again

PPRuNe Radar
15th Sep 2007, 18:32
Very sad .. at least 2 killed. Aircraft is G-CBHL.

paddyboy
15th Sep 2007, 18:35
I believe that is Colin's machine.

Condolences to those involved and their nearest and dearest.

serf
15th Sep 2007, 18:41
It is indeed, according to G-INFO.......

fisbangwollop
15th Sep 2007, 19:02
A very sad day..... I have provided an ATC service to this helicopter on many occasions, if those on board were who I think they may be it will be a great loss to many....I am hopeing and praying that they were not onboard, but saying that my thoughts are with who ever it is.

frostbite
15th Sep 2007, 19:59
News (or speculation) on http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1284278,00.html?f=rss

thorpey
15th Sep 2007, 20:08
On another web site, Colins agent is supposed to be saying he was in the a/c, let`s hope not.

Richard Taylor
15th Sep 2007, 20:26
BBC Scotland currently saying that:

i. Heli came down near Colin McRae's home
ii. He is known to be a keen helicopter pilot
iii. No formal ID until Sunday of those aboard

Still hoping against, but the press inference is clear, judging by SKY & what the BBC are currently reporting.

jetstream7
15th Sep 2007, 20:35
To add further to what has been written... "The Scotsman" is reporting rather more detail than the BBC / Sky on this tragedy.
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1482732007

CDME
15th Sep 2007, 20:40
Was just talking to Colin the other day where he said they had just finalised all the backing for another Paris - Dakar race and was looking forward to it.

The outlook is bleak for this as the only ones who normally fly his B2 are himself or his brother Alistair.

:(

Granite Monolith
15th Sep 2007, 20:41
McRae speaking today:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13260890,00.html

Colonal Mustard
15th Sep 2007, 20:44
Today in the UK we lost a pilot in as yet unknown circumstances who was displaying a second world war a/c to the public, my post on that thread was simple and to the point.
I hoped that the feeling of sadness at that crash would not again be repeated for some time and hopefully not for a very long time.
only a short while later news of this tragic helicopter incident reached me, i now sit at my computer asking myself, Who,why and how?..
Having seen two dear friends off who were experienced rotary pilots and both killed in seperate tragic incidents over the last couple of years, i am acutely aware of the pain and anguish these crashes cause
A number of families have just been torn apart today, suddenly, unexpectedly and answers will be needed
..raise a glass ......to the families ...remain strong..our thoughts are with you and we will provide your answers..
RIP :sad:

mtogw
15th Sep 2007, 20:44
If this is to be believed its a very sad day indeed
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/15/ncopter115.xml
particularily the managers quote from his (sic Colins) brother
I will also add that I am sitting here in Kabul, and am thoroughly disgusted with BBC Worlds complete failure to mention either the accident or the potential loss of Colin Mc Rae or the accident in Shoreham today
The Times is now confirming this
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece
My condolences to all that have lost someone today

EGNH
15th Sep 2007, 21:00
Very sad if indeed true gut feeling only matter of time before confirmed.

Lets hope not but whoever has perished RIP

fisbangwollop
15th Sep 2007, 21:09
I guess if it was not Colin we would have had that confirmed by now.....I am totally gutted, Colin nor Alistair rarely flew cross country without talking to ATC....I was on duty this afternoon when the accident happened....the fact that he never spoke on the radio I guess gave me the hope and maybe still does that it was not him, I guess all will be revealed in the morning.

VeeAny
15th Sep 2007, 21:11
What an awful day for GA in the UK, whether its Colin or not I hope the Shoreham pilot and the Squirrel Pilot and Pax RIP.

For some reason it feels worse reading one of the news reports (however reliable they may or may not be) and it mentions children possibly on board.

Gary

mtogw
15th Sep 2007, 21:15
Kalium
I am in Kabul, so I only get BBC World
The BBC is provding a world service,
but they were originally there to provide us (British) with news from home
I don't know if you remember but they were famous for saying 'this is London calling'
I have been watching for the last two hours in the hope of some news and all they have concentrated on in the is the Northern Rock which is a savings/building society (bank), and spending a disproportiate amount of home news time on.
Considering the current situation I will only repeat my condolences to those in the UK who have lost someone very close to them..

helimutt
15th Sep 2007, 21:28
Another very sad day for GA and helis in the UK. Read that possibly children onboard the squirrel?

