PDA

View Full Version : Visa requirments in Panama for European students

StudentNE
6th Sep 2007, 17:16
Hi there,

I'm studying for my JAR PPL in the UK, and am going to be visiting Panama early next year. Just wondering if anyone knows if I'll be able to do a few hours flying lessons in Panama (probably at Albrook flight school), and what the visa requirements might be (if any).

Will prob have about 15 hours by then.

Albrook school website seems to be being redone at moment, so couldnt email them direct.

Thanks very much.

Panama Jack
6th Sep 2007, 17:35
You shouldn't need much more than a Tourist Card, unless you are expecting to do long term studies, in which case, you might want to deal with it once you are in Panama.

Some airlines have as part of their website, up to date entry requirements as maintained by IATA's Travel Information Manual (TIM)'s website-- TIMATIC.

Here is a great example of one website that will give you easy to use, self-explanatory, one-stop shopping for all the world's entry requirements: http://www.gulfairco.com/plan/visa.asp

In Panama, the Tourist Card gives you 30 days, but you can easily extend it for an additional 60 days at Migracion-- they will give you an ID card and I believe you'll need a to get a Paz y Salvo from Ministerio de Economia y Finanzas (showing that you have no debts to the state) and an exit visa then. All just formalities, and no real biggie.

When you get back to the UK you'll be able to brag to your friends about how you did a "Transcontinental flight across the American Continent from the Pacific to the Atlantic-- and back . . . in a Cessna 152 in 30 minutes, sightseeing included." ;)

StudentNE
6th Sep 2007, 22:21
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply!

So as far as you know, it's not like the USA where visitors need special visas to do any flying?

I will phone or email the school too, but yea, would be great if one of my cross country training flights could be along the panama canal!

Is the radiotelephony in Engish or spanish over there?

thanks very much.

Panama Jack
7th Sep 2007, 06:26
As far as I know, no, and especially if you will be in Panama only for a short-term stay as aforementioned. It would of course always be good to check with people at the Flight School, but since 2001, the US has gone over the top with their security concerns. When I moved to Panama years ago, the Panamanian Consulate abroad simply issued me a visitor visa for me to enter the country, then to adjust my immigration status later with Migracion once in-country.

English and Spanish are widely spoken on Latin American airwaves, including in Panama. In both Panama City Airports-- Marcos A. Gelabert and Tocumen, and in places like David and Panama Control, the level of English is excellent, really some of the best in Central America. However if you go down to the Darién near the Colombian border, some of the airport tower operators, at least 7 years ago, were extremely limited as they normally only get the regional airline flights from Panama City, but you should manage to get a "Clear to land" and "Clear to takeoff" out of them. Then again, you probably won't have much reason to fly down there-- it is remote and if you go-down in the Darién, well, you might not be found for a very long time (if ever).

Another treat is to fly over the Perlas Archipelago-- I believe that all the aerodromes there are public use. Contadora is a very beloved resort in Panama.

The website for the Autoridad Aeronáutica Civil (AAC) is http://www.aeronautica.gob.pa/, and you can download a VFR chart of Eastern Panama (don't understand why it is not available of Western Panama-- you can also try e-mailing AAC to ask them to send you one) in .pdf format at http://www.aeronautica.gob.pa/aip/aipcarta.pdf.

One of the greatest hazards of flying in Panama is that you might just fall in love with it. ;)