PDA

View Full Version : Air Ambulance BBC1 Monday 3rd-Friday 6th 0915

HOGE
2nd Sep 2007, 11:32
Don't know if this has already been posted.

Helicopter Heroes
BBC1
New series. Richard Hammond follows the work of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance service, who rescued him following a potentially fatal crash while filming Top Gear last year, beginning with a rescue in the Yorkshire Dales and the search for a missing hang-glider pilot
Documentary
Tomorrow on BBC1 from 9:15am to 10:00am

Also: at least 6 other Episodes.

scruggs
2nd Sep 2007, 11:37
Thanks for the heads-up :ok:

S

Barshifter
2nd Sep 2007, 12:10
BBC listings show it as every morning this week at 9.15AM

scruggs
3rd Sep 2007, 18:00
Interesting programme I must say. Well, I enjoyed it anyway.

I'm sure one of the pilots on there (fella with a tash) was also flying SY99 in Sky Cops...

S:ok:

manfromuncle
3rd Sep 2007, 18:30
Air ambulance - interesting.

Richard "famous for trying to be like Jeremy Clarkson, oh, and I'm the one who had that crash" Hammond - not interesting.

Why does every programme have to be hosted by some C-list celeb these days?

What Limits
3rd Sep 2007, 21:04
Although I thought he was trying to look like Richard from Richard and Judy!

Good programme otherwise and yes, Ian can be seen also flying SY99 sometimes.

FloaterNorthWest
3rd Sep 2007, 21:19
manfromuncle,

Richard Hammond by profession is a Presenter, so don't be surprised to see him presenting things.

He's also raised £193,180 for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance!

What's your contribution to society?

FNW

TiPwEiGhT
3rd Sep 2007, 22:04
No matter how annoying TV shows can be, any form of promotion/awareness for a cause such as an air ambulance should be celebrated.

Good on Richard Hammond for being so greatful to the guys who helped him, that's alot of useful money he has raised.

TiP:ok:

flower
3rd Sep 2007, 22:16
Unfortunately although set to record on sky+ it didn't due to what it called a technical fault , I hope I fare better tomorrow.

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2007, 22:22
Air ambulance - interesting.

Richard "Hamster" Hammond - even better! :ok:

Why aren't more programmes hosted by presenters who are gentlemen, entertaining and modest! And easy on the eye!

Cheers

Whirls

Bertie Thruster
4th Sep 2007, 05:54
I'm not sure I understand "easy on the eye" in regards to Richard.

Am I missing something here?

Now the 902.....that's easy on the eye!

manfromuncle
4th Sep 2007, 07:12
Yes, it IS a very worthy cause, and well done for him for supporting them.

"He doesn't like to talk about it?

http://tinyurl.com/2g8aax

Mmm....

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2007, 07:18
Well Bertie, it's like this you see ..... If I had a choice of three hours of fun with RH or three hours of fun with your 902, then ..... ah yes! I see your point :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Thud_and_Blunder
4th Sep 2007, 09:15
The RH fella's got a real work ethic, too - the Beeb folk embedded at YAA for many weeks said he was excellent to work with. Took the trouble to learn his lines, rarely took more than 1 shot and was generally pleasant to be around. It would appear that the same couldn't be said for his agent but I suppose that's what they get their 10% (or whatever) for. Right, that's enough infinitives split.

scruggs
4th Sep 2007, 10:31
I have to agree, anything or anyone that can raise awareness, bring attention to the cause and raise funds is, in my opinion, a great thing.

Good on RH and the Beeb I say.

S

What Limits
4th Sep 2007, 10:49
Well done everybody but how close does a bird need to get before they wear their visors down?

whoateallthepies
5th Sep 2007, 06:19
You never know what might come through the window!
Put those visors down.
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/horse_windshield_spainsm.jpeg

medihell
5th Sep 2007, 09:09
I don't think there is much chance of a horse coming through the screen and even if it did, the visor aint going to do alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

What Limits
5th Sep 2007, 09:20
Access - how are you going to get to the patient and how are you going to get them on the helicopter?

If there is easy access from the pub car park, its always going to win over the fight to get over the barbed wire fence.

