PDA

View Full Version : Recycling!

Slopey
5th Sep 2007, 13:37
Crikey - just tried to get rid of 4 very old computers and the disposal companies are looking at £12 each to take them away!

Even worse - it's £6 a keyboard - I can buy a *NEW* keyboard for that!

The world's gone mad!

P.Pilcher
5th Sep 2007, 14:18
The solution is simple and even madder!
Ensure that there are absolutely no features on the equipment that could trace its ownership to you, find a nice unspoilt country lane and dump the offending items on the verge after making sure that nobody is looking and that there are no spy cameras around. The local authority will be obliged to come and collect them and dispose of them. After a while common sense may well return and such stupid charges will be removed!

P.P.

Sam-MAN
5th Sep 2007, 14:48
The solution is simple and even madder!
Ensure that there are absolutely no features on the equipment that could trace its ownership to you, find a nice unspoilt country lane and dump the offending items on the verge after making sure that nobody is looking and that there are no spy cameras around. The local authority will be obliged to come and collect them and dispose of them. After a while common sense may well return and such stupid charges will be removed!

P.P.

Leave a little note with it too :}

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2007, 16:28
Smash the hard disks with a hammer, then bring them to your local council dump. It doesn't cost anything, at least in the borough of Richmond.

SD

gingernut
5th Sep 2007, 16:50
Wipe the hard drive, put'em in a skip in Gorton, they'll soon get recycled.

Tone
5th Sep 2007, 16:53
Why not just take them to the local dump and if asked (but not likely) declare them to be household items? No cost involved 'cept a bit of fuel.

under_exposed
6th Sep 2007, 07:54
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Aberdeen_Freecycle/ may help

Slopey
6th Sep 2007, 11:22
Unfortunately, they are steam driven and have a flap on the back for coal...

I'd not want to inflict them on anyone (I think the fastest is a P3 800Mhz), and they've been seriously (almost totally) canabilised.

Luckily, I've got a few to get disposed of at the work - so I'll add them to that pile and they'll absorb them ;)

seacue
6th Sep 2007, 11:43
Just nip on over here and put them in our county recycling center, it's only a few thousand miles. Seriously, the Center has four-foot-square, three-foot-deep hampers on pallets and more than one a day are filled by folks driving up and unload old computer gear. The "No Scavenging" sign is most unfortunate and an employee is now sitting there to make sure.

Saab Dastard
6th Sep 2007, 14:26
I'd not want to inflict them on anyone (I think the fastest is a P3 800Mhz)

I'm using a Compaq 600 MHz P3 right now - runs XP and does everything I want, except play games. But as it's not me that wants to play games that's fine!

I do have another PC that's a lot more up to date, but older PCs can still be damn good!

SD

green granite
6th Sep 2007, 18:10
Isn't/wasn't there a charity which wanted cast off pcs to refurbish and send to third world schools? Or has it fallen foul of the EU waste disposal rules.:ugh:

(our local plant nursery used to sell cockle shells for £3 for a very large bag, they used to go up to the coast with a lorry, load the shells for free and then bag them up at home. Now they are classed as waste and they have to apply for a license to do it, result? It's cheaper to buy gravel. :ugh:)