PDA

View Full Version : CPL(H) preperation and finance

miket_68
5th Sep 2007, 14:09
Having passed my PPL(H) and Type rating on the R44 it has become obvious to me now that my current job sucks and if I could fly for a living I would be the happiest man around, if not the poorest.
Having read many posts on here regarding the actual route PPL, Hour building, ATPL(H) theory, CPL, IR....
I have a few questions about the financing options available to the average Jo or Jolleen wanting to become a Professional Helicopter Pilot.
1st there is no suitcase full of cash under my bed so prepayment upfront for all parts is out.
2nd I will need to remain in full time employment in aformentioned crappy job to subsidise the flying and living.
I have heard tell of the CDL, how do I apply for one, and what will it pay for.
Can the TAX be claimed back, if so how , and when do I register myself.
Dont fancy paying for all my hour building only to find that if I have registered beforehand I could claim the VAT back on it, but not after the fact.
Any helpful tips tricks sites info greately appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike :ok:

Helipilot1982
5th Sep 2007, 14:44
Cant help with the tax questions but have you applied for the bond sponsorship programme that is advertised (if you fancy the North sea that is). If you intend to pay for it all yourself - you will be looking at the modular route if you want to work alongside your training.

The CDL pays up to £8000 and is available from a few banks ie Barclays and the Royal bank of Scotland i think. Just pop into a branch and pick up a leaflet.

If you are paying for it all yourself - some of the cheapest forms of hour building are in the states and you can do your JAA CPL at the Bristow Academy (formerly HAI in Florida). You will however need to take time of work for this!!

Hope this helps:ok:

Pandalet
5th Sep 2007, 16:03
HSBC used to do a 'professional career development loan', which would do up to £25k on similar terms to the basic CDL. You did need to persuade your local branch manager the 'pilot' was a professional qualification, though.

You can claim tax back on hour-building, however doing this depends on you convincing the revenoo that you intend to use your flying skills to charge other people VAT in the future; if you're planning to work for someone else once qualified (eg. North Sea), then claiming back the VAT becomes somewhat more tricky.