PDA

View Full Version : Group Captain JB 'Willie' Tait

Archimedes
3rd Sep 2007, 23:11
Forgive me for putting something with a distinct historical tinge to it on this forum, but it seems appropriate to record it here - Group Captain 'Willie' Tait, DSO***, DFC*, most famous for commanding 617 Sqn when the Tirpitz was sunk has died, aged 90. One of the most highly decorated men of WW2 and CO of 51 and 78 Sqns in addition to 617 (I assume that this probably made him fairly unique as well, being the former CO of three extant RAF squadrons). I am led to believe by friends who knew him from the 617 Sqn association that his courage was only matched by his modesty.

The Torygraph obit can be found here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=U2VAKO5DQVRQLQFIQMGSFFOAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2007/09/03/db0301.xml&page=3)

Al R
4th Sep 2007, 05:00
I was going to suggest that he would have blown away the "I remember when ~ pull up a snadbag"' thread with nothing more than a word or two, but ".. he was a very reserved, almost shy man who shunned publicity and was reticent to speak of his achievements. His family knew little of his wartime exploits." I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't heard of Group Captain Tait, but after reading that, what on earth is there left to say?

'Thank you' seems inadequate.

teeteringhead
4th Sep 2007, 09:04
One of the most interesting insights into how different life must have been, was that Tait commanded 3 different squadrons during the war, 51 and 78 as well as 617......

......but I always thought it was 9 Sqn that sunk the Tirpitz :E:E