PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer to solo..

digital.poet
4th Sep 2007, 18:42
I am off work this month to fly 2 hours a day tuesday-friday. Just come back from my first two hours. Lots and lots of circuits :).

I seem to have a tendancy to gain altitude on the downwind leg. Circuit height at my airfield is 1000 feet, but I see to be drifting up to 1200 most times, I have been finding that this tends to screw me up a little base and I have to get down quick. Had one go-around today because I was way too high on final.

My instructor says that if I can get rid of this little quirk, and keep a nice acurate 1000 I should be soloing by the end of the week :)

Can't believe the work load in the circuit though. Especially as I am usually hitting 1000 as I turn on to downwind, which means I am leveling off during the turn, trying to keep 1000 (failing mostly), calling downwind, doing downwind checks... few seconds breathing space, then into the crazy rush of base and final. Please... all you seasoned aviators... tell me it gets easier!

alvin-sfc
4th Sep 2007, 19:51
Are you trimming the a/c properly? Your instructor should be able to tell you what the "problem" is. Keep at it, it gets better as you get better.:ok:

michaelthewannabe
4th Sep 2007, 21:25
Please... all you seasoned aviators... tell me it gets easier!

Well, forgive me for stating the obvious, but... of course it gets easier! Every circuit you do, a few more little things get wedged into "muscle memory" and don't require conscious effort next time. After another few hours, you might even have enough spare brain power at the end of the circuit to land...

(well, that's how it was for me!)

Don't worry about it. Sounds to me like you're slightly misjudging the trim at the start of downwind - or if the aircraft is gaining height at the same time as maintaining cruise speed, you've got slightly too much power. Make a mental note of this, and next time you get to downwind, you'll remember to correct this, and the height will be bang-on all the way to base.

Of course, if you're anything like me, the concentration of getting altitude control right will cause you to screw up something different, something perfectly simple that's never been a problem in the past, like forgetting to turn on carb heat or forgetting to call downwind. And you get frustrated, and the next time you get that right, but you screw up the height control again... and the next time you get them *both* right, but nearly drop the aeroplane onto the runway from 10 feet... and so it goes on. And they seem to think I'm a good student!

And then suddenly, you'll have done a circuit, and nothing went wrong. The next two will be disasters, of course, up to 1250ft on downwind, but then you'll do another good one. And then a couple more good ones.

And then, just after you call "downwind touch and go" on your second circuit of a session, everything going beautifully, the instructor will chip in on the radio with "correction, downwind to land"...

:}

davidatter708
4th Sep 2007, 21:26
If you are trimming right and still climbing trim more nose down. Also If you want to lose a lot of height last stage of flap if your in a 152 gets you down nicely or less revs on base and an s shape final all work. Talk to your instructor sideslipping might be an option it works but isnt on the syllabus
Dave

digital.poet
4th Sep 2007, 22:02
Thanks everyone.

I think you have all hit the nail on the head with the trimming. It seems to get shuffled down my 'mental priority list' as something you do when you have got everything else sorted out. As I am taking my sweet time to get everything else sorted out, I am not sure I am giving proper attention to the trimming. This will be my mission for tomorrows lessons.

Michael, reading your bit about how when you get something right, you get something else wrong brought a big smile to my face. Great to hear someone else is going through the same thing. There were a few circuits today where everything seemed to be going swimmingly (even managed to hold 1000 feet through the downwind leg), then I would turn final too late and find I had overshot on base. It almost feels like my brain is going, "Hey, this is all going a little too well, QUICK we need to find something to :mad: up!" Ha ha.

Also, the crosswind today didn't help matters. A good learning experience though. The first landing trying out 'crabbing' was interesting.... when my instructor said, "A little left rudder", he really did mean 'a little'. Was landing on runway 29 until at the last minute I stamp down on the left rudder and nearly made an (extremely) short field landing on an imaginary runway 20 :D. Clearly, my instructor had been through this before because I felt a definate force on the right rudder, and it wasn't *my* foot :)

Was my first time in the air today for over a month, so the first few circuits felt a little 'white knuckle' again. Incredible how quickly that feeling disappears though. After two circuits, when a sudden gust yawed us to one side, I stopped swearing :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will post a solo report when the day comes.

Deano777
4th Sep 2007, 22:49
Digital

As well as the trimming try relaxing on the control column, alot of my students have trouble when they are tense and they hold onto the control column for dear life, just relax it in your hand, you'll "feel" the trim better as well.