To those who have lost their lives, RIP.

Granite Monolith
15th Sep 2007, 21:30
Sad news, so sad..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Rally champion Colin McRae dies with son in helicopter crash

Bravo73
15th Sep 2007, 21:44
GM,

That is a speculative headline on the part of the Times.

Although it is unfortunately looking like CM was flying, the bodies haven't been formally identified yet.

RIP to whoever it is though. :(

Hughesy
15th Sep 2007, 21:57
Far out!!
Truely shocking news, CM had a pretty big fan base in NZ.
RIP mate.

md 600 driver
15th Sep 2007, 21:59
the other crash at shoreham he was also a helicopter pilot top class guy who will be sadly missed

zoom-to-the-skies
15th Sep 2007, 22:41
"Two people are believed to have died in a helicopter crash near the Lanarkshire home of former World Rally Champion Colin McRae. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6996860.stm

I've heard various rumours so far - some have told me Mr McRae and his son were the two victims, other sources suggest only one death and neither of the McRae's. The news does like to milk it though doesn't it?!
BBC Suggests its near McRae's house, and Colin is a kean heli pilot therefore it was them in the crash :bored:

Seems very sketchy at the moment...

Whatever the outcome turns out to be, lets hope its only the one casualty, and my thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim/s.

Today has not been a good day for Aviation in the UK. :(

TiPwEiGhT
15th Sep 2007, 23:34
Very much a sad loss to both the helicopter and motor sport industry. RIP.

cjbiz
15th Sep 2007, 23:42
have flown in CBHL on several occasions and also been in and out of CM's place.
tragedy for all involved and another sad day in GA,:(
biz

Chukkablade
15th Sep 2007, 23:57
RIP mate. One local lad to another. Cheers for everything over the years.

Sad, sad day.:(

Brilliant Stuff
16th Sep 2007, 00:13
Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

mountjoy
16th Sep 2007, 00:16
RIP to those involved and if it was CM, thanks for the world championship and taking my breath away over many years. :ok:

Exasperated
16th Sep 2007, 00:45
GM,
That is a speculative headline on the part of the Times.
Although it is unfortunately looking like CM was flying, the bodies haven't been formally identified yet.
RIP to whoever it is though.
Sadly confirmed

Scotland on Sunday (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1483222007)

Ex

TheMonk
16th Sep 2007, 03:02
Your link saids four dead. Hmmmm

Monk

Links to news agency reports usually stay the same even when the story at the end of the link is updated as and when more becomes known.
Heliport

TheMonk
16th Sep 2007, 04:28
sad loss.

Monk

fonawah
16th Sep 2007, 06:43
May all involved rest in peace

Max Shutterspeed
16th Sep 2007, 08:24
I've stood in countless forests over the years waiting to see Colin blast through in the same flat out style. In an age when big business runs motorsport, he seemed to be able to combine making a good living with always driving flat out for the win.

It's a **** day today to think we'll never again see him in a car, be it WRC, Le Mans or Paris Dakar or giving one of his ironic comments to camera.

He made many people happy over the years and I cannot imagine what his family must be going through right now.

You'll be missed by a great many.

MS

Bravo73
16th Sep 2007, 08:31
Sadly confirmed

FWIW, still not actually confirmed. The Scotland on Sunday report used exactly the same source as the speculative Times story (and also refers to a 'Twin' Squirrel and up to 4 occupants.)

Formal identification of the bodies should take place today apparently.

:{ :(

CDME
16th Sep 2007, 08:35
Bravo73 - I was talking to Jimmy, Colins dad this morning and you can take it for fact it was Colin flying and little Johnny was with him as well as two others. :(:(:(:(

Max Shutterspeed
16th Sep 2007, 08:41
"FWIW, still not actually confirmed. The Scotland on Sunday report used exactly the same source as the speculative Times story (and also refers to a 'Twin' Squirrel and up to 4 occupants.)"

There's nothing I'd like to hear more this morning than his voice asking what the fuss was about, Bravo.

But the fact that his website is blank (http://www.colinmcrae.com) says it all.

