PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox prob?

tony draper
6th Sep 2007, 22:44
Was Googling a couple of hours ago and I scored for one of those bloody free virus scan popup buggas that I could not shut down, so I shut down the puter and rebooted,now I can't get my Firefox start page to show,it shows as running in the tool bar at the bottom but does not appear on the desktop?
I can delets firefox them reload it of course but I do not want to lose all the links I have in my bookmark folder,the problem is I cannot find the bookmark folder anywhere,it does not appear in the Mozilla folder in the program files,anyone any idea where the firefox Bookmarks are stored?
I did a system restore back to a date last month but still have the same problem
At the moment I am using my old Blueyonder startpage,but I would prefer to have Firefox back with my Bookmarks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tony D:confused:
PS Running XP pro

tony draper
6th Sep 2007, 23:16
Thank you 1.4G but I cannot use the firefox tools because the firefox page does not appear.:confused:

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Sep 2007, 23:28
Control Panel > Folder Options > (tab) View > Show hidden files and folders

then.....

My Computer > Local Disk C: > Documents & Settings > (named) User > Application Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles > 2jd6qo32.default (or similar): copy all contents and paste into the same folder after re installation of Firefox.

PS: Have you not got pop-ups blocked in Firefox?

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Sep 2007, 23:42
PPS:

https://addons.mozilla.org/img/app-icons/firefox.png

When you've got that sorted, suggest this extension for easy access to your Profile Folder without all the previous rigmarole...

https://addons.mozilla.org/img/default_icon.png "Open Profile Folder (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545)"

bnt
7th Sep 2007, 07:45
Also, as for it not appearing: it might be "there" but with the window size screwed up. If you have it in the task bar (at the bottom), try right-click, "Maximize". If you can get it up, maximized* then you can try the taskbar again, try "Cascade" or either "Tile" option. to re-size the window to something more normal.

Oh, and try installing the NoScript plugin - stops that kind of stuff dead, by stopping any site running JavaScript, except the ones you "whitelist".

* oooerr

tony draper
7th Sep 2007, 11:14
I give up,tried everything,done a system restore,deleted firefox, downloaded the newer version, run that and have the same problem,deleted it again removed all the registry keys for mozilla, removed all folders rebooted reinstalled and still have the same prob,managed to save a folder titled bookmark backups but until I can get Firefox running I won't know if thats any good.
Most annoying lost all my links wi passwords ect and of course cant remember most of them now.
Using my original Blueyonder browser at the mo using explora,it seems painfully slow.
:(
Thanks for the help anyway chaps.

Saab Dastard
7th Sep 2007, 12:09
Tony,

For the future, when you have got things back to normal, create an "admin" account for admin tasks. Make your normal account just a "user" account - no admin privileges. You can always "run as" if you need admin rights for specific tasks.

That way, when you go to a *cough* dodgy *cough* website, whatever nasties try to get on board will be unable to do so.

Trust me, it works! :ok:

I hasten to add that I only know this because that is how I have set up the children's accounts. :p

SD

Tarq57
7th Sep 2007, 12:27
Give the computer a jolly good clean up, then a virus scan, then a spyware scan. There are heaps of good tools for this, many free. Superantispyware or Asquared a excellent scanners.
Sounds like possibly more problems than just a corrupted Firefox. although that may be all it is. I had a similar browser problem one night when a household circuit breaker went, but it (firefox) re-installed ok. Had to re-import my bookmarks.

Slasher
9th Sep 2007, 08:39
Drapes me dumb Firefux went stupid today too - didnt appear when I clicked it and asked for a bloodey profile. Gave it "default" and lost all me bookmarks.
Luckiley I back them up on my HD and backup HD and got em back.
Just create a new folder called 'Browser Bookmarks', and sub-folders like "IE6' "Mozilla" "Opera" etc. In Firefox go to Bookmarks --> Manage Bookmarks-->, then File --> Export, and export your 'bookmarks.html' to that folder. I update it regulerly and copy it to my backup HD once a week. Saves a lot of swearing/computer bashing/furniture-breaking.

rubik101
10th Sep 2007, 03:53
Danny, I am just about to fly, 0440! When I get back 1510, I will send you a link to a programme which recovers all your log-ins and passwords, along with all the autofill you have on your computer even after a system re-boot.
Hang in there!!
Ignore the above, I found it already!!
Try this...............
http://aumha.org/downloads/reveal.zip

rubik101
11th Sep 2007, 08:04
Tony, did it help?
It is quite an amazing little programme! You will be amazed what information you have unwittingly stored on your computer.

tony draper
11th Sep 2007, 09:21
Not really,bunged in me spare hard disk,copied the stuff across from me old hard disk I wanted to keep but all my bookmarks are lost I recon,will format the old one do a clean instal and keep it as a spare, still,one can't complain,been using firefox for about two years this is the first time I have had any bother with it.
Thanks for the help chaps.
:ok: