PDA

View Full Version : LHR Transit Strategy

Lily Rowan
14th Sep 2007, 14:36
Next week, I will transit through LHR. I have had many previous encounters with Heathrow – both arriving in London and transiting through; however, I have one question for my next journey and hope that one or two of you may be able to provide some insights.

For my transfer from T4 to T1 (and the reverse journey), would it be quicker / less annoying to exit through Customs, take the Heathrow Express to the next terminal, and re-enter the secure area, or should I just trudge through the airside lines and take the Tour de Tarmac? :ugh:

My flight arrives at the height of the morning international rush (7 a.m.), and I’ll have access to Fast Track Immigration and Security lines – which doesn’t seem to make much difference in transit but always seems to have benefits when entering the airport from the outside and, when Fast Track is open, at immigration (which is why I’m considering this exit-and-reentry plan).

I have a US passport, so no Visa issues to worry about – though I wonder if the Immigration officer might not be too pleased. Could I be refused entry when I don’t plan to leave the airport and don’t have enough transit time to claim that I’m going into London for a few hours? :confused:

OTOH, the last time I transferred terminals at LHR, the security officers instructed people to exit through customs in order to check their un-consolidated second carry-on bags. :suspect:

All thoughts appreciated – thanks!
:8

wub
14th Sep 2007, 14:44
Personally I always keep airside when transferring from T4 to T1 (unless I am using the BA arrivals lounge in T4). There are several reasons for staying airside, not least is the need to go through security at T1 again. This can be a nightmare at peak times plus of course becaue of the liquid restrictions, if you have bought duty-free alcohol on board the international flight, they will confiscate it at T1.

The time factor is important, as the trudge to Heathrow Express is considerable and at peak times the trains will be packed. Stay airside is my 2 cents worth.

MrSoft
14th Sep 2007, 19:23
Well, T4 to T1 transit is beyond ghastly. I often mused on just exiting T4 and taking a taxi round. Would love to hear from someone who tried it.

Wub, I am confused - if you stay airside (aka follow "flight connections" signs), you still have to go thru security at Flight Connections and they will still confiscate your Duty Free/liquids etc. As of this week the 1-bag only rule is still in force too.

Sometimes, T1 Flight Connections - ie. that bit at the top of the escalator that you now have to queue to join :{ - they spit you out through the "Arrivals" immigration, and you have to re-enter all over again; sometimes they send you leftwards through the dedicated Flight Connections security. Both about equal experiences ie. enough to suck out your very soul.

I landed 0630 from Cape Town (T4) this Wednesday and could not even make the 0845 up to MAN (T1). Be aware, it seems to be getting even worse.

Forgot to say - transit in the other direction ie. T1 to T4 is in my experience pretty painless.

PAXboy
14th Sep 2007, 22:25
When I saw the thread name in the listing I thought, Is someone asking about the LHR strategy on transit passengers? To which the answer is simple: No, they have no strategy for transit passengers.

strake
14th Sep 2007, 22:30
Lily. are you flying premium and/or who with?

Ps.
I notice you have Fast Track but question still stands

Lily Rowan
15th Sep 2007, 12:17
I’m traveling premium with BA (Club, not First).

I know that I’m not special and should just trudge through the lines with the other cattle….er, people. I’m just extremely impatient, and the upstairs-downstairs maze is so inefficient and, as MrSoft accurately noted, soul sucking....

10secondsurvey
15th Sep 2007, 16:35
If you are arriving T4 and flying BA club, you will have access to the BA fast track in flight connections when transferring to T1.

As with all things, it could all go wrong, but usually, when flying BA club,first, gold, the quickest route is via flight connections T1,2,3. that is, stay airside, get the BA bus to flight connections, go through BA fast track (sometime hard to spot amongst the 'scrum').

From arrival at the BA fast track, it'll take around ten to fifteen minutes (usually) at most to get to BA terminal 1 terraces (if that's where you are going).

If you go landside from T4, then when going back airside at T1, you will not get priority to domestic UK T1 security (if that's where you are going).

As regards Bags, I'm afraid one piece of hand luggage (with liquids in poly bag) is RIGIDLY enforced, so if you can check your bags all the way to your final destination, I would recommend it, and just take one piece of hand luggage.

It doesn't always work, but having done it quite a few times, it is usually the least hassle via flight connections - but only if you can use BA fast track (which you can if you arrive on BA club flight).

Bit long winded, but not sure where your final destination is UK or EU?

