PDA

View Full Version : Headset for airliner

visualappr
14th Sep 2007, 08:52
Hello guys,
I've been flying the 737-300/400 for the past nine years. The noise level on the flightdeck is very high and therefore I want to invest in getting a good headset.
I'm looking to get some feedback from people who have done the same.
I've heard there are some lightweight models consisting of earplugs and a light boom with ANR. Can anybody confirm this ? Or do I have to wear the heavier models like the Bose or Telex headsets for general aviation ?

Dreamshiner
14th Sep 2007, 09:16
In a similar tact as the post starter I have a bose headset, I was wondering if its possible to remove one of the earcups and replace it with something to enable me to keep my left ear free to speak to the captain.

I'm unsure if its all wired up and can be removed. Ideally it would be fitted with a piece of plastic contoured to fit above the ear and hold the set against my head.

Kiltie
14th Sep 2007, 10:10
I found the Sennheiser HMC ANR had quite a clamping effect around the head after a couple of hours. Bose-X and DC are a little large for the jet environment and don't allow one-ear-off use.

Many of my colleagues use the Plantronics MS30-2 StarSet; I've just ordered one from the States. Google and you will find. Be sure to order the one with the two jack-plugs as they come with a single plug as standard.

Dani
14th Sep 2007, 10:15
just a hint: 737 cockpit is one of the most quiet cockpit of an airliner. You obviously newer flew any other aircraft.

If you do a google search, you find lots of different makes and types. Lightweight is relative, but there are lighter ones than the bulky ones. Sporty's, Transair and other online shops are offering online.

hth,
Dani

Denti
14th Sep 2007, 14:41
We get company provided Sennheiser HME 25 however those break apart quite often and if you wear glasses hurt quite a lot after a few sectors. Therefore i bought me a new Telex 850 ANR which doesn't need any battery boxes to work its ANR. So far i'm very pleased with it, its light weight, not too much pressure on the ears and quite good ANR effect without any problems on our 737 classics. The only thing is if i key the handmike the ANR breaks down since apparently the headset mike isn't powered anymore so i just dont use it. Same of course is true if you wear the quick donning mask.

visualappr
19th Sep 2007, 09:26
Well Dani,
you're right. I've only flewn the 737 up till now. And ok, if in your opinion it's a quiet cockpit, fine. However, recent surveys have shown that the noise level in the classic can get up to 87 dB which can lead to permanent hearing damage. So in my opinion, a good headset is a very good investment.

Thank's a lot for your feedback so far !

:D:D

P1GLX
22nd Sep 2007, 15:29
After 20+ years in the job in a large variety of types and classes the Bose X is without any question the best I have ever used, a little expensive but worth every penny. You can also upcup one ear when flying pressurised jet types and it remains comfortable, I have flown up to 12 hour sectors with the Bose in great comfort. Dave Clark H20-10 also not bad as is the 13.4. Overall if you can afford the £700 for the Bose its money well spent, after all you are only issued with one set of ears - they are worth looking after!

Safe flying

AltFlaps
22nd Sep 2007, 20:12
I've gone the other way, and use a Plantronics MS50-TS-2 (similar to the Telex Pro 5x5) ...

Basically a one ear head set with custom earmould ...

Absolutely superb - and you can even keep your glasses on your head !

visualappr
28th Sep 2007, 08:05
Any info on the "Clarity Aloft" ?

A Very Civil Pilot
28th Sep 2007, 09:28
Sennheiser HMEC 25 KA:

ANR
Lightweight
Moveable ear cup
Padded ears

It's done me good service for the padt 4 years on 737 classic.

(note: it's not the cheap Sennheiser 25 that most airlines provide)

CasperA320
28th Sep 2007, 09:47
Have just received the very latest Sennheiser HMEC- 46-B-K with the Airbus plug and is great on the A320 Cost 950 Singapore Dollars
Can order with Boeing plug, and isnt on their web sites yet

Dreamshiner
28th Sep 2007, 10:46
I would have just thought in this day and age someone somewhere would be tinkeringly minded enough to alter a bose X to allow one ear use and replacement of a nice little head cushion to fit above the ear closest to the other pilot.

I know a guy who went to maplin and bought a few components off the shelf and made his own 2 pin to airbus connector for £15 opposed to £60ish from all the pilot shops.

ap10046
3rd Oct 2007, 05:30
Hi guys, my first post.
I have been using my DC 10-13 ANR's for about 3 months in a new SKA B200. They are nice but I do find them quite heavy and not too comfortable with glasses on (maybe this is just me).
Are there any headsets, apart from the Bose, that would be light (unobtrusive would be nice) with good ANR capability and suitable for the SKA deck?
I use Sennheisers at home and they are very good. Does this carry over to their av headsets too? if so, which would you guys recommend? I like the look of the HMEC 25s(?) and also the Telex ANR500. Any experience in a turboprop deck with these.
Sorry for the questions.
Cheers!

Dream Land
3rd Oct 2007, 07:36
Been using the Clarity Aloft headset for almost one year, very comfortable, excellent sound quality, my preference though would be for the company to change the ear piece to an ear bud device like the ones available for MP3 players.

Farrell
3rd Oct 2007, 08:12
Drifting slightly off thread here.

I have often pondering this ANR thing.

Is it a physical reduction of sound, or is it a trick your brain kind of thing?

If it's the latter, then is there still a chance of receiving ear damage?

lc_aerobatics
3rd Oct 2007, 08:17
"Any info on the "Clarity Aloft" ?"

Clarity is great, it's good for GA and line flying, very comfortable and light.
A lot of aerobatic pilots are using that so it proves good noise protection (Pitts is bit more noisy than 737).

Mungo Man
3rd Oct 2007, 09:14
Farrell, ANR is a physical reduction in sound and it is bloody amazing. If you ever get the chance then borrow an ANR headset, but be sure to test it for a decent length of time, not just 2 mins or so because it does sound so different and takes a bit of getting used to. Once tested you will want one - its makes ATC so very clear and noticeably reduces fatigue after a long day.

Warning, don't borrow a friends Bose-x for a 4 sector duty if you can't afford to buy one afterwards like I did! I could only afford a DC10.13 with aftermarket ANR - the sound quality is as good as the Bose but its not quite so light although I find it pretty comfy to wear at work.

Looker
3rd Oct 2007, 11:01
I have been using the Sennheiser HMEC 25 KA for about a year now. The differences from a non ANR headset are very noticeable and I could not be persuaded to return to the airline issued headset now.

The major benefits that are immediately apparent are that you can now turn down all the volume levels on your comms control box, ATC become clear although not always logical and background noise is virtually eliminated.

I would agree that cup pressure on the arms of sunglasses can be mildly annoying.

Long term benefits are more difficult to judge but I'm not prepared to risk hearing loss for such a reasonable investment - and the capital investment is tax deductible so it becomes even more affordable.

Looker

ap10046
4th Oct 2007, 03:36
Would the HMEC 25's be a better buy than than the Bose? Again it is for a B200? I ask only because they are both substantially expensive and we are supposed to provide for headsets on our own..are they uncomfortable with a pair of sunnies like the Ray Ban Aviators?