PDA

View Full Version : Car races fighter jet

gareth herts
5th Sep 2007, 08:27
Morning all

I understand the Top Gear team is at Cby today to race a Bugatti against a Typhoon.

Other than thinking that this kind of exercise has been done to death I just wondered if anyone had any recollection of when this might have first been tried? Spitfire v Spitfire or something along those lines perhaps!

Thanks

Gareth

The Helpful Stacker
5th Sep 2007, 08:32
Schumacher has raced against a Typhoon. He lost, even with a rolling start in an F1 car.

Youtube Footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUruFwWEz4k)

Archimedes
5th Sep 2007, 08:42
The Veyron might be a formidable opponent, since some (inc Mr Clarkson) reckon that its straight line acceleration is even more potent than Herr Schumi's Ferrari...

Anyway, so long as Clarkson isn't sick in the back of a two-seater, no harm done.

spekesoftly
5th Sep 2007, 09:44
any recollection of when this might have first been tried? Spitfire v Spitfire or something along those linesOne of the first I can vaguely recall was Nimrod v (Aston)Nimrod. Don't know if it was the first, but it was quite a while ago.

ZH875
5th Sep 2007, 09:51
Over half the distance of the Waddington ORP, the humble squadron short wheelbase landrover outpaced an F104 from a standing start.....

...The rest of the ORP was spent praying the brakes would work, whilst watching the F104 disappear in a haze of black smoke.

But it was fun :)

MostlyHarmless
5th Sep 2007, 09:53
He lost, even with a rolling start in an F1 car.

Surprises me, that. But it was *very* wet...

Al R
5th Sep 2007, 10:36
Archimedes,

If Jeremy does feel queezy in a 2 seater, he can always try this;

http://www.dimoramotorcar.com/index2.html

Dimora is building a $2million saloon going by the name of Natalia. It doesn't really sound as if its being pitched at Russian oil billionares at all, does it? Another gauche faux art deco 'interpretation', or a subliminal beauty? Either way, Clarksonesque hyperbole most surely beckons.. 'more torque than Continental Drift' etc.

http://www.dimoramotorcar.com/press_releases/DMCAnnouncesNataliaPix/natalia_sls_2___by_dimora_motorcar_cropped_500.jpg

GeeRam
5th Sep 2007, 11:10
It all depends on how technical they get with acceleration graphs to determine at what distance the race is over.....

Car and a/c are going to have two different shape acceleration graphs and at some point when placed over each other the lines will cross, and would give the optimim distance over which to race and thereby putting the most emphasis on driver/pilot....any distance before or after will hand an advantage to either car or a/c.

moggiee
5th Sep 2007, 11:18
I'm sure that Jaguar vs Jaguar was done at Coltishall some time back.

There was certainly a Harrier vs Lotus turbo F1 contest - I think the F1 was quicker to 100mph but from that point on the GR3 had him!

Razor61
5th Sep 2007, 13:46
The Veyron is quicker, more powerful and faster top end than any F1 car. 252mph top end as shown on Top Gear by Captain slow James May but then it's not top end we are after here.
I say it will give the Typhoon a good run anyway, better than the F1...

Runaway Gun
5th Sep 2007, 15:03
I'd love to see the application form to the insurance company...
"I'm going to race this £50,000 car in close proximity to a Typhoon jet."

Or would the bill be even more if it were worded...
"I'm going to race the £50 million Typhoon jet next to a Bugatti"

Either way, the excess has gotta hurt :)

incubus
5th Sep 2007, 15:18
Race them the other way: 150mph to 0

Showtime100
5th Sep 2007, 15:28
"I'm going to race this £50,000 car in close proximity to a Typhoon jet."
Runaway Gun,

If you know where to pick up a Bugatti Veyron for £50,000 then please let me know!

I'm no petrol-head but I seem to (dimly) recall that they cost about 900k to buy and that Bugatti were losing a couple of million on each car. They were nothing more than a technology flagship vehicle to help relaunch the brand.

I'm sure the petrol heads will put me right if my figures are off target.

GeeRam
5th Sep 2007, 15:31
The Veyron is quicker, more powerful and faster top end than any F1 car.

A faster top end than any F1 car with race gearing......yes.

Quicker...........hah........no chance.

A 500kg 750hp F1 car can do the 0-300km/h sprint in about 8.5secs, that's nearly half of a Veyron's time of about 17 secs.

So if Schumacher couldn't beat the Typhoon (alright it was wet) then a Veyron will have no chance.......unless the race distance is a lot shorter to favour the car.

Al R
5th Sep 2007, 15:54
Interestingly, the Veyron only has half the power to weight ratio of the Mclaren F1 despite being developed 11 years later. Bugatti boots come in at just under 5k a pop each, I wonder how that compares to say, Typhoon?