MS

bvgs
16th Sep 2007, 09:04
I was sitting 2 tables away from him last Saturday night at the St Andrew's Hospice function at the Crown Plazza. He had donated a day's driving with himself later in the year for the auction and was larger than life. So so terrible. He, his familly and the others are all in my prayers. RIP

Bravo73
16th Sep 2007, 09:43
CDME/MS,

Please read what I've actually written. It obviously looks like CM was flying but until the occupants have actually been identified, you can't consider it to be confirmed. Hearsay is not confirmation. (And sorry to seem to be nitpicking .)

Still a sad day, whichever way you look at it. :(

valve guide
16th Sep 2007, 10:07
Yes Bravo73 amidst the total devastation of a number of peoples lives you should be sorry to be nitpicking....unbelievable.

Richard Taylor
16th Sep 2007, 10:11
Police will not formally identify any of the victims today.

Just come through on the radio (R5L).

r44raven
16th Sep 2007, 10:16
A very sad loss indeed, and condolences to all those involved, but why did the article in "Scotland on Sunday" feel the need to include the paragraph which starts "he freely admitted enjoying risk taking." Totally inappropriate and I'm sure risk taking was the furthest thing from his mind as he lifted yesterday.:(

Bravo73
16th Sep 2007, 10:29
valve guide,

:ugh:

If you've got a problem with what I've been saying, please take it up via PM. Please don't muddy this thread with your worthless contributions.

fisbangwollop
16th Sep 2007, 10:29
I have spoken to both Colin and Alistair many times on the R/T and one thing he never did was take risks whilst flying....he was one of the sensible ones and would always make radio contact with Scottish whenever practicle....how many fly around at these low levels and dont bother their shirt???

I have spoken to a few of his fellow flyers and they all said although Colin was crazy at times in the rally car his approach to flying was total total caution and very professional.

He will be a voice sadly missed on 119.875.....god bless

fisbangwollop
16th Sep 2007, 10:34
ERF..."Emergency restriction to Flying" just promulgated covering the coordinates of the crash site up to 3000ft till next Wednesday.

Max_Chat
16th Sep 2007, 10:57
Condolences and best wishes to the family and friends of those involved in this tragic incident. It has indeed been a sad year for GA.

levo
16th Sep 2007, 11:01
Caution .

So So SAD are those AS350 safe there seam to be a lot crash

condolences to all afected.

valve guide
16th Sep 2007, 11:06
Bravo73 pity you hadn't followed your own advice here:
"If you've got a problem with what I've been saying, please take it up via PM. Please don't muddy this thread with your worthless contributions"

This thread is for people to pass on there condolences not as, to use your own words nitpick. I think CDME was trying to let us all know that if Colin's father confimed it, that should be good enough for all us.
RIP Colin, Johnny and others.

Flying Lawyer
16th Sep 2007, 11:12
Police don't announce names of deceased until (at earliest) there has been a formal identification. SOP.
Other official organisations, eg hospitals, apply the same 'formal identification' SOP. .

Let's be realistic.
If it wasn't Colin McRae, there would have been a very quick correction following what McRae's agent told the Press late last night.

Very sad loss.
Extremely talented driver, exciting to watch in action, and always came over as a thoroughly good bloke.

FL

Another sad loss yesterday:Hurricane Pilot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3554719)

Thoughts and prayers for them and their families.

valve guide
16th Sep 2007, 11:16
Totally agree FL.

Dreadful year so far for Helicopters and aviation in general.

flymaybe
16th Sep 2007, 11:21
His offical website just has a completely black page today - I think this speaks volumes. :(

500e
16th Sep 2007, 11:35
Thinking of a friend
Condolences to rest of family

Capvermell
16th Sep 2007, 12:03
Still nothing confirmedBut when his own website now has a black page (not a Not Found page or a page does not load due to the level of traffic but a funereal black page) and the main leading press authority in that country - The Scotsman newspaper - has his death confirmed on their website surely you don't really need to wait for the excessive caution of a clearly By the Book Chief Constable to confirm the matter.

I imagine the reason it will take time to formally confirm is because the bodies are probably so horriby badly burnt that dental or DNA identification may be the only means and may take time.

