PDA

View Full Version : Polar Air Cargo 747-400 Cockpits

B-HKD
11th Sep 2007, 19:30
I have been wondering about the different 744 cockpit set ups.

Question regarding PO's 744's

Does N453PA have the CRT displays but digital MCP numbers?

And does N454PA have LCD displays and digital MCP numbers but no digital ISDF ?

Leo

zerozero
12th Sep 2007, 19:29
Hi Leo.

I'm not a Polar pilot (or even a -400 pilot) so I can't answer your questions.

But I think if your question was moved over to the "Freight Dogs" forum it might get the attention of a Polar pilot. I agree it's a technical question and properly placed.

So how about it Mods? Can we help this young man get his question answered?

:cool:

16down2togo
14th Sep 2007, 14:14
Hello,
I'm not a Polar pilot but a -400 driver and I can tell you that things get swapped around in the fleet during maintenance actions. So you might find a fairly new -400 with LCD displays and stby instruments but with an analogue MCP as well as any mix of CRT and LCD combinations and older aircraft with a digital MCP and so on.
They only have their original configuration until something breaks and then it might be exchanged with whatever is on stock.
Hope I could help.

B-HKD
15th Sep 2007, 22:08
Fully makes sence and i have thought about that, just wanted to know how things are currently standing at on those two planes :)

Leo

Woolsack
21st Sep 2007, 20:36
I am no longer a Polaroid as I 'retired' at Age 60, but I was there a long time so I do know the answer. All the Polar 400s were ordered by GE at the same time and were identical to each other. When new they all had CRTs but it was decided a few years ago that they would be replaced with LCDs when a replacement became necessary. This was due to increased reliability and a longer shelf life. Therefore, the aircraft may have different types of screens, or even an intermix. As with TVs so it is in aviation...LCDs rule.