PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Respirator

boru247
6th Sep 2007, 10:43
I wonder if anyone can put our minds at rest.
Mrs Boru needs the use of a respirator to breathe at night - pretty essential for her! For a number of years we have flown with it and have had some interesting experiances at security checks, but we have always managed to get it thorugh even though I don't know how many times it has been swabbed for explosives or we have heard the words "what is that, I am not sure you can take that".
We have avoided flying with the machine after the recent security kerfuffles and "only one bag allowed" etc. She is now not confident that the machine would be allowed through as a second piece of hand baggage even though she carries a doctors letter stating that it is essential to keep her going, believing that the inconsistency of the rules being applied could let her carry it through on the outward journey, just to be refused on the return - this would cause a major problem as the machine cannot under any circumstances leave our care!
Could I ask anyone in the industry what their views and thoughts are about this? Are we wrong in assuming a new problem or would our fears be real?
We are also hoping to look at a special journey next year to the Caribbean - if possible. A long haul flight. Assuming that the machine itself proves not to be a problem then we are looking at her arriving with machine and a battery pack to keep it running for a few hours during the night flight back. The pack is in its own bag, and is a selaed Nickel Metal Hydride battery similar to, but larger than, those used in laptops before Lithium Ion batteries came in.
If we advise the arlines booking agent of this at the time of booking will that be OK or do we need to take any further steps. Airline websites devote losts of space to wheelchair help (which she is grateful for as well!), but little or no information on taking medical kit on board and being able to use it. When the battery runs down the machine alarms and she has expressed worry that this could cause a problem on board!
Sorry to be so verbose - any thoughts or advice would be greatfully received

BackPacker
6th Sep 2007, 11:16
I'd say contact the customer service department of the airlines you intend to fly with. Get confirmation that they are OK, and get that in writing. Bring that confirmation in writing, together with the doctors declaration, to the security guards and I can't see why they would want to cause any more trouble.

PAXboy
6th Sep 2007, 11:48
BackPacker has said it all. Contact the carrier directly and right away. If you can, send them a photograph of the (I presume) CPAP device. Perhaps include a link to the manufacturer's website etc.

Allow the maximum amount of time for check-in, so that they have time 'call my supervisor' and so on. These devices are standard medical equipment and someone in the airline will have heard about them - you just have to allow for those who have not seen one before! They might be concerned that it contains a gas (O2) whereas, if I understand correctly, they simply compress the air and get more through to the individual than would otherwise be the case.

Lastly, if the airport of departure is operated by BAA, perhaps write to them as well? They have a reputation for being pig headed and saying NO first and then not asking questions afterwards!

boru247
6th Sep 2007, 11:53
Many thanks for your advice. Sounds sensible.