Obviously this is a total tragedy having followed Colin round in person on the Rally of Great Britain in his winning championship year from the Scottish border down to Wales and Birmingham before it then later turned in to being virtually only the Rally of Wales instead of the Rally of Great Britain. Also being a passionate follower of the Paris-Dakar rally this has no doubt deprived us of seeing many further heroic drives and probable victories by Colin in that event. The scale of the tragedy for his wife, daughter, brother and parents is unimaginable. Or rather I can imagine the scale of grief and pain they will be caused but having now put in the past the unbelievable pain that I suffered from my father's own tragic, untimely and totally unexpected death from a sudden heart attack I do know that kind of pain is only ever suffered by those very close to the person even though many, many others (myself included) will be very sad indeed about Colin's tragic early loss.

Colonal Mustard
16th Sep 2007, 12:32
Can one of the mods start/modify a condolences thread and keep the "speculation" to another....similar to the nimrod one we had, if at a later stage the Families come across this site then they wont stumble into discussion of what happened when this i hoped would remain decent until at least 24hrs afterwards....:ugh:

Oh and feel free to delete this post if need be

CM

Capvermell
16th Sep 2007, 12:52
The last thing any member of the family will be doing at this time is reading this forum.

Speaking as one who lost his dad very suddenly as a long established British politician from a sudden heart attack when he appeared to be in good health I can tell you that I didn't watch almost any coverage of politics or UK parliament for about the next year.

In this kind of situation as a relative you know that others will not be hurt by the event the way you are and in general you simply avoid going to the places where you know that their more dispassionate perspective on the death may well cause you personal pain.

Heliport
16th Sep 2007, 13:13
Press Association

McRae and son killed in crash

Rally driver Colin McRae and two children - one his five-year-old son - died in the helicopter crash near his country home, police said.

Strathclyde Police said they now know the 39-year-old former world champion, his son Johnny, and two family friends died in the aircraft which burst into flames in Lanark, Scotland, on Saturday afternoon.

The other victims were named as six-year-old Ben Porcelli, of Lanark, and Graeme Duncan, 37, who lived in France.

Strathclyde Police initially said that the damage was so bad from the accident that they didn't know how many people were on board. A team of around 40 firefighters were at one point dealing with the fire.

David Richards and David Coulthard have both paid tribute to their friend.