Jimmy Macintosh
5th Sep 2007, 17:59
As far as I could find in google Schumacher won. Was there a different race in the youtube footage? (Firewall at work stops me viewing youtube, but I found the clip on a french website)

nowacivvy
5th Sep 2007, 18:05
From a standing start (for both) Hamster's Veyron had to go a mile down the runway, turn around and get back across the start/finish line. The Typhoon had to take off, climb a mile straight up, come back down, and cross the start/finish line (still in the air obviously - would be a bit of a tall order to get it to stop as well!).

First one back was the winner!

Gingerbread Man
5th Sep 2007, 18:10
It was rather good to watch. The Spitfire display was nice too. Couldn't tell if it was going a mile up or not due to the cloud - I just assumed he was trying to turn round in the shortest possible distance without leaving the runway line.

soddim
5th Sep 2007, 18:28
Question for those who know such things - Was the Typhoon serviceable at the appointed hour or did the Veyron turn up too early?

Razor61
5th Sep 2007, 18:58
The Veyron being the most expensive, fastest, quickest and powerful production ever built it has 12 radiators to keep the engine cool.

It was costing god knows how many millions to make and they got it down to £1m to buy, then more people expressed interest and ordered them and the price tag is now around £800,000 per car with extras costing more.

This thing out accelerates motorbikes such as the R1 and Fireblade and others. It knocks socks off the Ferraris, Lambos, Jaguar XJ220 and everything else so far that has come up against it.

Take a look at some of the Youtube videos.....

I Noticed while looking an FA-18 losing to a F1 car by quite a margin.

Al R
5th Sep 2007, 19:11
No Civobs. But it does come with its own funny looking chap sporting daytime TV hair.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/megyian/DSC04140_resize.jpg

Oliver Clothesoff
5th Sep 2007, 19:27
no pictures of the stig then? surely someone in the guardroom will now know his true identity? :=

BluntM8
5th Sep 2007, 19:39
No Civobs. But it does come with its own funny looking chap sporting daytime TV hair.

Hmm. Reminds me of somebody else, that hair...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/BluntM8/baldrick.jpg

El_Presidente
5th Sep 2007, 19:51
Moggiee:

I'm sure that Jaguar vs Jaguar was done at Coltishall some time back.

There was certainly a Harrier vs Lotus turbo F1 contest - I think the F1 was quicker to 100mph but from that point on the GR3 had him!

Last edited by moggiee : Today at 14:19.

I was there, 1998 or 1999...Vickie Butler Hendersn, Tiff Nedel...

VBH is a game gal... :ok:

Max Shutterspeed
5th Sep 2007, 20:57
The best car vs A/C race I ever saw in person was at Donnington a few years ago at the meeting when Mansell did a Touring Car race.

A RN Lynx raced a TVR Tuscan around the track. Started in the hover right above the startline, lots of downwash intimidation for the TVR.

Have to say, the bloke flying it was mustard. Didn't cut the corners, I was standing at Redgate, for those who've been there, and he was out of sight down the Craner Curves. Stood it on it's nose at the end of the main straight to get around the chicane and from memory he beat the TVR.

Cracking stuff, but I bet he fractured a few rules over a crowd that size. Good man.

Max

Tiger_mate
5th Sep 2007, 21:13
Not my photo, but a picture tells a thousand.....http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/jones243/con6-1.jpg

Al R
5th Sep 2007, 21:18
.. surely someone in the guardroom will now know his true identity?

Perry McCarthy, Neil Cunningham and Damon Hill have all had a crack at it. Currently, its (invariably) a guy called Ben Collins who also gets a name check in a certain H&S investigation.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/releases/richardhammond.pdf

Razor61
5th Sep 2007, 22:20
I see the Veyron has the rear spoiler up in the picture so Hammond is on the brakes. It flips up everytime you put your foot on the brake pedal.

jwcook
5th Sep 2007, 23:32
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/megyian/DSC04140_resize.jpg

I like the Typhoon in the car parking spaces at the back!!, or is it another private race?

Nuttyness
6th Sep 2007, 00:09
Thats not strictly true Razor61, we saw the Bugatti driving around Coningsby this evening and the spoiler wasn't up even when it had to slow down and stop at junctions.

It was a great race to watch, and there's not too many people that can say they've seen 2 Bugatti Veyrons drive through their local village

Razor61
6th Sep 2007, 00:40
It only extends when at high speed and you put your foot on the pedal, not when you are meddling around the village at slow speeds. It doesn't need the traction or downforce then, as it's going too slow

ninja-lewis
6th Sep 2007, 03:58
Actually, I believe the spoiler only rises when you insert a special key between the door and driver's seat with the engine off. It's some special mode that also lowers the car and stiffens the suspension to allow it to reach top speed. If you turn the wheel more than 15 degrees either way or stomp on the brakes, though, the spoiler is retracted and the car returns to normal.

27mm
6th Sep 2007, 05:27
OK, but who actually won?

Millski
6th Sep 2007, 05:50
Try a Moto gp (Stoners ducati) even at this years 800cc capacity.
I think you will be very surprised they out accelerates F1s.

aviate1138
6th Sep 2007, 05:50
"OK, but who actually won?" said 27mm
Judging by the Veyron's position I would say Hammond did. I presume the race ended after the Typhoon became airborne? This is assuming the pic was shot during the actual 'race'
Good fun anyway but Top Gear is not the show to watch if accuracy is the main remit! :)

effortless
6th Sep 2007, 06:10
I seem to remember some E-type racing the glider tow at Tangers. About '67-8 I think. Bit of a short race.

