PDA

View Full Version : Transferring recorded video on DVR recorder to DVD

BOAC
5th Sep 2007, 22:14
JVC DVD (DRM-30) recorder with hard drive. I have a couple of recorded TV progs I would like to edit/put onto DVD. It seems that if I 'dub' them from the HD onto DVD-RW I have to finalise the disk to read them on the PC for editing, which knocks out the 'RW' option for the next set. The other problem is that the files are dubbed in a format which 'DVD Shrink' does not recognise. At the moment it seems I have to transpose them into mpeg and then edit them.

Does anyone with a JVC have an easy fix? Do I have to just use a finalised dvd-r disk each time? Is there any software which will read the files as they are? (I cannot recall the file suffix, it may be 'VBO', but it is not 'VOB')

Bushfiva
6th Sep 2007, 05:41
Take this suggestion with a spadeful of salt, since I don't have a DVD-VR recorder. I assume you want the video on a computer so you can edit it, right?

The file suffix is probably ".VRO". It's standard MPEG-2 data inside, so simply copy it to your PC, and rename it to ".MPG" You should be able to mess with it then.

Some recorders don't play nicely when writing files in real time, so if the file generally works on your computer but there are glitches, try running it through something like VideoReDo.

And if I'm talking nonsense, ignore me.

BOAC
6th Sep 2007, 07:26
Thanks BF- I think you were right. I have, however, 'bitten the bullet' and dubbed onto an ordinary DVD-R and lo and behold I have a 'normal' DVD file set, so it must be summat to do with the DVD-RW format.

Onwards and upwards!

Bushfiva
6th Sep 2007, 10:04
it must be summat to do with the DVD-RW format

Yes, VRO files are found on DVD-RAM and DVD-RW discs if you choose to record in (or your hardware only allows) VR mode. It's basically a multiplexed MPEG2 file that, in the original specs, was never intended to be stuck in a PC DVD drive. But by renaming the file, most PC DVD tools can handle the format. When you burn to a DVD-R, you're basically "exporting" the data to standard DVD format so you end up with the title set and VOB files, etc. But that's more than a sane person needs, or wants, to know.

BOAC
6th Sep 2007, 12:23
......who said I was sane...............:). Great help, Bf, superb to have all the knowledge here.

Saab Dastard
6th Sep 2007, 14:22
Now if only we could do searches on 3-letter abbreviations, like DVD...

:sad:

Maybe when the super-duper shiny whizz-bang infrastructure arrives!

SD

Cornish Jack
6th Sep 2007, 17:43
BOAC
I note that you have a JVC machine - moi aussi!! there is something a bit odd about their compatibility programming. I have tried recording from the HD to DVD and it refused to record onto anything other than TDK - it even refused to accept JVC's own disks!!!:ugh:
One other area of concern - did a room re-arrangement and switched the machine off. Switching it on again produced a loud bang and an electrical burning smell and an eventual bill for £130 to replace the power input board. The local JVC repair shop didn't find this failure particularly unusual:(

BOAC
6th Sep 2007, 18:32
Oh - oh! Didn't want to hear that! Mine had a software fault not long after purchase and had to go back to be 'fixed'.

My DRM-30 records quite happily on to various disks, currently Samsung Pleomax 8x, although as you probably know, branded disks are not always what they seem! http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm

There are programs which will tell you if you have bought a stack of 'coasters', such as DVD Identifier.:{