FloaterNorthWest
5th Sep 2007, 09:55
I'm sure if you are strapped to a spinal board you would prefer a 20 yard carry to a 120 yard carry with an obstacle crossing.

Why do people criticise pilots when the only information they have to base their opinion on is highly edited footage?

Let's leave it to the professionals on scene who have all the information.

I'm glad they do all of those re-caps as I had forgotten about the old lady in the car from 2 minutes ago.

Where was I? Oh yes..............I'm sure if you are strapped to a spinal board ..........

FNW

whoateallthepies
5th Sep 2007, 11:27
Medihell
How astute of you to realise that a horse won't come through the windshield. But keep a good look out for one of these.
Luckily it came through the Explorer chin window and not the main screen! (Had my visor down anyway)
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/Birdstrike.JPG

Flaxton Flyer
5th Sep 2007, 11:52
Hooloovoo - "No there wasn't a fence you could literally have just walked from the field over onto the carpark"

Really??

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/MisterScobb/bradders_0043.jpg

medihell
5th Sep 2007, 12:58
Armchair critics (don't you just love em):rolleyes:

MINself
5th Sep 2007, 13:17
Part of the life saving benefit of the air ambulance is to be able to, when and where necessary and considering all the available facts, land in just these sort of locations for the immediate and rapid transportation of patients to definitve care. I'm sure this pilot would of been glad of your expertise on the day but you weren't there. Unless you're faced with the same facts may I suggest that you are not in a position to decide where the pilot should of landed! :D to those that are.

medihell
5th Sep 2007, 13:22
Well said!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

medihell
5th Sep 2007, 13:43
No you don't have to have 15,000 hrs, or come to think of it any rating at all, but common sense and a basic understanding of what these pilots have to face on a daily basis might help.It's very easy to sit and find fault but until you aware of all the facts keep your opinions to yourself.:=

Flaxton Flyer
5th Sep 2007, 13:45
Nice try, Hooloovoo, but it was fenced off. You'll have to trust me on that! :)

Of course you can discuss things on here, that's what it's all about, it helps people learn and progress. Why, it was only a few weeks back that we were discussing with you where you should be taking helicopter flying lessons, wasn't it? Look at you now:ok:

wizo
5th Sep 2007, 13:49
He does a lot for charatee but dosen't like to talk about it.

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2007, 13:53
Excuse me but I don't believe I was finding fault or even expressing an opinion.
Tone dear boy, tone. Even in the written word, a tone of "voice" can come through! And it is that to which some people took exception.

Use of the word "exactly" could be considered sarcastic. "Bloody enormous" is an opinion as to size, dimension and suitablility. So, the question could have been rephrased, "Oh - and in the bit where they had to make the difficult landing in the car park towards the end of the episode, could someone please explain why they didn't use the field as from the TV screen, it looked suitable for a landing?"

I hope that explains the responses you got?

Cheers

Whirls

medihell
5th Sep 2007, 13:54
Quote:
what exactly was wrong with the bloody enormous field just off to the left?
Not quite the same as

large open field just adjacent to where they were trying to park.

Good look with the lessons!

MINself
5th Sep 2007, 14:15
Well old chap, the pilot who's decision making your choosing to find fault with has significantly more hours than that and not that is in a reason not to be able to express an opinion or to have a valid question, however, when its an opinion based on nothing more than a few seconds worth of tv it doesn't really carry much weight when you are trying to pick holes with another pilots selection of a landing site! :=

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2007, 14:17
To a point but this is quite a small world and it pays to be (reasonably) respectful towards those who maybe paying your salary one day, should you have commercial aspirations!

Secondly, until people on here get to know you and your character, jestin' and joshin' is not always so easy to spot. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

helimutt
5th Sep 2007, 14:35
YOU HAVIN' A GO WHIRLS? :E:E:ok:

Stringfellow Dork
5th Sep 2007, 15:00
Firstly - very good that this program is raising awareness for a well worthwhile cause. I reckon many people may have thought until watching that it was paid for/provided by the NHS. Might help get some cash rolling in.

Secondly - ...why do they have to keep doing the "coming up on...." thing? It's everywhere these days. Do they really think people have attention spans so short that they will lose interest if they don't keep telling us what's coming up in the next five minutes? Along a similar line why do they then have to re-cap what happened five minutes ago?

