PDA

View Full Version : What is the age that someone can get there PPL

NickBarnes
6th Sep 2007, 09:45
Just wondering what is the age someone can start flying and get there PPL?

thanks

soay
6th Sep 2007, 09:55
Just wondering what is the age someone can start flying and get there PPL?
I think the only restriction on starting flying is when you're old enough to know the difference between there and their. ;) You must be at least 16 to go solo though.

BackPacker
6th Sep 2007, 10:09
...and 17 for license issue or GFT, or both.

NickBarnes
6th Sep 2007, 10:15
thankyou for your help, my nephews 16 now so he will be pleased to know that he can start flying now, unlike me i think he knows the difference between there and their;)

PompeyPaul
6th Sep 2007, 12:13
This forum seriously needs a FAQ

BackPacker
6th Sep 2007, 12:43
You are very welcome to start a FAQ, and I'm sure the moderators will not mind making it into a sticky.

I noticed that the questions about a PPL in Florida almost completely disappeared after I wrote about that and had the moderators make that article into a sticky, so it really works.

Saab Dastard
6th Sep 2007, 14:45
The Search facility is available also.

SD

BRL
6th Sep 2007, 14:47
This forum seriously needs a FAQ

Thanks for volunteering Paul!!

All yours......... :ok:

GWidgery
6th Sep 2007, 23:15
You can fly from any age with an instructor, but only once your turn 14 can the hours begin to count towards the 45 for the PPL. You can take all theory exams any time from 14, but you must gain your PPL within 18 months of passing your exams, or you'll need to resit.
You can then solo at 16, and then take your skills test any time from then, and you CAN take it before you're 17 (I did). All the paperwork can then be sent off to the CAA, who will then let you go and pick up your licence on your 17th birthday if you wish. If not, they'll send it to you, and you'll get it a few days later. It's dispatched on your birthday in that case.
GWidgery

IO540
7th Sep 2007, 08:46
In practice, under both CAA and FAA AFAIK, you can fly for all practical purposes anywhere solo at 16 but cannot carry passengers until you get the final test for which you have to be 17.

TheKentishFledgling
7th Sep 2007, 09:26
In practice, under both CAA and FAA AFAIK, you can fly for all practical purposes anywhere solo at 16 but cannot carry passengers until you get the final test for which you have to be 17.

Almost right. I'm not sure about FAA-land, but here, you cannot fly abroad (not even solo) post GFT (pass) until the licence has arrived and been signed.

tKF

NickBarnes
7th Sep 2007, 14:11
I presume that all flight training schools you can fly 14 and up with a insturctor

TheKentishFledgling
8th Sep 2007, 00:19
Why presume that?

Why should they not let you fly younger, with an instructor?

tKF

IO540
8th Sep 2007, 05:33
You can fly with an instructor at any age, and you can log the lessons at any age, but any logged time before 14 will not count towards the award of any license/rating. This is correct, AFAIK, for both FAA and JAA licenses.

Mad Girl
8th Sep 2007, 06:48
You can fly from any age with an instructor, but only once your turn 14 can the hours begin to count towards the 45 for the PPL. You can take all theory exams any time from 14, but you must gain your PPL within 18 months of passing your exams, or you'll need to resit.

Theory exams have to be finished within 18 months of passing the first one AND THEN your 24 month "flying clock" starts on completion of the last exam.

Therefore you COULD take up to 3 1/2 years to get your licence without resitting anything..... if necessary.

Says she......... who passed the final exam with 7 weeks to spare within the 18 month deadline......

NickBarnes
8th Sep 2007, 09:56
[QUOTE][Why presume that?

Why should they not let you fly younger, with an instructor?
/QUOTE]

sorry i should of said what age can you fly with an instructor, im sure loads of people have flown 14 and under and made a better job than the adults:)

cwatters
8th Sep 2007, 13:27
I think many UK gliding clubs impose a limit for flying with an instructor. The club I belonged to some years wasn't officially allowed to fly passengers - all such flights had to be called trial lessons and they were. I think the limit was >11 for a flight in a club plane.

Edit: Being able to understand the bale out briefing and operate the harness release and parachute may have had something to do with it. Not that that its likely to be needed.