PDA

View Full Version : To much sex and violence visible to kids in in-flight movies

Eboy
1st Sep 2007, 11:47
As a United frequent flyer, I support comments in this article that there is too much sex and violence in in-flight movies that is visible to children. I find the countervailing comments of the Continental representative to be unpersuasive.

"A husband shoots his wife in the face, then drags her body from the pool of blood. A 12-year-old boy is crushed against a fence by a car. A teenager zips up her jeans in the bathroom after a sexual encounter.

These are images from movies shown to passengers recently on overhead screens in airlines, and they are sources of a new and vigorous outcry from parents, flight attendants and children’s advocacy groups who say that in-flight entertainment has become anything but family-friendly."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/01/us/01plane.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

(registration may be required to view)

Luke0705
1st Sep 2007, 18:38
To be honest, In this Debate the airline Can never win, In there it States that the airline Has fitted Personal Screen, "but the children can still look at other peoples Screens !"

:ugh:

So The only other option Is to Show The tweenies And Child freindly Shows, Wich then would Make this Debate Visa versa , Adults being sick Of wacthing children Program.

Avman
1st Sep 2007, 18:58
Have you ever seen the violence on children's programs?

I thought that movies released for viewing in the main cabin on airlines were subject to additional censorship. Is that still not the case?

SXB
3rd Sep 2007, 21:37
I've never seen anything which I would consider disturbing on the main screen. For the multi channel screen I wouldn't allow my kids to watch anything I considered violent, but to shield them completely is unrealistic. I'm not concerned about a sex scene in a film but I draw the line when sex is mixed with violence, though I doubt you'd ever see that on a plane.

Avman is right about the violence in childrens film material, especially some of the older cartoons.

Most movies will have little effect on kids but some will, I recently caught my nine year old watching the 'Blair Witch Project' which he'd taken from my DVD collection, that movie scared the sh*t out of me so I'm glad I caught him whilst he was watching the starting credits.....

Slasher
11th Sep 2007, 03:35
Yep, young minds can be impressed.

I was 6 when I first saw Star Trek - then and there I made it my intent to become a starship captain and join the Academy at Starfleet. Warp speed - THAT was for me!

Was rudely told later it was all rubbish and years since had to settle for a measley sublight jet instead.

Im still not over it.

AUTOGLIDE
11th Sep 2007, 07:25
If it's a modern seatback personal screen system, then the flight attendants can lock-out anything unsuitable for children for that seat, so a child can't select it.
If it's an overhead broadcast, you're stuck with the airlines choice and standards.

Ozzy
11th Sep 2007, 13:00
Eboy you are perfectly free to choose an airline whose choices and standards wrt IFE are more in line with your own. I object to those who object to my right to choose which airline's IFE choices and standards are in line with mine.:hmm:

Ozzy