View Full Version : Go and buy the Pongos a beer

Maple 01
30th Aug 2007, 23:30
The Anglians are coming home soon so we might as well buy them a drink

http://www.redratcraftbrewery.co.uk/Buy%20Some%20Beer%20For%20the%20Boys.htm

Yes, I know it's nothing to do with Mil flying

Chris Kebab
31st Aug 2007, 12:08
And it's worth reflecting on the fact that they have lost nine guys so far.

gijoe
31st Aug 2007, 12:12
...and many, many more injured in a way that really isn't fit to be described here.

G

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 12:17
A neat idea.

Here's to the rest of the Angle Irons making it home safely.

Tigs2
31st Aug 2007, 12:30
Awesome link Maple Thanks!

Good to see one organisation in the UK is doing something for the troops:ok::ok: I have sent a message of thanks to the brewery.

Mr C Hinecap
31st Aug 2007, 12:39
I arranged something back in 2000 with a local brewery. They agreed to brew, at cost, an ale for us. Given that 'Cats Eyes' Cunningham and other RAFACA & RAFA chaps drank in our bar, we got them to name it for us - 'Squadron Scramble Ale' - all profits to RAFACA & RAFA. I wrote to every PMC, CMC & RAFALO in the RAF.

We sold 8 barrels. Total.

Please support this more recent effort. I hope it does exceptionally well.

Tigs2
31st Aug 2007, 12:50
Mr C

8 barrels total!! That really is shocking, you must have been pretty dissappointed with that response.

smugley
31st Aug 2007, 13:04
Beer bought.:D

Flip Flop Flyer
31st Aug 2007, 13:43
100 bottles bought. With thanks from Denmark, well done boys!

Tigs2
31st Aug 2007, 13:46
Flip Flop

Good on you:ok::ok::ok:

FantomZorbin
31st Aug 2007, 13:48
Mr C H, Tigs2,

Probably something to do with the way NAAFI/Contract Caterers have the Units stitched up to only be supplied through them :mad:

ORAC
31st Aug 2007, 14:29
Well I bought a 100 UKP worth. Should last about 0.000001 nanoseconds... :}

Mr C Hinecap
31st Aug 2007, 14:41
It was in 2000. Before many of the restrictive contracts. It would not have taken much effort to procure a barrel. Yes - I was gutted. Best wishes to the venture mentioned here tho. :ok:

Maple 01
31st Aug 2007, 15:16
Wasn't being original, posted on ARRSE first

Clockwork Mouse
31st Aug 2007, 17:05
This is not the first time my old regiment has suffered in Afghanistan. In 1842 we lost the whole of the 44th Foot, the Pompadours, on the little hill at Gundamuck. Only two survivors. Thank God that scale of casualties is unlikely to be repeated these days.
Of course the MoD finally finished us off for good in 1992 after 304 years of glorious history in the defence of our country. On that sad occasion tears, not blood, were shed.
When they get back home to Blighty I'm sure the present day Pickets, our successors, will greatly appreciate the beer, but most of all the recognition that it represents of what they have been through.
Thanks to all who are contributing.

Hachet Harry
1st Sep 2007, 07:40
Excellent idea and........................

Bump!

Green Flash
1st Sep 2007, 10:51
The photo of the Anglian on the Red Rat site.

I think it should be sent to everyone in any position of responsibility in this country. His face says it all. Just look at at for a few seconds. His expression just about sums up this whole sorry affair. Hope he and all the rest of the Angles get back safe. Heads down, lads. Chins up.

Maple 01
1st Sep 2007, 11:43
Bit of a problem, felt vaguely guilty for not buying a slab, so went back (to make sure I wasn't 'slabbed for meanness) only to find Pay Pal wouldn't let me play :\

Master Mariner
1st Sep 2007, 12:20
Just bought some beers for the lads and you can pay using credit card - no probs...

Would be good to see more firms running similar schemes

MM

anotherthing
2nd Sep 2007, 10:04
24 bought, and back to the top. A great idea, would be nice to see other firms, both local and national, jumping on the bandwagon and showing appreciation of the effort of our Forces in all theatres, but especially in the hell-holes that are Afghanistan and Iraq at the moment.

However, some firms no doubt would be worried about reprisals/boycotting from the minorty of idiots in this country who decry the efforts.

Well done to Red Rat Craft Brewery!!

Maple 01
4th Sep 2007, 16:40
Shamelessly stolen off ArRSE

As a Royal Anglian Mum I have a vested interest and so I wrote to the brewery to find out how many beers have so far been sold, and how much money had been raised for the Memorial Fund. This is what I got:

"We have sold about 500 bottles so far, so almost enough to ensure each member of the battalion including rear party get a beer, and £250 for the memorial fund. We are posting some of the messages of support on our web site and the Bn are putting some on part one orders. There are some really nice messages which show how much people all over the world appreciate the Vikings. Also loads from RAF guys. On Thursday Look East are coming to film a news article about the campaign and memorial fund so we are anticipating a few orders that night. For your information it was when I was reading all of the posted comments on Teddy's page (Daily Telegraph) that I noticed comments about buying him a beer.
The rest is history. Be proud and I look forward to getting them all home soon.
Many thanks and warmest regards
Kevin"

ZOFO
4th Sep 2007, 21:19
Beer's are in guys

and up we go

Maple 01
17th Oct 2007, 06:20
The Vikings are having a parade in Norwich shortly, it would be nice if East Anglian PPRuNers could pitch up (I'll dig out the date from the EDP later)

Maple 01
22nd Oct 2007, 08:01
From one of the local rags

Troops from the regiment's 1st battalion will exercise the Freedom of the City by marching through Norwich on November 22 in what will be a poignant homecoming parade.

The battalion - nicknamed The Vikings - had nine soldiers killed and scores injured during the fighting.

The Duke of Gloucester, who is Colonel in Chief of the regiment, will be among those in attendance for the march, which will welcome soldiers back from their tour of Helmand Province and recognise the regiment's links with Norwich and the region.

The Royal Anglians will march with the regiment band, colours flying and bayonets fixed from City Hall, watched by The Duke, the Lord-Lieutenant of Norfolk Richard Jewson, Lieutenant General John McColl, and the Lord Mayor of Norwich Cllr Roy Blower.

Members of the public are being urged to turnout in force for the event and gather outside City Hall for the parade which begins at 2.20pm. It will follow a route along Gaol Hill, London Street, Queen Street, Tombland and The Close.

A service of thanksgiving and remembrance will follow at Norwich Cathedral at 3.30pm and the Lord Mayor will host a private reception at Blackfriars Hall.

Vortex_Generator
28th Oct 2007, 08:52
http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10272~1152817,00.html
Well done Ipswich Town FC.

Aspen20
28th Oct 2007, 09:08
where does this expression come from. when I was in the military we refered to the infantry as pongo.