PDA

View Full Version : Realistic FI views

miket_68
11th Sep 2007, 08:19
All.
I am currently looking into the CPL FI route.
I trained on a Hughes 269 as I exceed (currently) the max pilots weight for the R22.
Am I realistically going to get a job as a FI when I could only teach in R44, Hughes, 206 etc etc.
What is the max weight a FI SHOULD be for the R22, I know what the max pilot weight is but that would then limit my students / passengers to feather weights or super models.
I await your answers, I have broad shoulders so dont be shy, if the gym is the only anwser then I can see that as my motivation, otherwise wiring my jaw together, stomache stapling.
Current weight (now we are allowed to continue using imperial measurements, thanks Europe) 17st.
Light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance,.
:ok:

helimutt
11th Sep 2007, 09:17
My advice is to lose some weight. Not being funny here, but seriously, if your weight is an issue anyway, maybe this is the motivation you need.

It's not too difficult to lose a stone or so over about 2 months. Eat small sensible meals, often throughout the day. Keep off the drink. No take aways (I know I know, not easy) and exercise. By exercise you only need to raise your heart rate and 20 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week on a running machine at 6 mph will be enough for that. It's not as if you'll need a huge lifestyle change and it'll do you good too. Good for keeping that Class 1 current.

You're right that the more you weigh the less your student can weigh. There are a couple of instructors I know flying R22's who are definitely over 17st. They are breaking the rules but hey, nothing I can do about it.
There are more R22's available to teach on in the UK than the other types, but that's not to say you won't fly other types. I take it you're in UK.

Good luck.

Bravo73
11th Sep 2007, 10:14
Am I realistically going to get a job as a FI when I could only teach in R44, Hughes, 206 etc etc.

Honest answer? No. The two main providers for 300 training (OAT and BHH) either don't operate any more or, at best, the future is a bit shaky.

I would be very surprised if you could find a Robinson operator who would let you just do the R44 training. Primarily this is because there isn't a lot of it around so it is often considered as 'advanced training'. This, in turn, is used as a 'carrot' for those FIs who have cut their teeth on 22s.

What is the max weight a FI SHOULD be for the R22

Any more than about 14st and you will be fuel limited for any practical purposes. (Or, you will have to rely on your student being very light. And, generally speaking, they're not!)

Sorry to not sound very positive but I hope that this helps.

VeeAny
11th Sep 2007, 10:52
The 300 route is not necessarily all doom and gloom, AH Helicopters operate at least 1 from Dunkeswell. Bournemouth Helicopters also had one last time I spoke to them. Helicentre Liverpool have one.

Cabair Helicopters bought two brand new 300s earlier this year, and operate them from Blackbushe and (either rochester or Elstree, cant remember).
I think they were considering more dependant upon how those two worked out.

I don't the Cabair ones will be working as hard perhaps as the OAT or BHHs ones did initially as they obviously have some students mid R22 course and they'll probably want to finish on that type (my assumption).

However if you look at the number of R22s in schools compared to everything else the conclusion does seem to be that if you need to instruct you'll probably want an R22 Type Rating as well and FI rating.

As helimutt says there are people out there who fly overweight, but its not their licences that'll be up for review, if and when you get caught doing it (I know you didn't suggest you would, I am just making a point albeit badly), chances are no one will even look until an incident occurs.

GS

Bravo73
11th Sep 2007, 11:02
Ah but, VNE/GS, all of the operators that you have mentioned operate 300s in addition to R22s. As a CFI, would you be interested in an FI(R) who could only fly (or potentially fly) one particular type that you operate, or all types that you operate?

If you are limiting yourself to 300s, miket_68, then your only realistic employer might be in the US - HAI/Bristow. But even then, I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket. Because it's a bugger if that basket breaks!

Edited to add: I've just re-read my post and, in hindsight, AH Helicopters obviously don't operate Robinsons. But are they in need of an FI(R) right now?

manfromuncle
11th Sep 2007, 11:08
Bournemouth, Cabair, and a place in Norwich all operate Schweizers.

The Nr Fairy
11th Sep 2007, 11:22
B73:

Just seen your correction about AH. Bournemouth DEFINITELY don't - one H300, 2 1/2 R44s.

And yes, I'll drop you a PM - I owe you one.

VeeAny
11th Sep 2007, 11:28
B73

We are both saying the same thing I think from different viewpoints. I have actively encouraged a friend of mine who is 300 and 206 rated to train for his FI rating on an R22, for two reasons.

1. Most schools operate them, so work is easier to find.
2. As a baby instructor with a fresh type rating on an R22, I feel its safer to have completed the FI course on the R22 before you start to teach on it.

I just wanted to point out the 300 is far from dead and gone in the UK just yet. I agree that with the loss of BHH, which was probably the busiest 300 operator in the country things will quieten down for a while on that type.

Anyway sorry for creeping off the original thread, the other guys are right its time to head off to the gym for both myself and MikeT.

GS

HillerBee
11th Sep 2007, 11:45
Being that heavy is just not good for a flying career in the first place. When you want to do charter work or almost any kind of work you take payload away. I also know companies who will not hire anyone above 15st. (including ours)