Hedski
16th Sep 2007, 13:46
Around 1986 or '87 I remember Colin's dad Jimmy pulling up in his Sierra Cosworth at traffic lights between stages beside my dad's car and giving me a wave. As a child at the time I became a rallyhead and joined the bobble hat brigade, getting up early mornings each Easter weekend to see the Circuit of Ireland rally. Only a year or so later Colin was also coming across, I think maybe in a Nova but I have a slightly hazy memory of the car. Colin was just as friendly, signing any amount of autographs in the service parks while quickly gaining a reputation as being talented. I have followed rallying at national and WRC level avidly ever since and remember his '95 RAC win with fondness, the crowd at the finish at Chester Racecourse literally going wild!!!
Only 3 years ago, at the beginnings of my flying career I was charged with managing a hotel helipad near Dublin for a major horse racing event. On the final day amidst company 206's/109's and many corporate heli's a certain G-CBHL popped in without warning. After shutdown out climbed a very unassuming individual. I nearly dropped the radio when he turned round...... One of those moments that will stick with me forever, a true childhood hero walking over to shake my hand. "How's it goin' mate, 'names Colin" as if he needed an introduction. A brief chat about cars and helicopters, proper bloke stuff really, and off he went with his 2 friends, one of whom may have been Graeme but I can't remember, into the hotel for lunch before getting a lift with the hotel's 206 into the racecourse.
He actually came over to attend the Killarney Rally of the Lakes, which I was desperate to get to. I did think about being very cheeky and asking for a lift, he did have plenty of space. Should I? Would I? We'll never know. I did have to retrieve him from lunch briefly to make space on the pad for other aircraft, so he gave me a quick 2 minute spin in the AS350. Lovely machine, he came across as a very consciencious pilot. No fool. This sentiment was reflected in later comments by others who trained and flew with him. The first weekend of May this year I spent spectating at the 2007 Rally of the Lakes in Killarney, Ireland. Jimmy McRae was driving one of the 00 cars, a new Porsche 911 no less. I did wonder would Colin make another appearance as before to spectate given family involvement but there was no sign of him.
Colin will be a sad loss, sorely missed by so many. Sad also that he is not the first rally driver to be lost in the UK in an AS350. Multiple Irish Tarmac Rally Champion Bertie Fisher, who in the 80's competed against Jimmy and Colin and in the 90's younger brother Alistair, crashed in G-OROZ a few years ago. That day also saw the demise of Bertie's son Mark who was tipped to become Ireland's first WRC driver the following year. The reasons I will not speculate, the AAIB will perform their duties as always I'm sure.
Colin I am sure was an admirable and safe pilot, his nature in a car more aggressive, one particularly well known AS350/355 instructor in the south east claiming to have been terrified during a "quick spin" in a rally car with Colin. The famous quote "ya'v got ta drive the car like it's not yer own" aptly describes his style, but this was undoubtedly the key to Colin's success. It initially made him controversial in the early 90's with his exploits in the Rothman's Subaru Legacy's he drove. (He wrote a few off too....:O)
Apologies to anyone who feels my post digresses or goes on too long or too far. I merely thought appropriate on this sad occasion to share my thoughts, sentiments and memories of a true hero. My interests in life are flying, rugby and rallying, the latter due in no small part to Colin. I had hoped to catch him again at some point, either through contacts in the helicopter world or those in the rally scene. Maybe he might have been spotted at the forthcoming inaugural WRC round in Ireland this November, I'll be there, bobble hat on head.... It will be a cracker of a rally, even better if Colin was participating but I think no WRC team is interested in part timers anymore, pity!
My heartfelt condolences to all families involved. In particular to the McRae's, if Jimmy or Alistair read this, please take some comfort in the fantastic memories so many will have thanks to Colin. The loss of a son, brother, and also grandson and nephew is a huge blow. But anyone that causes normally sane individuals to leave home at 3 on a Sunday morning and trek into forests (usually Kielder!!!!:ok:) in rain, hail, snow and sub-zero mid-November temperatures has to be special and that he was. Having multiple computer games named after you is clear evidence.
The stages were Super-Specials,
Colin was Super fast, Super talented, Superstar!
Ladies and Gentlemen, COLIN MCRAE............... LEGEND!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

TRY2FLY
16th Sep 2007, 13:49
Too too sad:sad:. As a competitor and rally nut myself , I'm gutted . He was my hero . Goodbye to a true legend :(.

May all on board RIP

Flying Bajan
16th Sep 2007, 13:53
RIP Mr. McRae and others killed. To the surviving loved ones, strength be with you in this time of sorrow.

Cusco
16th Sep 2007, 13:57
Website now has a page giving names: Colin, his son, his son's 6 year old friend and a friend of Colin's domiciled in France.

Seems pretty definite..........

Cusco

thorpey
16th Sep 2007, 15:17
Great post Hedski, I never met `The Man`but feel gutted, especially for his family and friends, still can`t believe it.Thanks for sharing your memories, a true gentleman and an icon. RIP.

Heliport
16th Sep 2007, 15:58
Flat Spin

You do what you want to do - let others do what they want to do.

A high percentage of posts on the longest and most viewed 'tributes thread' in the history of PPRuNe were from people who didn't know the man personally, but he'd given pleasure to millions and some of them wished to say so.
Some said how much they'd miss that pleasure, and many expressed condolences to his family.

Link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200715)

We discovered later that his family did actually look at the thread, and found the contents and volume of tributes a comfort.

Heliport

as355f1
16th Sep 2007, 16:03
Flat Spin, you Complete Tit, would you like us all to pop into his home to pay our respects !!!

colin was one of the best rally drivers in the world, he will be sadly missed,
may he and his passengers RIP.

FlyerFoto
16th Sep 2007, 16:19
So sad, first Richard Burns and now Colin McRae, both people involved in a 'dangerous' sport who have lost their lives in a totally unconnected way.

