PDA

View Full Version : What now???

dubster
12th Sep 2007, 14:02
Right here goes ,I have recently been chopped/failed/rtu'd however you want to put it from a military flying course. I had completed 12 of the 14 month course but found i just couldnt get the tactics side sorted.So after 250hrs flying (75 fixed wing 175 on AS350) i now find myself back doing my original job.So what do i do now ,obviously as it was a military course i have no exam passes or licences so will i have to do the whole lot again including all of the hours?? (Nothing wrong with my actual flying i was told,just ran out of time!) Any feed back is welcome.Thanks.:bored:

170'
12th Sep 2007, 18:30
Dubster.

Your not the first and won't be the last. You probably feel down right now?...But look on the bright side. The hours are still a real valuable asset if you choose to continue

I'll leave the advice about what you have to do now to more learned advisors. But good luck with civilian ops if that's the way you go...

Best rgds...170'

Mama Mangrove
12th Sep 2007, 18:49
dubster,

Stick with it. There are many people who have made a great success of the civil world after being chopped by the military. There was a pilot in Bristow who I think achieved 20,000 hours as Captain on S61 after being chopped and one of my friends had a very successful career as both pilot and aircraft salesman.

Camp Freddie
12th Sep 2007, 20:58
hey dubster,

I reguarly fly with 2 guys who were both chopped and are now both offshore captains pulling in about £80k.

they recovered from it, I hope you do too.

regards

CF

hihover
12th Sep 2007, 21:02
Dubster,

Unfortunately, there has to be a limit on time in the military schools, that is the currency used.

I do not know your circumstances but I would say that you must have talent to have got to 250 hours. You should take encouragement in that.

Also, after 250 hours in the air, I doubt very much you want to work on the ground ever, ever again. If that is the case you're option is to get down to work and make it happen or sit back and watch your flying career become a memory.

Now is the time to get on with it whilst the info is fresh. If I were you, I'd get myself onto the next available ATPL Ground Exams course, get a PPL(H) if you haven't already (you should need very little training for this if you do it in a Squirrel).

Then you are ready to do the CPL Module and flight test.

You could be a Commercial Pilot in 6 months. You have a huge advantage over most. It all depends on you.

I know several top quality young men who did not make it in the military but are good pilots.

Good Luck

tam

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
13th Sep 2007, 06:07
dubster,

The encouragement in the posts above is all correct. I got through a military pilot course a long time ago by the skin of my teeth. Everyone worse than me was chopped and I then failed my FHT, scraping through on the morning of the wings parade !! So don't lose hope mate. :ok:

My advice would be to sign off the military and while you're working your notice period get a PPH (H) which should be a breeze at your stage. You can use that to keep your hand in. Then do the ATPL(H) crammer as a resettlement course so HMG pay for it. With 250 hours and a frozen ATPL you should get a starter job with any of the majors.

Good Luck !!

NEO

dubster
13th Sep 2007, 11:33
Thanks 170,Mama M,CF,Tam and Neo. All advise has been taken on board.As you can imagine been on a bit of a downer but thiers no way i want to let all that blood,sweat and tears go to waste so i will pursue the dream and go for it....:):ok::)