PDA

View Full Version : Lebanese Heli-Bombers and Hunters

ORAC
3rd Sep 2007, 08:04
Anybody got any old Hunter seat bits lying around, or maybe they could do with some Jags..... :cool:

DefenseNews: Lebanon Develops Helicopter Bombers (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3000788&C=airwar)

Faced with an urgent need for air-strike weaponry, the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) has taken a do-it-yourself approach. LAF technical teams have converted UH-1H utility helicopters into bombers, updated decades-old bombs and are planning to resurrect out-of-service warplanes, Lebanese officials said.

“We have a serious situation in Nahr Al-Bared refugee camp and the international community has not responded fast enough to our military requirements to deal with the threat,” one senior Lebanese military official said. “Hence we have decided to take things in our own hands. We brought out 30-year-old bombs — originally acquired to be used on board the Hawker Hunter attack aircraft — and now we are dropping them from our helicopters with a good degree of precision and effectiveness.”

The LAF has been fighting an al-Qaida-allied Islamic terrorist group known as Fatah Al-Islam in the Nahr Al-Bared Palestinian refugee camp in northern Lebanon since late May. Most of the camp’s 35,000 inhabitants left in the early days of the fighting. More recently, LAF Special Forces and armored units have been making slow but steady progress in the camp’s narrow alleyways. LAF officials said some 400 to 500 terrorists have been killed in the fighting, with at least 100 captured and an estimated 65 still holding out. To date, 146 LAF troops have been killed. The current phase of the conflict in Nahr Al-Bared has been regarded by experts as the toughest because the terrorists are using bomb shelters and fortifications built years ago by the Palestine Liberation Organization to be used by its late leader Yassir Arafat.

“These are very well-built defenses with bomb shelters and bunkers linked up with underground tunnels,” said Ahmad Temsah, a retired Lebanese Air Force brigadier general. “Regular artillery and tank shells have no serious effect on such defenses, and the only way to deal with them is through heavy air-dropped bombs.”

Temsah called the move to convert helicopters into bombers a “genius idea.” LAF technicians and engineers modified the UH-1H helicopters, raising the height of the landing skids and belly mounting bomb-release gear and pylons from retired Mirage-3 jets. “Then we got out of the depots old bombs and fitted them with new detonators and loaded them on the helicopters and tested the system and it was a success,” the official said.

So far, the helicopters have dropped 250-kilogram and 400-kilogram bombs from altitudes between 3,000 and 4,000 feet. The pilots use GPS devices to help guide them from point of departure to the bomb-release point. “The precision has been remarkable, with most bombs landing within a 10-meter radius,” Temsah said.

The strikes have demolished many of the camp’s two- and three-floor buildings and many of the fortifications of the Fatah Al-Islam, according to LAF officials.

The LAF engineers have set up a bomb production line to ensure there will be enough bombs to complete the fight in Nahr Al-Bared and to prepare for possible future confrontations, the senior military official said.

Fawzi Abu-Farhat, a retired LAF brigadier general and editor of the monthly Arab Defense Journal, said, “This is the first time in the history of warfare that a helicopter is used as a bomber ... in an effective manner.”

But Temsah said helicopter bombs can only be used in special cases when the enemy does not have air defenses and the weather conditions are good.

The LAF official said commanders have also decided to bring five Hawker Hunter jets back into service after a decade’s retirement — if needed parts can be found. Sources said the main need is for ejector-seat parts.

Abu-Farhat noted that the LAF is one of the few Arab militaries that rely on local technicians to maintain and repair equipment and airplanes, and said the country’s acute economic conditions compel the troops to be innovative. “These technical skills have enabled the LAF to keep many of its helicopters flying even when the West was not providing Lebanon with spare parts and military aid,” Abu Farhat said. “Now these same technicians and engineers, who are educated and trained in Europe and the U.S., have developed the helicopter bombers.”

LAF Command officials have complained in recent months that long-promised international military aid has arrived too slowly and in quantities too small to meet its modernization needs.

Temsah called for the international community to step up its airpower aid. “Lebanon is a mountainous country, and hence the LAF must have an airpower capability, even at a minimum level of one squadron of attack warplanes for close ground support,” Temsah said.

Double Zero
3rd Sep 2007, 18:20
' The main need is for ejection seat parts ' - yes I can see the sense in that on several levels ...:bored:

deebchamoun
15th Apr 2012, 17:20
our problem now we can't find spare parts for them,so we need it badly.anyone can direct me to a good company or reseller.

NutLoose
15th Apr 2012, 17:34
Try

Ejection Seat Servicing & Cartridges (http://www.ses-safety.com/Ejection-Seats.html)

Welcome - Delta Jets Ltd. (http://www.deltajets.com/)

Oddly enough when I did my RAF training at Saints, we went on leave for Easter, came back and the Hunters we had for training had gone, they were flown out after being put back together for overhaul, I believe they then went to Lebanon... Small world..

Evalu8ter
15th Apr 2012, 17:49
Not the first time RW have been used to bomb either...the Soviets did it in Afghanistan during the early 1980s and it wouldn't surprise me if the French dropped bombs in Algeria; they fired everything else off them (salvaged aircraft cannons, bazookas etc). Daisy cutters off the ramp of a CH47/underslung from a CH54 Tarhe in Vietnam?

Funny old thing, in a permissive air environment it's quite sensible not to use expensive FJ to deliver A-G wpns - the USN had quite an idea using the Hoover for it, right up to the point it endangered FJ numbers of course.

Martin the Martian
16th Apr 2012, 15:56
Ejection seat parts?

That's a euphemism for pilots I haven't heard before.:E

Agaricus bisporus
16th Apr 2012, 16:59
dropped...bombs from altitudes between 3,000 and 4,000 feet. The pilots use GPS devices to help guide them from point of departure to the bomb-release point. “The precision has been remarkable, with most bombs landing within a 10-meter radius,” Temsah said.

So their pilots can't navigate from base to target without GPS yet are able to drop iron bombs from 4000ft with 10m accuracy. The first part of that sentence I can well believe, but the second is pure hooey. I'd imagine you'd struggle to get a bomb within 2-300m from a helo unless you sit in a high hover and "taxi" by GPS to the release point, kill all groundspeed and pickle... mmm, no, I don't think so somehow.

Bit of political bullshine going on there I think , what are the chances the same sort of dreamland applies to resurrecting 60yr old Hunters too?

NutLoose
16th Apr 2012, 17:25
Bit of political bullshine going on there I think , what are the chances the same sort of dreamland applies to resurrecting 60yr old Hunters too

Bit cynical there, especially bearing in mind they are about two dig a dozen or so Spitfires from a field in Burma, put some wind in the tyres and then fly them :E
So a 60yr old hunter should be no problem :p

Fareastdriver
16th Apr 2012, 17:39
I wouldn't have thought it would not too difficult. The advantage of GPS over traditional bomb aiming systems is that the wind and ground speed are accurate. Should the helicopter have HSI steering set at 0.25/mile on the beam bar it can be kept within ten metres of the bombing track. The groundspeed is known; the wind at height is known and as there are observers near the target the correction for altitude wind change can be calculated. The bomb's ballistic characteristics are either known or can be found by experiment so at 60 knots or so the release can be activated very precisely.
617 Squadron could plant a Tallboy within 100 yards from 15,000 ft with comparatively primitive instrumentation so I would imagine with a bit of effort and enthusiasm a Huey could get very good results.