One always likes to think that such people, if they don't live to a ripe old age, will always go out doing something that they love and enjoy. Commiserations to Colin's family and the families of the others involved.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Roger Clark also meet his end in an aviation incident? If so, let us hope that this is the end of the 'run of three'

Hover Bovver
16th Sep 2007, 17:09
FF,
No Roger did not meet his end in an aviation accident.

on21
16th Sep 2007, 17:13
Hover Bovver

Your thinking of Bertie Fisher, back in 2001.

mlc
16th Sep 2007, 17:15
By a bizarre twist of fate, Dave Richards (Boss of Pro Drive) survived the crash of his helicopter today! (North Weald)

Condolences to all.

rotorcraig
16th Sep 2007, 17:47
Website is very slow to respond, no doubt due high volumes of traffic, but now carries the following statements.

There is also a condolences page (http://www.colinmcrae.com/condolences.asp) "for fans and friends of Colin and his family. Please use it respectfully and responsibly."

Sunday 16th September 2007
STATEMENT ISSUED ON BEHALF OF COLIN McRAE’S FAMILY

Speaking on behalf of the whole family, Colin’s father, Jim McRae, said today:

“It is with much sadness and regret that we have to make this statement.

It is unbelievable that Colin and Johnny’s lives have been taken so prematurely and in such a tragic manner.

Colin was a great son, a loving husband to Alison and a fantastic father to Johnny and his big sister Hollie. Johnny was a great wee guy, spending every spare minute with his dad, and even at this early stage it looked like he had the potential to carry on the family dynasty.

Our thoughts are also very much with the families of Ben Porcelli and Graeme Duncan. Ben was a great buddy of Johnny’s and they had always spent a lot of time together both in and out of school. Graeme, who now resides in France, had been a close friend of Colin’s since their schooldays and was back in Lanark on holiday.

We are thankful for the overwhelming number of messages of support we have received from all around the world. Colin was very much an inspiration and role model to motorsport fans the world over.

As you can imagine this is a very difficult time for the family and we would ask that our privacy be respected and we be allowed to grieve in private.”

Sunday 16th September 2007
HELICOPTER CRASH – JERVISWOOD, LANARK

Regarding yesterday’s helicopter crash at Jerviswood, Lanark, it has now been confirmed that there were four people, two adults and two young children on board.

Although a post mortem has still to take place, the four involved are believed to be:

Mr Colin McRae (39) of Jerviswood House and his son Johnny Gavin McRae, aged 5.

Ben Porcelli (6), of Cleghorn Road, Lanark, who had been over playing with Johnny, and family friend Graeme Duncan (37), of L’Ile Degaillot, Faycelles, France.

Chief Superintendent Tim Love, Divisional Commander, South Lanarkshire Division, said today:

“We believe that the group were just returning from a visit to the nearby village of Quarter around 1605 hours yesterday, when it appears that the helicopter got into difficulty and crashed within the grounds of Mr McRae’s family home.

“Our officers are working closely with the Air Accident Investigation Team who are presently at the scene.

“Family Liaison Officers have been appointed and are with the families to help them through this distressing and difficult time.”

Please note that the families involved are not available for interview and media are asked to respect their privacy at this time.RC

Hover Bovver
16th Sep 2007, 18:29
On21,
I was replying to Flyer Foto, who thought that Roger Clarke had also died in an aviation accident.which he didnt.
Sadly I knew Bertie,Mark,Richard and Colin well.
See ya Col.

FlyerFoto
16th Sep 2007, 18:31
Thanks Hover Bovver - must have got a wire crossed somewhere - still, a sad end.....

CDME
16th Sep 2007, 18:33
Flat Spin - For your info Colin used to visit Rotorheads from time to time. I know that for a fact because we often discussed some of the things being spoken about here. How would he know if he didnt visit. ?

Also remember that his brother Alister is also a helicopter pilot and has/had a 500D/E. Cant remember which one it was that Colin told me so I wouldnt be surprised to see him stop in here.

Hover Bovver
16th Sep 2007, 18:34
500e and R44s

tbtstt
16th Sep 2007, 18:50
Its sad when anyone is killed in an aircraft, but I think its that little bit worse when its one of the few sporting personalities who's actually acheived something in their life.

