PDA

View Full Version : Wireless refuses to travel!!

indie cent
14th Sep 2007, 20:06
I would be hugely appreciative if anybody can help on this matter.

Every time I power up my laptop, the message “Another wireless network utility is communicating with the Intel PRO/Wireless adapter” appears.

Internet connection then happily connects using the BT homehub. (Indeed my problems only arose after loading the BT internet package of software.)

However, when on travels and trying to connect to a wifi zone at an airport etc.

The same “Another wireless adapter…” message appears and all connection with the internet is lost.

I’ve tried:

Opening the Intel PROset software.
Using Intel PROset to manage wireless.
Both these fixes are overridden and the same message appears.

Also the troubleshooter and Help menu’s reveal nothing.

If you go via the control panel to view available networks, the Choose a wireless network displays “Windows cannot configure this wireless connection…”

The BT helpline weren't.:rolleyes:

This is driving me nuts!! As I mentioned any help appreciated.

My formerly portable laptop is a Sony Vaio running on windows XP.

Help!

Saab Dastard
14th Sep 2007, 21:35
You can't have 2 applications trying to control 1 wifi NIC, so you need to disable either the Windows or the Intel wifi configuration utility.

Personally I favour using the Windows XP built-in utility, not least because it is the same, irrespective of wifi NIC, so it is easier to support. It is also pretty good!

If it is something that BT home hub has done, I can;t help, as I don't have it.

But it should be possible to remove the non-Windows utility, even if it means de-installing it. As long as you keep the NIC driver, Windows can manage the wifi connection.

SD

green granite
15th Sep 2007, 07:22
Agreed Saab, another point is that "normal routers" IP address is 192.168.0.1
the BT home hub IP address is 192.168.0.254 this could be causing confusion depending on how the connection properties are configured.

Saab Dastard
15th Sep 2007, 12:47
problems only arose after loading the BT internet package of software.

So uninstall it! Then ensure that only Windows is configuring your wifi card.

As regards the router LAN address - this won't be a problem, assuming that the router is set up to provide DHCP addresses, and the laptop is set to request a DHCP address.

SD