Also don't be hard on yourself, the circuit is a busy place and if you have a strongish wind things happen very quickly, especially the downwind section.
So give yourself a break, don't be hard on yourself, the circuit is a stressy environment to be in, relax :)

Astral_Flyer
5th Sep 2007, 00:21
All good advice from others digital.poet.

I can remember my time doing circuits and having it all get screwed up. As deano says. Hang loose on the yoke and trim the aircraft. Feel what is going on and take action. The trimmer is your friend :) That way keeping the correct height will cease to be an issue.

It took me ages to get it all together. But once it did it became second nature and I could then spend more time looking out for other aircraft (essential) in the circuit and enjoying myself. At first things seem to be piling up and you find yourself getting stressed and rushing things. In reality you have plenty of time to go through the checks.

Astral

sternone
5th Sep 2007, 07:22
What bird are you flying ?

The problem is probably that you should know the exact numbers for your type/engine.. that means correct RPM!!!!!!! Don't try to constanlty chase the numbers, just know what settings you need to set and that's it..

michaelthewannabe
5th Sep 2007, 07:22
the circuit is a stressy environment to be in, relax :)

hahahaha!

OK, I totally agree with the sentiment, but thinking back six weeks to when I was in digital.poet's position, it would have seemed absurd at the time! The relaxation only came when I'd got enough of the actions into motor memory that my brain had a chance to drop out of panic mode for the first time - shortly after which, the instructor got out, of course.

The time I *needed* to remember to relax was on about third solo, when my brain utilisation on the flying had dropped so low that I started to notice I was still excessively stressed. I guess a high stress level had become a conditioned reaction to solo circuits. Felt a bit spaced and had to control my breathing, but got it all under control.

In reality you have plenty of time to go through the checks.

Only once they're sufficiently familiar that you don't have to spend 5-10 seconds on each one, trying to remember it and perform it. Took about two sessions (12 circuits) before I got there.

The trimmer is your friend

Absolutely. I found it needs a surprisingly fine touch on the trimmer to get it accurate, though. There is a "dead zone" on the trimmer of about half a turn, in which I can't feel much change in yoke pressure (PA28-140): but that half-turn makes the difference between being two hundred feet low at base, and two hundred feet high.

So I have to trim off the pressure, let the aircraft settle for a few seconds, then see what it wants to do: then apply a further correction. Also sometimes have to adjust power again as the engine speed and air speed change, as the aircraft settles into level trimmed flight.

digital.poet
5th Sep 2007, 18:30
Thanks for all the input guys. Had another 2 hours today and it was much much better. I was trimming more frequently which helped a great deal.

Also, was a little less reluctant to adjust power when downwind. Yesterday I would set it as I levelled off and leave it there no matter what. Today I decided to make small power adjustments if required and it really really helped. The final piece of the puzzle for me was to take a few looks down at the VSI. I wasn't doing this yesterday and was 'finding myself' at 1200, today I noticed that a brief look at the VSI will demonstrate how I managed to get there and that being at 1000 feet alone is not enough. Got to nail that level flight as well.

All together an immense improvement on yesterday (which my instructor was quick to point out!). Solo is coming, solo is coming :).

Norfolk Newbie
5th Sep 2007, 19:21
Digital,

Good luck with it all. It sounds as though you're just going through what everyone goes through.

The good news is it does get easier. However once your instructor realises you're getting on top of something he'll give you something else that challenges your capacity!

I did my first land away last week (dual) and I made a complete pigs ear of it - I was overloaded with the RT, nav and a new airfield and let it get on top of me. However I'm I remember only a couple of months ago circuit work was having the same effect and I never thought I'd be able to actually fly the aeroplane AND navigate AND use the radio!

Good luck and most importantly enjoy it!

digital.poet
6th Sep 2007, 16:45
Well folks, a quick update if you are interested....

Had a great 2 hours flying today. My circuits are getting much much better. Holding 1000 nicely, landings are getting smooth (flared too early on a couple of them though, lost speed too high and dumped it down on the runway).

My instructor said to me today... "Well, once a student reaches your level I generally send them solo? Are you ready?". However, I politely declined for the moment. I just have this niggling tendancy to tense up at the controls if there is a few bumps on the climb out. I would like to feel a little more relaxed with the aircraft before going on my own. My instructor actually seemed quite impressed that I was being a little cautious, but I fully expect to be a P1 experienced pilot by this time next week.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all your input so far.

michaelthewannabe
6th Sep 2007, 21:42
Brilliant news, digital.poet. Great to hear that you've cracked the trimming problem, which you seemed to feel was a major stumbling block. And it is getting easier! See?

Definitely sounds like you're ready for solo now. Go for it!