It annoys the hell out of me too. My guess is that it is for when/if the programme is shown on commercial stations with ad-breaks and/or for those viewers that are scanning the channels. With so many channels to chose from these days you have to quickly grab the viewers attention and inform them of what they have missed and what they are about to see to keep them watching. It makes for painful viewing of you have a sniff of intelligence and have been watching from the start!

Flaxton Flyer
5th Sep 2007, 17:23
It's all down to who commissions the program, and what the target audience is. In this case it's morning daytime TV who are the "customer" of the production team.

Now, according to the analysts, the average morning TV viewer is not one to sit around and watch TV., (s)he is running around doing the washing, wiping the kids noses, hoovering etc. and just "dipping" in and out of the telly. So the progs have to be structured to try and get the passing viewer's interest : so they either get a quick resume so they can pick up on what's already happened, or they get a "hook" of what's coming up in the hope they will plonk their bums down and continue watching.

These are 45 minute programs, but you can bet your ass that if they were on prime-team evening TV it would be 30 minutes with all the "slack" cut out. The reasoning this time being that people are actually wanting to tune in and watch. The first one did seem over-loaded with "coming ups " etc but the second and third seemed more content and less waffle.

It is quite possible that it will end up in an evening slot sometime in the future. That's what happened with Seaside Rescue apparantly. I get quite a few mid-week days off, but I never saw or heard of it until it appeared in the evening slot.

Don't expect too much blood and guts in the series though - this is feelgood TV where most people survive, designed not to spoil Yummy Mummy's day. Save that for "AA Uncut". Not to say that everybody will survive, mind : it is possible to lose a couple without too much viewer trauma.

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2007, 17:56
YOU HAVIN' A GO WHIRLS? :E:E:ok:

Moi? I'm just doing my "primary school teacher" act, looking up over the top of my half-moon reading spectacles!!!

Cheers

Whirls

WylieCoyote
5th Sep 2007, 18:04
Sorry for going off on a slight tangent, but Whoateallthepies what speed were you doing and at what height were you when you were assaulted by your feathered friend?
I'm currently spending large parts of my day mixing it with the feathered aviators below 200ft but slowish (40kts).Anyone any thoughts as to wheather at those speeds a bird would break through some high quality Eurocopter plexiglass?
To keep on theme,saw the programme and thought it very good.

Bearintheair
5th Sep 2007, 21:11
Pies was at 600 ft, 110 kts when he hit the buzzard.

AlphaJulietHotel
6th Sep 2007, 00:44
i'm currently spending large parts of my day mixing it with the feathered aviators below 200ft but slowish (40kts).Anyone any thoughts as to wheather at those speeds a bird would break through some high quality Eurocopter plexiglass?
plus the possible speed of said feathered individual...

WylieCoyote
6th Sep 2007, 09:47
AJH,

Granted ofcourse the bird would have some forward speed and could hit you from various angles which would all have different outcomes, hit the blades, intakes, windows etc. The size of the bird would also have an effect, a buzzard's pretty big and having a closing speed probably around 140-150kts you can see how it did what it did. Perhaps what I should have asked is does anyone know to what standards the screens are tested?
Frozen chickens fired at the screen and all that.

JimBall
6th Sep 2007, 10:28
Hoovooloo: Mightly impressed with the strength of your arguments, the reliability of your evidence and your amazing judgement.

Have spoken to some colleagues and we suggested you should make yourself available as a pilot with a world-leading organisation who have a constant demand for pilots with your qualities. A choice of great machines to fly - some police, some HEMS and even a bit of SAR. Good luck!

Click here (http://www.toysrus.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?kw=helicopter&zone=Tru)

whoateallthepies
6th Sep 2007, 11:35
JB
Excellent link. I know where Santa should get my next present from!

Hooloovoo
Stick at it. At no stage in anyone's career are they above being questioned as to decisions taken and your questions show that you are thinking on the right lines for safety. You've been put right as regards this particular situation but don't be slow in asking pertinent questions in the future.

There's a saying in this part of the world (Middle East):-
"The ignorant learns at his own expense and the wise at the expense of others"

Which is why we have Pprune.

