PDA

View Full Version : IRIS

strake
10th Sep 2007, 18:29
Don't know if anyone else has signed up for this but I used it for the first time over the weekend....excellent system.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/iris/applying

slim_slag
10th Sep 2007, 18:37
Signed up for it a couple of years ago I think, and it works well. Frighteningly well in fact. So then decided I didn't want the guvmint to have my iris details on file after all and I stopped using it. There was a clause in the sign up form which said that if you didn't use it for 6 months (I think) they destroy your record. So hopefully they did, but wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

strake
10th Sep 2007, 21:35
Please don't advertise how quick it is or everyone will sign up for it!!

You have a point there. I noticed there were only two machines at T1....

Ahem,... very difficult procedure and possibly dangerous to the eyes. All information is held on secret government databases and "they" know where you are and what you are doing at all times....
Sorry, someone at the door....

wiggy
12th Sep 2007, 02:19
Ssshh!!!
Work's frightningly well at LGW (N) and now LGW(S)...especialy worth using at LGW (S) if the Alicante just arrived it just to see Mr/Mrs Chavs face as you breeze through..bit of a B**r if it's broke though!!

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
12th Sep 2007, 04:35
Got to be a good idea if it cuts out the queues, especially in the summer. No problem about having my info on some database as I haven't done anything wrong so I have nothing to hide !!

I planned on enrolling last time out but the room was closed. I'll try again this month.

On my way back in through LHR T3 I couldn't see the IRIS lane/machine in the passport area. Can someone please tell me where it is ??

NEO

tezzer
12th Sep 2007, 13:58
It's a great system, esp. when you get back from a business trip into Manchester, and there are plane loads of chav holidaymakers queueing for passport control, duty free bottles clanging.

Pleas keep it quiet, the less people who use it, the better !!

GwynM
13th Sep 2007, 08:44
at T3, as soon as you get into the passport area, hang a sharp left, but not too sharp or you'll be in the toilets. It's right at the oposite end to the UK passports queue.

I use it almost all the time now, a bit strange the first time, knowing which mirror to look into, and if you've had too many G+Ts it's difficult to get the dots lined up on your eyes, but otherwise OK.

And I thought the time limit was 2 years, not 6 months???

slim_slag
13th Sep 2007, 09:01
On investigation, looks like if you don't use it for two years then they cancel your ability to use it. Six months after that they destroy your data, so they claim.

Gulfstreamaviator
13th Sep 2007, 12:02
Tried T4 two days ago, and with vast Q for normal processing, battled to IRIS, broken, asked immigration does it ever work, they rolled their eyes...said it all..

Then managed to get to mid point of Q.

What happented to policy that if IRIS US you went to front of Q. ???

Last two times at LHR T1 nd 2 not working either.

Hope to register for IRIS in UAE, so lets see if they are any better.

glf

strake
13th Sep 2007, 12:14
Well, lucky for me it was working OK this morning in T3 and I didn't have to wait at all but that was is only the second time I have used it...

UniFoxOs
30th Sep 2007, 09:02
Flying out of BHX at sparrow-fart tomorrow, thought I'd see if we could register for this - all the £$%^%^& websites that have details of where you do it and what the opening hours are are down!!

Anybody know what time they open?

UFO

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
30th Sep 2007, 10:02
I left the designated smoking area outside LHR T3 early to register for the third time last week. A major sacrifice for a dirty addict joining a long haul flight..............

The machine was broken for the third time !! :ugh:

I'll keep trying. The nicotine patches help............

Cheers,

NEO

FormerFlyer
30th Sep 2007, 10:41
Oh that's a bit of a bugger if the machine's broken we have to join end of normal queue. When I signed up a couple of years ago it was def touted as a benefit that if the machine was U/S then you would be ushered to the first avail immigration desk.
Well, I'll find out how the LGWN one's working a week on Sat - bloomin better be!!
cheers ;)
FF

BHX_SLF
30th Sep 2007, 12:41
At Birmingham IRIS is only in T1 arrivals, ironic, as most business travellers (frequent travellers ?) flights tend to arrive at T2.

I have yet to see IRIS in action as when I do arrive at T1 it always appears out of order (but I tend to only arrive in T1 about once a month).

Have to say though, Passport Control usually pretty quick in T2, which is good as I normally only have hand baggage being on business travel.

I'm am sometimes on leisure travel when I arrive at T1, so the long queue for Passport Control gives me something to do instead of waiting for the luggage. :rolleyes:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th May 2008, 07:06
I finally got registered at T3. When I mentioned that the office had been closed every time I went past the Immigration man told me they only had one sign which says the machine is broken, but sometimes he just needed to use the toilet !! :ugh::mad:

Used it coming back last week, straight through and past the huge queues at T3, including the UK/EU line. Excellent !! :ok:

Upgrade Please
14th May 2008, 15:07
Have only had a few occasions when IRIS has been U/S at either LGW or LHR - but definitely not allowed to jump the regular queue if this happens (despite being told this on registration). For me the most difficult part of registration was finding the office when it was open - not usually when commuter flights leave before 0800!:ugh:
Had smooth experience @ T1 last week coming back from HEL - straight off from 1C, down the corridors, straight thru IRIS, but baggage still beat me to the belt! Must be a first......:D

Good Man In Africa
15th May 2008, 08:18
I've used it at T3 many times, never been broken. Great !!