PDA

View Full Version : PPL Home Study Prior to 3 Week Course

JasonH
4th Sep 2007, 08:30
Hi,

I'm very new to this and don't know where to begin...

I've just received my self-study pack and have about 2 1/2 months before my course begins at OBA. I've started the visa process and am sorting the medical etc.

There's seems so much to get stuck into but where do I start with the course and how much do I need to do to before I get there to give me the best chance of passing, without having too much to do in Florida?

I'm sure this has been covered many times before and have looked. I'd really appreciate some advice here.

Regards,

Jason

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Sep 2007, 08:47
Jason,

Welcome to Pprune.

The best thing to do is get the exams done before you go, then all you will have to do is concentrate of the flying. You have already mentioned that there is alot to get through, but work your way through the study material for each subject. Did you get hold of the PPL confuser? If not it is welll worth getting. It is a book of questions very similar to those written by the CAA. It is a good tool to use to know what level the questions are pitched.

Once you have done this I would go through all the exercises of the PPL flying syllabus, 1 - 19, the blue Trevor Thom book is not a bad reference tool for this. Get all the basic procedures in your head and you will find the flying state side alot of fun, and if you are ahead of the game by doing the above it will give you time to relax in the evenings and have a bottle of USA mouth wash beer ;).

Enjoy it, flying in the US is a lot if fun.

RingwaySam
4th Sep 2007, 09:28
Sorry to hijack the post. Is it possible to do you're exams over here in the UK and then go to America to fly? I'm sure that would work out alot cheaper, and probably easier, and less stressful.

Gav28
4th Sep 2007, 10:23
You can sit the PPL exams at your local flying school. They will give you a license application form then just get the chief instructor to sign/stamp it for each exam you pass. Then take this with you to OBA.

I took two before I left, but if I could do it again I would definitely do them all. I spent the first week locked up doing the remaining 5 exams which made it difficult to concentrate on the flying(which is very intensive and requires your full attention if you want to get it done quickly). It will make your life a lot easier if you do them before you go. Especially Air law(you need this to fly solo) and Nav & Met(you need these two before you can do the solo x-country). And not to mention the fact it will free up your evenings to relax and have some beers which I found was essential after a hard days flying.

Also I hope you have made provisions to stay longer than three weeks if necessary, although it's possible, it's unlikely you will be done in this time. I lost a week to weather so I was out there for 5 weeks in all.
The exams are easy to pass though. I used the Jeremy Pratt books, if you do the practice questions book you will pass the exams.

AlphaMale
4th Sep 2007, 11:44
What if the student is looking to go to the states and do a 0-fATPL course? i.e. OBA do a Pre-ATPL course that consists of a FAA/JAA PPL?

I could sit the JAA exams at my local school but I guess the FAA exams would need to be done out there? Is there much difference between FAA and JAA ... Surely it's just Air Law? :confused:

Thanks

JasonH
4th Sep 2007, 12:54
Hi,

Thanks for the tips and the welcome guys. Is the confuser, different to the Q & A Simplifier that I've got as part of the course?

Regards,

Jason

Gav28
4th Sep 2007, 13:32
Yeah the confuser is a different book. Similar to the Q&A simplifier only lots more questions and by a different author. I thought the examples in the Q&A simplifier were sufficient myself. I bought the confuser then hardly used it.

Nibbler
4th Sep 2007, 14:44
Hiya

Take a look at this post It'll answer many of your questions.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278995