Bertie Thruster
7th Sep 2007, 09:37
.....Ppruner "outed" by TV! Flaxton Flyer presents his moniker on telly.

........Cobb the Mod! Nice Scooter!

scruggs
7th Sep 2007, 09:56
That was/is one damn fine scooter! :ok:

S

Whirlygig
7th Sep 2007, 09:59
As an old rocker with a Triumph Bonneville yes, that was a nice scooter! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

trying to improve entente cordial between the Mods and Rockers!!!

scruggs
7th Sep 2007, 10:01
trying to improve entente cordial between the Mods and Rockers!!!

I fear you're flogging a dead horse there Whirly :}

S.

Bertie Thruster
7th Sep 2007, 10:16
....nice scooter Flaxton!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/MisterScobb/final-1.jpg

Regards, BT. (former Lambretta LD 150 owner, sold for £5 in 1968!)

Flaxton Flyer
7th Sep 2007, 13:39
That is the most blantant case of identity theft I have ever seen. That Cobb bloke will be hearing from my legal team sharpish.

On the other hand, a cynic might say that probably explains how I knew so much about the fence in episode 1......:ok:

I was hoping not to be "outed" until episode 10 so at least I could enjoy being an anonymous poster on this thread until then!

Be kind to me, it's hard having your life up for scrutiny in front of your peers..

scruggs
7th Sep 2007, 15:04
Has a base been chosen for G-CEMS yet?

S

Flaxton Flyer
7th Sep 2007, 16:44
Just awaiting delivery of the medical fit for G-CEMS, scheduled to start at Sheffield Airport from the second week in October.

scruggs
7th Sep 2007, 16:45
Thanks FF.

S

Flaxton Flyer
9th Sep 2007, 11:05
The world of scootering is a lot different today than it was in your day, Bertie. Life was so much simpler then, buy yourself a 'bretta and you were suddenly surrounded by semi-naked totty...

PS The LD you sold for £5 back in '68 would probably net you £600 today!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/MisterScobb/46-lambretta-series2_beach-party_sc.jpg

Brilliant Stuff
9th Sep 2007, 15:40
I like the program because it concentrates on the helicopter and what it does not on the private lifes of the crew though I am only on episode 2.

I don't like the constant "And coming up" but this has been voiced.

What I also did not like is when the helicopter was landing in the workman club's car park RH said if one of the engines were to fail now the helicopter would crash. Well correct me if I am wrong but all that would happen is that the other engine would take up the slack and the helicopter would land as if nothing had happened after all he was past LDP. After all this was all CAT A stuff.

Why not tell the truth i.e. todays generation can cope with the loss of an engine.

All of it is excellent advertising for our Air Ambulance brethren.

Rock on chaps.

Bertie Thruster
9th Sep 2007, 17:27
Flaxton: much as I enjoyed the cheapness of scootering on the LD 150 (bought for a tenner), it was only a means to an end. The day after I passed my test on the scooter I sold it! The next day I bought a 1959 Triumph 650 (for £60) and went 100+mph for the first time in my life! (and helmets not then mandatory!)

Thrashed the Triumph for three years then sold it in 1971 for £30. Probably worth about £6k now!

Brilliant: its not all Performance Class 1/Cat A

Flaxton Flyer
9th Sep 2007, 18:09
Brilliant Stuff - might be an idea for you to stop watching after episode 2, as it does concentrate quite a bit on what the crews do off-duty in the next couple! I'm led to believe that next week is a bit grittier but we'll see.

It was always going to be a struggle to fill 10 x 45 minute programs with wall to wall action. Originally the idea was to film it over a much longer period - maybe even 12 months, but in the end it had to be filmed, edited and ready for transmission in less than 4 months. I think the Beeb crew did a fantastic job, and they were all top blokes who didn't whinge when they got left behind on some god forsaken country road in the middle of nowhere in a red flying suit carrying a large camera. And they bought the fish and chips every Friday!!

Bertie - I wish I'd had an old Triumph. Wiping up all the constant oil leaks on the kitchen floor would have stood me in good stead for my daily 902 engine bay wipe!

JimL
9th Sep 2007, 18:36
Brilliant and Bertie,

In fact almost none of it is - it is mostly PC2.

