PDA

View Full Version : Israeli planes fired on by Syria in a surprising location

Razor61
6th Sep 2007, 21:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6982331.stm

So how did Israeli warplanes end up in the location that they conducted an incursion into Syria?
Going by the reports, they fenced in around the central northern Region.
So the jets would have had to have gone through a considerable amount of Turkish Airspace first to get there...
Surely Turkey would not have allowed this so how did they get there without being seen?

Al R
7th Sep 2007, 05:53
".. at a cafe in downtown Damascus, customers put their sandwiches back on their plates as the news broke on TV."

It must have really shook 'em up.

Or perhaps they've all got good table manners anyway?

beardy
7th Sep 2007, 06:19
I seem to recall having read in the Times that Israel has aircraft based in Turkey that are used for 'training.' It is these aircraft that the Times postulated could be used in any attack on Iran's nuclear facilities.

TEEEJ
7th Sep 2007, 15:39
Turkey and Israel are the best of buds. It is a strange relationship but Turkey has allowed Israeli aircraft to train and use its ranges over the years. The Turks have a border dispute with Syria. Turkey and Syria have never been the best of friends.

GreenKnight121
9th Sep 2007, 07:15
Turkey, while very much Muslim-dominated religion-wise, is a secular government that looks to Europe and the US for its friends, not the Arab block.

As for the Turkey-Israeli friendship, it's not that hard to figure out. Using the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" calculus, both nations are glad to have the other on the opposite side of Syria... any move by Syria to move forces to attack one exposes it to attack from the other in a weakened area.

This effectively muzzles Syrian potentials for attack, and stabilizes the whole region some.