MrSoft
16th Sep 2007, 13:40
Hey 10second I am intrigued now - I never saw a special BA Fast track before to connect T4 and T1. Where do we go? In my experience the long miserable pilgrimage includes everybody, even pax from F looking a bit out of place/stunned etc. T1 Terraces is wonderful when you get there, no question.

SLF3
16th Sep 2007, 17:13
I work for a British company with volume deals with BA. We are required to use BA wherever possible. However, our corporate position on transferring between flights at LHR is to find another route.

This includes transfers within T4.

Sad, but true.

10secondsurvey
17th Sep 2007, 07:33
The fast track exists at T1,2,3 flight connections. Get off the plane at T4, go to flight connections (remember there are two options when getting off the plane, FC T4 or FC T1,2,3 - just make sure you don't take FC T4) via BA bus. This takes you via airport underground tunnel quickly from T4 to flight connections (T1,2,3). As you go up escalator when you get off bus, you will find a mass scrum to go through security.

Just to the left of the scrum of a queue for the regular security line ,you will find usually, a blue BA sign and a nice BA chappie (or girl), who will check you have the correct credentials, which are travelling from or to BA club/first flight, or BA/oneworld gold card equivalent. They are usually pretty strict, although they sometimes (rarely!) let other BA pax connecting from a heavily delayed flight. this gets you through a completely separate security line

It can take as little as around 2 minutes to get through the BA fast track security, but in peak periods, as much as 5 to 10 mins. Still always much faster than regular security line.

If in doubt ask your incoming flight crew for details.

Most ff pax know of this fast track, and it's also indicated in the BA inflight magazine.

I would stress however, that if you don't qualify to go through the BA fast track, sometimes the best option is to get the bus to flight connections, then take the route out through passport control, and then walk over to T1 to re-enter security and go back airside.

I seriously doubt you will ever get a London taxi to take you from one terminal to another, unless you offered a very subtsantial bribe.

Once you get through the security at FC T1,2,3, if you are travelling to UK T1 domestic terraces, you will need to go through passport control, but usually this is not like the main arrival passport control, and the queue is often only 5 to ten long (for non UK passprt holders). For UK passport holders, the queue is usually shorter, 1 or 2 people waiting.

I have used this route many times, and it usually works out quickest, but I'm no expert, and someone else may find on any given day, that other routes are better.

Connecting from BA T1 domestic flights to BA T4, is usually very quick, as somebody else said.

merlinxx
17th Sep 2007, 12:12
Avoid "thiefrow aka Hounslow bus garage" find a people friendly transit

MrSoft
17th Sep 2007, 13:33
Wow, turn left at the top of the escalator! I am usually catatonic by the time I get to that bit. Must pay more attention. Thanks 10secondsurvey.

jaycee46
17th Sep 2007, 16:04
I will be doing the T1 domestic to T4 long haul BA, pretty soon.

A couple of you have alluded to the fact that it is generally ok, but I have heard umpteen stories of baggage not getting the connection. I was considering reclaiming it at T1 and getting HEX to T4 and rechecking it. (the opposite of what Lily is suggesting) I've deliberately left plenty of time between flights, and will check in online, but as it is only a short trip, lost baggage is not an option! I would appreciate some input.

We are travelling WTPlus, so do we get to use the fast track too? - I know I could look it up, but I'm sure some of you guys will be able to help.

Lily Rowan
17th Sep 2007, 17:53
Thanks for your thoughts 10 Sec.

I agree that, once you get to security and to the fast-track there, it’s a quick process. Initially, I was hoping to minimize all of the lines – especially the one at the bottom of the escalator and the one at the top of the escalator (used to control flow into the security-screening area), which are the most de-moralizing ones. From the comments here, it appears that I will simply need to mentally prepare myself for the process and face it with a good attitude and a healthy dose of pragmatism. Looking forward to taking a shower once I get to T1 Terraces should help get me through! :D

MrSoft
18th Sep 2007, 05:45
You need a very healthy dose of good humour, not helped by the sarcastic staff "humour" with which they entertain the queue ("no fighting!", "cheer up folks you're getting out of England" :mad:). What a national embarrassment it is; I usually end up chatting and being nice to overseas tourists just to try and sustain their belief that the UK is a civilised place.

Jaycee, WTP wouldn't normally get you in the fast track nor Terraces. Re-checking your bag sounds risky, I only ever lost two bags inside Heathrow in 10 yrs plus so I can't really complain.

Like everything Heathrow does have a strategy; the strategy is to value transit passengers below retail business. The security queue at T1 FC occupies about the same footprint as that deserted World of Caviar nonsense (or whatever it's called), upon which you can gaze longingly while queueing.