PDA

View Full Version : CAP over London

foreverarefour
11th Sep 2007, 11:44
My bro works in Canary Wharf, has just txtd me asking why there's a couple of Apaches flying over London!

I have no idea but I'm guessing its because its Sep 11th, and they're there as a deterrent, although heard nothing on the news.

Any ideas?

Pontius Navigator
11th Sep 2007, 11:49
He is a trained and qualified in aircraft recognition? Even aircrew tend to identify helicopters accurately as Chinook, medium and small :}

On Friday I noticed at least two choppers flying over.

One was the regular police one at Buck House. The other was advertising something with a b:mad:y great banner.

greycoat
11th Sep 2007, 11:56
Green helos over London. Must be tuesday then - you can almost set your calendar by them. Always nice to see, particularly if not from street level.

Flatiron
11th Sep 2007, 11:58
It was a two Apache Longbow in formation.

greycoat
11th Sep 2007, 12:07
http://www.dsei.co.uk/

could also have something to do with this event in East London/Docklands

cornish-stormrider
11th Sep 2007, 12:09
They are doing overwatch on the mp's lunch lorry. Apparently there is a raid warning "Prescott" out on the lorry:E

Mr C Hinecap
11th Sep 2007, 12:19
I've just seen them here somewhere near a main arterial route somewhere North of last reported location.

It must be the same ones - we can't have more than two flying can we? :suspect:

Razor61
11th Sep 2007, 12:28
Perhaps the Hawk pilot holding at 43,000ft over London last night thought he was a CAP pilot too ;)

foreverarefour
11th Sep 2007, 12:34
fair enough,

That'll be nothing interesting there then!

yes he must be a fully qualified plane spotter - he's in the spacies!

cornish-stormrider
11th Sep 2007, 17:22
Unless its your sarnies they are guarding:ok:

+SHRA
11th Sep 2007, 20:25
Heard them on the radio and they seemed to just be going from A to B. The controller asked them and also an EC 135 to hold at Westminster, so nothing sinister even if they did look pretty mean and in a very tight and tidy formation when they past me!

West Coast
11th Sep 2007, 21:20
"He is a trained and qualified in aircraft recognition?"

One need not be "trained and qualified" as you put it to know differing types of helicopters.

PPRuNe Pop
11th Sep 2007, 21:47
They, and the Navy ships moored in the dock, are all to do with the Defence Exhibition. They will all be there again to-morrow - apparently.

Champagne Anyone?
11th Sep 2007, 21:59
Actually they were being displayed to ACPO, a gathering of High Ranking Met Police Officers in this instance, as the Police helo's have become known as a toothless tiger.

I can reveal that there have been several orders placed for these 'Observation and Termination' platforms, as they are known as in civillian guise, for use in day to day policing. The MET being the first to sign a deal.

Should make the friday evenings 'Pat and Craig' police shows a little more interesting.

chopper2004
12th Sep 2007, 07:13
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287419&page=167

Check out Page 167 of the gallery of Rotorheads Around the World, front office view of WAH-64D over London

orgASMic
12th Sep 2007, 08:10
And while you are ther, scroll down to Post 3338. Never seen flight attendants like that before.