PDA

View Full Version : 146 and Bizjet formation tonight

Aerostar6
13th Sep 2007, 20:29
Putting the kids to bed tonight around 1930 when a 146 with a small bizjet glued to its left wing whistled over my house in Amersham at about 1000' heading west. Anyone want to 'fess up?:)

Ghostie31
13th Sep 2007, 21:02
came over Oxford heading east. I presumed they were military from Halton.

stevehudd
13th Sep 2007, 21:38
What Superglue did they use? :p

K.Whyjelly
13th Sep 2007, 21:40
Only "military" at Halton, flying wise, are the gliders belonging to the based VGS.

If the aircraft mentioned were 'from' Halton then it would have had something to do with a flypast for an airman/women's passing out parade.

Endeavour
13th Sep 2007, 21:49
I was driving up the M25 as they made an approach into Northolt.

It looked like a RAF BAe-125 CC3 in formation with a BAe-146-100 Statesman.

Diedtrying
13th Sep 2007, 22:37
Royal flight RAF Northolt.

F100 driver
13th Sep 2007, 22:47
Yes, I saw it too whilst playing golf at Wexham. Very unusual sight in these parts. I'd quite forgotten about the military HS125s. What are they doing over here??

JOE-FBS
13th Sep 2007, 23:02
I saw them over Haddenham (between Aylesbury and Thame) at c.1900 and heading West but turning South, assumed it was 32 squadron. They were impressively close!

It's a nice change to see some real military stuff here. Normally, we only get the occasional black Hawk (presumably for passing out parades at Halton?) and helicopters from Benson but usually it's airliners and GA only. This last week has been better, we have had a Spitfire and Hurricane team (Saturday afternoon) and a Hunter pair (Sunday evening). Oh well, I intend to get a good fix at the RAFA benefit show at Shoreham this weekend.

PS real spotter question, are they still called Dominies if they are transport rather than trainer versions?

Dannyboyblue
13th Sep 2007, 23:03
Guessing as it was such a cracking evening low level they may have been doing a photo shoot.

PeteBee
14th Sep 2007, 00:46
PS real spotter question, are they still called Dominies if they are transport rather than trainer versions?

No - technically no

The Dominie is correctly known as the Dominie T1

but the other variants are designated as HS125 CC1, CC2 and CC3

The Difference being that the Dominie is powered by 2 Rolls-Royce Vipers and the HS125s are powered by twin Garret Turbofans

and if you are interested the Dominie is used for advanced Nav (i.e. high speed and at height levels where as the HS125s are used for VIP and Comms duties

And in case that made me sound like a complete spotter - one of my roles is teaching aircraft recognition to the local Air Cadet squadron so I have the manual handy.

CHINOOKER
14th Sep 2007, 09:21
Although i was at work yesterday evening,my "better half" saw these fly over Northolt along with an impressive series of "flybys" by a spitfire!.....Apparently Northolt had a "sunset ceremony" yesterday evening,as an event prior to the Battle of Britain comemoration this weekend!. Spitfire is scheduled to do a similar display at Halton tonight!

JOE-FBS
14th Sep 2007, 09:30
Thanks PeteBee. I suppose calling the transport versions Dominie would be inappropriate since I think it comes from the Latin for teacher (we got a good education at my comprehensive in a South Yorkshire pit village in the early 80s).

So you still do aircraft recognition in the ATC? In about 1983, I trained and led my squadron to the national finals where we were firmly shown how to do it by the Observer Corps and finished 7th!