Jim

Brilliant Stuff
9th Sep 2007, 21:55
Cheers Jim.

Bertie Thruster
10th Sep 2007, 07:51
it is mostly PC2

Why do you say that, JimL?

Regards, BT

tacr2man
10th Sep 2007, 08:13
I see the scooters still do the same , I remember being chased from Oxford by a group of ''mods'' only one stayed the course for a while round the ring road, then it siezed up and had him off, I was riding a Royal Enfield Continental GT at the time cost me £260 just over a year old. cant get a decent push bike for that now:hmm:

BRASSEMUP
10th Sep 2007, 09:03
Just watched the program............Well done Paul! Beats being a RMP hahaha Your my hero.

Banjo24
13th Sep 2007, 07:00
Did the scooter thing many years ago now moved on to the luxury of a BMW with all the toys for long cruises but the wife just tells me owning a beemer means I am officially old:hmm:

What is that about "RMP" guess that really is a monkey on the stick

Whirlygig
13th Sep 2007, 07:16
Banjo24, I'm afraid I tend to agree with Mrs. Banjo's definition of old. ;) Now ..... if you got, say, an Alfa, it could knock years off you!!! :} Could this be the new definition of a pilot's retirement age? The point at which you say ... "Hhmmm, A BMW.... comfy!" :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

BRASSEMUP
13th Sep 2007, 07:20
Well as usuall most army pilots aren't true blue!:E

Brilliant Stuff
13th Sep 2007, 13:37
Banjo I am stunned, you used to have such an eclectic collection of cars. And now you have gone boring middle of the road rep car.:ooh::eek::eek: You should have gone for something with stars IMHO.:}:}

Next you are going to tell me you are thinking about sorting some Pension for your good self.

Must be all that sick leave, your brain has gone to mush.:E

Max_Chat
14th Sep 2007, 10:02
Well said FNW. But what is more important is that he blows up caravans, now that is something to be really proud of.

Good on yer Hammy.

sss
15th Sep 2007, 07:25
this air ambulance must be the best in the country, so far out of the whole series that i have seen i dont think any one has died!

Thank you BEEB for another true to life documentary (at least casualty and holby city is a bit more realistic).

MINself
15th Sep 2007, 08:34
sss, you could not have watched the whole series, or not as closely as you thought, as there is an episode which features the story of a motor cyclist who tragically dies near the Lady Bower reservoir it even shows the bikers family visiting the air ambulance unit weeks later and meeting the paramedics to try and get some closure on their loss. Suggest you watch more closely next time!

IMHO well done to the BBC for covering such tragedy with sympathy and tact and not trying to over dramatize it and try to turn it into a story line from Casualty or Holby City. Also remember that some of stories featured have been edited to reflect that they are being shown on day time TV and that they cannot show the "graphicness" of an evening, post water-shed programme.

:ok:

scruggs
15th Sep 2007, 08:55
All-in-all a fantastic series which I thoroughly enjoyed. Well done to the Beeb and the entire team at the YAA!

S

sss
15th Sep 2007, 16:49
sss, you could not have watched the whole series, or not as closely as you thought, as there is an episode which features the story of a motor cyclist who tragically dies near the Lady Bower reservoir

apologies due then, im afraid i did miss that one, i have been unable to watch the whole series.
but im afraid i am a believer in a documentary showing warts and all, even if people dont like it.

TripleC
15th Sep 2007, 18:15
Way back before Pontious I was lucky enough to be among the first pilots to fly the Puma in the RAF (No1 course actually). The introduction of the Puma saw a sharp rise in Birdstrikes. The RAF Directorate of Flight Safety investigated this and came to the conclusion that, up to c100Kts birds usually have enough reaction time to avoid the big metal ones. Before the Puma (cruise speed of 140kts) we had the Whirlwind and Wessex both of which struggled to reach 100kts. With modern helicopters capable of speeds in excess of 165kts and ****ehawks capable of soaring at 10,000ft need I say more?

Bravo73
29th Oct 2007, 18:57
This program is being repeated this evening (Monday 29th Oct) on BBC1 at 1930hrs.

ShyTorque
29th Oct 2007, 21:33
****ehawks capable of soaring at 10,000ft need I say more?

I went to 43,000 feet once....but didn't like it much.