I last saw Colin McRae at Goodwood this year (and nearly got brained by flying debris whilst trying to get a decent picture of him cornering!), top driver and always an entertaining performer. Always wanted to meet him, though I probably would have babbled like an idiot if I did!

Tower Ranger
16th Sep 2007, 19:07
A Hero, an absolute legend, a gentleman and above all an f`n good bloke!
What a loss!! RIP.
My condolences to the families of all those lost.

MarcJF
16th Sep 2007, 19:30
A very very sad day indeed. I feel particularly sorry for the parents of the little lad who accompanied Colin's son. No one life is more important than another, but as a parent I was just thinking how i'd feel. RIP to you all.

ex dog
16th Sep 2007, 20:20
Dear all ,sorry im not a heli person ,but well done to all of you for understanding this man was a genious in motorsport and loved his flying , heart felt to all the family's involved in a terrible accident , but as heli pilots could someone explain is Scotland a bad place to fly , i lost a close friend not so long ago in Steve Hislop another great motorsport genius ,
also was very moved by Valentino Rossi's statement today in Estoril

mjtibbs
16th Sep 2007, 21:41
The condolences page appears to have been "politley" hacked.
A script message pops up when you goto the condolences page.
<i><script>alert('What a Legend! We watched him whilst hacking ad exploiting. Our love to your family, legend! From Guvna and Cr0ss')</script>
the link:http://www.colinmcrae.com/condolences.asp
EDIT:
they must be exploiting it as I type.. the message has now changed to "RIP Colin, RIP All".
^^surely just adding a comment to the page as per normal would have sufficed.

valve guide
17th Sep 2007, 06:37
I see some people, if thats how they should be described, have posted some rather rude/disgusting messages. I hope whoever is moderating the site not only has them removed but traces their IP address and reports them to the police. Scum of scociety.

ericlday
17th Sep 2007, 08:00
Sadly missed by many, he gave so much pleasure to millions both in his motor racing and in life. The 'Legend from Lanark' will live on with Senna and Burns. Condolences to both families. R.I.P Colin

RINKER
17th Sep 2007, 12:12
Have not stopped thinking of this since Saturday, very sad; have met Colin in the past a few times in Scotland after he was introduced to me by a friend who instructed us both at different times, we spoke mainly of helicopters especially as I don,t know much about rally sport .A real gentleman condolences to the family
R

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2007, 12:17
Never met him but always admired him, both for his achievements and for himself. Came across as the sort of bloke it was just nice to know was around.

Condolences to relatives of all those lost in this accident.

Wiggly Bob
17th Sep 2007, 12:32
Saw Colin at Mallory earlier this year for the BRC show day (he came down in his 'copter too). One privateer driver asked him if he'd like a drive in his Nova. When the privateer got out of the passenger seet at the end of the two or so laps he had the biggest grin, only beaten by the bigger grin on Colins face!

A true star and from what I have seen of him on the telly over the years one of the few sportsmen with a personality. He'll be greatly missed. Along with the loss of Richard Burns a few years ago we really have lost some of the great British drivers recently.

Condolences to the family.

Big Tudor
17th Sep 2007, 13:32
A man committed to his sport, not to the celebrity lifestyle that so many of todays 'sports starts' seem to crave. Absolutely passionate about all aspects of motor sport, and a staunch supporter of the 'grass roots' levels. He was an inspiration for countless numbers of people through his determination and desire to win. The loss to his family must be unbearable.

RIP Colin.

noelwj
17th Sep 2007, 14:51
For both pilots and rally fans living over here in Northern Ireland this very sad accident brings back a reminder of the Sunday we lost one of Irelands top rally drives Bertie Fisher and a number of his family also in a helicopter accident. Words just cannot express how deeply grieved we feel at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Mc Rea family and the families of the other less well known victims right now.

Graviman
17th Sep 2007, 18:35
I never met the guy, although Lanark is a stones throw away. I have seen him drive, and it was incredible. I imagine his aircraft awareness skills matched his automotive balancing skills. As a celebrity, from all accounts, unassuming.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

CDME
20th Sep 2007, 20:57
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/header.jpg

RIP Col, it was always great to chat and sms. You will never be forgotten my friend. May u and Johnny look down on Alison and Holie and keep them safe.

:(:(:(