Al R
6th Sep 2007, 06:47
Dear Nuttyness,

The people of Molsheim could say they've seen dozens through theirs! :E

Its a beautiful thing, and to my mind, although its no Macca F1, I'm glad that they've actually gone and built the damned thing. God help us all when we're shuffling around in shoeboxes running on dolphim sperm mixed with dew drops collected by hemp wearing Peruvian virgins in copper bowls from the slopes of the Andes. They ramped up productioin at Molsheim a few months back, and now we know why. The German Environment Minister (Sigmar Gabriel) has said this week, that ALL new cars built from 2012 will have to comply with Euro emissions regulations. In effect, all new cars will have to emit fewer than 120 grams of CO2 per kilometre, which will make life interesting for German performance and luxury car manufacturers. To give you an idea of the task, a Vauxhall Tigra 1.3 CDTI emits the required 120g/km. the Audi A6 2.7 on the other hand, emits 192g/km and a Porsche Cayenne 320 g/km. Cayennes arte obscene, but the Audi is a good, nice car :{. But given that car emissions produce a small of the CO2 that we chuck into the air around us, I wonder why Broone is reticent to adopt measures which'll hit the real polluter.. the homeowner? Could it be its easier to clobber middle earning Tories doing high miles thsan it is working class Labour voters who take the fume spewing bus to work?

As well as the proposals completely missing the mark, it strikes me as a bit of an own goal for the Germans. In fact, we can fold our newspapers over our portly tums, sip from our mugs of char and content ourselves with the thought that we had the foresight to decimate our car industry ourselves, before anyone else did. Then, we can all be fooled into driving cars like the Toyota Pious, transported by ULCC across the globe running over little dolphins as it comes, powered by a battery pack that no one has got a clear idea yet about how to dispose of it and full of chemicals that would make Himmler blush. By contrast, the Veyron may have cost VAG $5 million per car to develop, but so much of that will be mitigated by development and engineering advances in their other cars, that in 15 years, it'll look a snip. By contrast, Jaguar is announcing that from next year, they'll no longer be putting the name 'Jaguar' on new models. Whatever Sigmar might say, the Germans have got a damned site more to be proud of than us right now.

And a quick and final 'Well done!' once again to the DTi for allowing the Chinese to buy Rover. For forging through this difficult task, Patricia Hewitt most surely have been awarded a Green Endorsement. After showing how well she could f#ck up the remains of our car manufacturing capability and consigning a generation to call centres, it was only right that the g'ment decided to let her have a pop at the NHS and see what she could do there.

.. 9, 19 and breathe.

harrogate
6th Sep 2007, 07:48
If it's braking, then they might want to get the brake lights looked at.

Is there a dealer in Lincoln or Grimsby?

GeeRam
6th Sep 2007, 09:09
Try a Moto gp (Stoners ducati) even at this years 800cc capacity.
I think you will be very surprised they out accelerates F1s.
Not quite MotoGP, but this was a great a/c vs. bike 'race'.......the Italians even gave the 'Hooter' a special paint job just for the event.......:ok:
http://www.ducati.com/racing/home_news_popup_racing.jhtml?newsId=20956&backNews=archive

Nuttyness
6th Sep 2007, 10:21
<"OK, but who actually won?" said 27mm
Judging by the Veyron's position I would say Hammond did. I presume the race ended after the Typhoon became airborne? This is assuming the pic was shot during the actual 'race'
Good fun anyway but Top Gear is not the show to watch if accuracy is the main remit! :)>

The Typhoon became airborne at the start of the race, I think both the car and jet travelld for a mile then the jet flew vertically for 1 mile and turned around whilst the car turned around, they both then raced to the finish line.

There were 3 races yesterday and I can tell you

*******************SPOILER*********************

The Typhoon kicked arse in all 3 races. Hammond said a few choice words after each race and he wasn't happy.

Focks 2
6th Sep 2007, 11:11
Not quite MotoGP, but this was a great a/c vs. bike 'race'.......the Italians even gave the 'Hooter' a special paint job just for the event.......:ok:
http://www.ducati.com/racing/home_news_popup_racing.jhtml?newsId=20956&backNews=archive
OT a bit, but theres some nice shots of '999' on all three pages of the following UKAR thread:

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=35473;st=0

gareth herts
6th Sep 2007, 11:41
Thanks for the links, banter and info folks - great stuff.

Gareth

Wensleydale
6th Sep 2007, 14:34
Trouble is that the Bugatti is holding Southern Q while they turn round the Typhoon.....:}

stickus_maximus
6th Sep 2007, 18:10
I hear on the grapevine that somebody managed to livestream the races on the internet.. Auntie Beeb and stn hierarchy are reportedly furious :eek: