PDA

View Full Version : Jetair-Foreign pilots facing new problems? Tax matter.

Greco777
4th Sep 2007, 14:35
Heard through the grapevine that around 30+ pilots (777& 330 fleet)from the US & Europe are facing a problem about the taxes that Jetair was to bear for the pilots initially to the Govt. of India on their behalf. The Pilots would then receive from Jetair the tax credit in order to submit to their respective countries. However, it was realized that because these pilots would not be staying in India for more than 180 days, tax to the Indian Govt. was not applicable. With this new development 30+ pilots are waiting for this issue to be resolved-With a salary of US$11,000.00, if foreign pilots have to shell out taxes in the US & Europe with their present taxation, they would have to shell out around $ 3000. to 5000 US$.
Anyone aware of the above and can shed some light on this issue?

sec 3
4th Sep 2007, 21:55
Are you referring to Jet Airways India?:bored:

Greco777
5th Sep 2007, 05:10
Yes, it's the Indian airline-Jetairways!Thanks for pointing it out.

sec 3
5th Sep 2007, 05:53
So many airlines popping up in India nowadays, thought i missed one:E

speedtwoten
5th Sep 2007, 10:51
Just be carefull it begin already in India that the company doesn't pay the tax and it will be your problem no agent/company will take responsible about it

strummerdude
5th Sep 2007, 11:10
There are no tax issues at JetAirways for pilots based in India. I get a paystube that shows taxes paid...and I get a yearly tax statement. I've seen it, I've held it. There is a rumor/issue regarding the 777 drivers who are not based in India. Some bean counter figured out he could save the company money. The issue is being addressed and unless they want to park airplanes I'm sure it'll be rectified.

Human Cargo
5th Sep 2007, 17:43
From what my sources tell me, The only pilots that really have a problem or Potential problem are the Pilots that work for Air India & Air India express.
Air India management have mired the entire issue in Indian Burocracy. And refuse to acknowledge any responsibility. The the Government has decided to now enforce the requirement for a tax certificate prior to issueing new visa's or visa extentions. To my knowledge this has had a limited effect on some pilots there, However as time goes on more and more folks will feel the effects.
However make no mistake that at some point the Indian department of taxation "WILL" demand retroactive payment of taxes once the issue is sorted out.This may take some time( a few years even) So by leaving your job does not relieve you from the payment of back takes or being tried in absenture for Taxevaision. Though there are some Tax treaty's with governments with regard to resiprocal tax agreements, some in the Indian Government either are not aware of this or in most cases don't care.
So to all affected pilots and those who will ignore this issue based on poor advise, and join Air India or India express beware. Do your own research externally. Dont take anybodys word on this because most of the time they too have not carefully research the matter.
All the best
HC

woodyspooney
7th Sep 2007, 11:58
Strummer; for the sake of my former colleagues holed up in Mumbai, I certainly hope they rectify the issue? What's the development regarding FAA licences for oldies above 60? Just been back after a short retirement itching to get back into action maybe with Jet or Air India. Thanks & cheers!

Greco777
7th Sep 2007, 13:53
Surprised that there is no contribution from the affected pilots of JetAirways, who are awaiting the issue to be resolved!!
Come on guys we all want to know what is going on?

billabongbill
7th Sep 2007, 23:52
Canucks keeping the cards really close to the chest. They have manoevre into positions of being B777 pioneers in Jet, so the spanner is in the works now with this tax thingy and I believe it's hard to lose face crawling back to Korean. Sigh, the ups and downs in airline flying once you leave the safety of the mothership!

fullforward
11th Sep 2007, 06:01
... for JET B777 expat drivers will tell the whole story.

strummerdude
12th Sep 2007, 12:20
All the american expats over 60 are headed to Canada to get their Canadian licence. That's the solution so far. As for the tax thing, there's still no answer. Pilots not based in India may not have their taxes paid.

R680
12th Sep 2007, 16:29
The tax matter is the following: some new JA exec from Singapore AL figured out that they could save 6Mil a year not paying taxes, per the contract. Some technical reading, they believe, allows them to sharp shoot the contract and avoid the payment of taxes. Bottom line: the net money promised has unilaterally been reduced anywhere from 30-50%, depending on the pilot's home country. Now, there seems to be some effort to "appoint" pilot reps to "renegotiate" the contract that they have signed and thought were sound.

I know there are a lot of desperate pilots in the world today, but I don't know why anyone would want to go through all you have to do to fly here when the management is completely cavalier about the contracts they sign. You really have no idea what can happen to you in India in any sense. I'd truly advise anyone to think long and hard about trusting any agreement you think you might have here. It seems indigenous pilots are complaining loud enough to the government to have a negative effect on expats, so let them fly their own schedules.

I strongly advise against undertaking employment at JA, and probably any Indian carrier.

R680
14th Sep 2007, 01:45
Events still unfolding.

I see recruiters are soliciting a "pool" of pilots for the aircraft being flown a Jet. Perhaps a coincidence...........? However, anyone out there thinking of jumping into that pool might want to think how their contracts may be changed a month or two after they join.

flightknight
16th Sep 2007, 15:34
The Income Tax department in India has a reputation for chasing down individuals but not big corporations. It would be prudent to spend a few bucks with a CA firm in Mumbai /Delhi and get the TRUTH about your tax situation.
Corporations have stiffed their employees, because they are diligently run by attorneys and not airplane drivers. Please protect yourselves by getting the best advise apart from this forum.

purr
17th Sep 2007, 17:09
I understand the tax matter is getting sorted out.:bored:

R680
18th Sep 2007, 00:35
Yeah, we've heard it was being "sorted out" for a month. In that time the pilot recruitment effort got started up again. Probably a coincidence, don't you think? These be dangerous waters.:sad:

NG ExPat
18th Sep 2007, 05:32
Our Company has made it mandatory for Ex Pats to fill out the forms and receive a PAN Card....PAN being Permanent Account Number. Near as I can figure, it is the Indian Version of a Social Security Number. The number can be used for buying property, such as Autos, Motorcycles, and and securing local Credit from Banks. On the application form, it has spaces where you fill in your employer information. I have been told, that issuance by India's Income Tax Department, and subsequent possession of the card, is assurance that your taxes are being paid. However, as all of us know who are in India, know nothing is for sure here. More information about this card can be found at www.tin-nsdl.com (http://www.tin-nsdl.com).

As for US Tax relief during your first year of employment, the Jury is still out on that matter. You can talk with 6 different Tax Advisors in the US, and you will get 6 different answers.

I think only the IRS knows for sure.