PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar XX977 Cockpit Restoration

Paul C
27th May 2007, 02:42
I am looking for information regarding the accident that grounded this aircraft, all I know so far is that during 1984 when on the strength of 31 Squadron it clipped a tower at Charwelton and made an emergency landing at RAE Bedford (Thurleigh). Does anyone have any extra info such as pilot name, where it was coming from/to, what was it doing, photos of the damage (or the aircraft in general)? Any help is greatly appreciated
Paul

mike rondot
29th May 2007, 09:52
Paul C. Check your PMs

Paul C
12th Sep 2007, 14:47
Hello,
I am trying to get in contact with Mick Jennings ex Coltishall in regards to a Jaguar cockpit restoration, I believe he now lives in Australia? Please PM me if you can help.
Thanks Paul

vmv2
12th Sep 2007, 15:05
There is a Coltishall room in the Radar Museum at Neatishead and I am sure that Mr Jennings was involved in setting it up. An email to them might answer your question - [curator at radarmuseum.co.uk]

rolandpull
12th Sep 2007, 17:52
pm'd you the email address I have.

moley67
14th Oct 2007, 10:00
I have details of Mick Jennings if you have had no joy contacting him?
Cheers.

Paul C
3rd Dec 2007, 04:16
Hello All

Could anyone help fill in the details of serials 1-5 and 12-14 on the attached photo, it is from a 31 Squadron Jaguar and dated Jun 1984.

Thanks in advance
Paul

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=158352&stc=1&thumb=1 (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=158352)

Warmtoast
4th Dec 2007, 11:41
Probable answers to 1 to 5 can be seen here:
http://www.serbnews.com/freq1.html

Kitbag
4th Dec 2007, 12:29
Thawes

Sorry, not really, the Serb conflict was rather later than June 1984. That frequency card that Paul C is trying to restore/replicate would have RAFG allocated frequencies and they were different/not applicable to your link, f'rinstance see ser 6 the NATO ATC Common Freq 340.3. It doesn't get a look in on your link.

Paul C, good luck I am sure there will be someone out there with knowledge of the freqs

Warmtoast
4th Dec 2007, 16:28
Kitbag

Point taken, but you’ll note I did qualify my reply with the prefix “Probable”.

Common UHF frequencies, especially those allocated by NATO tend not to change very often and as you are doubtless aware, there have been only two major changes to UK and European NATO UHF frequency assignments in the last twenty years; the most recent took place in January 2006 and before that way back in 1987. Despite these re-alignments many European NATO Common UHF frequencies have retained their original purpose over the years, NATO ‘Tower’ and ‘Approach’ being good examples.

Which is why if you look at the frequencies assigned to Studs 2 -5 in Paul C’s photo; they are all followed by partially identifiable letters such as ‘NA’ ‘N’ or ‘NAT’. In the circumstances I think it is reasonable to make an informed guess that the common use for these frequencies is as allocated by NATO for the tasks listed in the web link.

Stud 1 which shows ‘Dutc’ (function not shown) is odd. Currently the frequency has a NATO Common allocation as ‘Fixer’, so assuming there has been no change in the purpose of the NATO allocated frequency over the years Stud 1 may well have read ‘Dutch Fixer’.

Chris Kebab
4th Dec 2007, 19:00
Dutch Mil.

One of them would also probably be Clutch.

H Peacock
4th Dec 2007, 19:33
I was completing IOT at Cranwell in 1986/7, and I am sure that a few of the Flt Cdrs were there for various misdemeanours. I can recall at least 2 pilots that had been sent to IOT as a punishment (that is what I was told!) Now one of them bent a big aeroplane in Canada, and I'm sure the other hit a mast in a Jaguar. Can't remember the Jag guy's full name, but I'll do some digging. (Cres....something).

Cyclone733
4th Dec 2007, 20:29
Try searching the frequency against this list http://www.javiation.co.uk/vu.html
eg 385.40 NATO PAR
Not saying it's going to be the exact placarded name, but should give some hints

Edit: Just had another look the frequencies are from 97 so may have changed. Is that Bruggen VECTOR on the right hand side?

Paul C
5th Dec 2007, 01:08
Thanks for the links Thawes and Cyclone733, this is what I have come up with after a close look at the remainder of the chart, if anyone knows for sure please let us know;
1. 317.5 DUTCH ......
2. 257.8 Probably NATO TOWER, I can see a WE in the remains
3. 385.4 Probably NATO RADAR APPROACH
4. 344.0 Probably NATO RADAR/DIRECTOR
5. 362.3 Probably NATO APPROACH CONTROL

12. Unknown
13. ____ CLUTCH
14. 2_4.40 BRUGGEN DIRECTOR

H Peacock, I have already been in contact with the pilot of 'my' plane so there is no need to go digging although the thought is appreciated.

Cheers Paul