PDA

View Full Version : Hand baggage

Beer_n_Tabs
3rd Sep 2007, 13:30
No doubt this has been covered before, so my apologies if this is that case. I did a quick 'search' but it threw up allsorts of things not including what I was looking for.

So my question.....

As far as I can tell, us pax are allowed 1 piece of hand baggage in the cabin? So does that mean I am then not allowed to buy my duty free ciggies, perfume for the mrs, toy for the boy as it will mean I have 2 pieces of hand luggage in another sealed plastic bag?

Ok to be honest I have done this umpteen times and happily strolled onto my flight with 2 pieces af hand baggage after my visit to the 'shops'. Am I being cynical, is this overlooked so we can all contribute to the airport stores coffers.

Cheers
B_n_T

johnref
3rd Sep 2007, 13:41
It's one bag to get through security - then you can buy buy buy!:)

strake
3rd Sep 2007, 13:51
As has just been said, it's not the aircraft that's the problem it is the security check.
The strange thing is, you can put one bag inside the other before security and then take it out again as it comes off the scanner.....

Beer_n_Tabs
3rd Sep 2007, 14:05
Gawd Bless ya Gents

Thanks for clearing that up

:ok:

perkin
3rd Sep 2007, 18:04
Depends on the airline. Jet2 for example has retained the one bag on board rule, although the general rule of thumb seems to be one bag through security and a 'duty-free' carrier bag in addition is acceptable. I wouldn't go mad though as you'll get some nasty looks from fellow pax/cc if you take up all the locker space! :)

10secondsurvey
5th Sep 2007, 11:36
In my experience, they are very strict as to what you can take through security, but then you are actively encouraged to buy buy buy from their retail outlets.

It makes the hand luggage restrictions seem as though they are all about increasing airport retail profits. Surely that can't be the case?? Can it??

Beer_n_Tabs
5th Sep 2007, 12:48
I think I will remain a cynical so & so.....its much more fun :ok:

christep
5th Sep 2007, 14:53
All of this "one bag" stuff is ex-UK only. Everywhere else in the world has the good fortune not to have their airports managed by BAA, and hence have adequate amounts of security screening equipment and staff.

strake
5th Sep 2007, 15:28
All of this "one bag" stuff is ex-UK only. Everywhere else in the world has the good fortune not to have their airports managed by BAA, and hence have adequate amounts of security screening equipment and staff.

Ah, you've obviously not had the pleasure of Boston recently.

Week before last, 1hr 30 minutes to get through the scanners. Fast(!)Track.

UniFoxOs
5th Sep 2007, 15:43
If you have ever travelled on a plane with a load of septics you would know why the AIRLINES have a "one bag" rule, and wish they would enforce it. As one of the last to get on the plane I always end up with the only overhead locker space about 30 rows away.

UFO

perkin
5th Sep 2007, 20:34
Everywhere else in the world has the good fortune not to have their airports managed by BAA

I pass through Manchester at least 4 times a month and I never set foot inside a BAA airport... :ok:

Chris777
5th Sep 2007, 21:33
Don't rub it in Perkin :)

Rickenbacker69
9th Sep 2007, 10:08
I never thought of that... So I could concievably buy some small, cheap item tax free and then stuff all kinds of clothing etc in the bag, effectively giving me two available pieces of hand luggage? Excellent :). Considering how often the airlines "lose" luggage, or just plain steal stuff out of it, I try to never check anything, ever.