PDA

View Full Version : No mil discount at Duxford

abbotyobs
30th Aug 2007, 12:47
Duxford is an excellent place to go, and an a very enjoyable day out, but on a recent visit I discovered that they do not give any mil discount for serving members of HM Forces.
I find this hard to believe since the museum would not be there in the first place if it had not been for us and our ancestors.

I do not mind paying a fair fee for a good day out, but how about rewarding our HM forces with a small concession.

I am sure there are lots of other military type museums that should give discounts but do not.
In the US they all give a discount, no suprises!

Runaway Gun
30th Aug 2007, 13:30
In the USA the mere mention of being active military makes discounts jump out at you. Rental car companies and Hotels are two that spring to mind.

Try that in the UK (as a British serviceman) and you will be met with a blank stare.

FantomZorbin
30th Aug 2007, 14:58
RG

Mentioned it when hiring a vehicle in the UK and the price jumps, if you're lucky, otherwise told to s#d off ... "insurance you understand" :mad:

Easier to just say 'MOD employee' :*

PS Was successful at another firm just down the road so it must have been a local thing with the companies I tried.

EyesFront
30th Aug 2007, 15:06
Military ID works in outdoor shops though ... the same as MLTB, BCU, YHA, BMC, climbing club membership cards. It's a pity I can't aggregate them...

Flashing my RAF ID got me 10% off a new Sea Kayak a few months ago...

stickmonkeytamer
30th Aug 2007, 15:56
A few years ago I was the ProjO for a visit of some USAF 2/ 3 Stars visiting the UK. They (accompanied by some UK 2/ 3 Stars wanted to go and visit Duxford. One of the USAF guys had actually flown one of the actual aircraft on exhibit and Duxford wanted to take some publicity photos for their own use, but no discount was allowed... Disgusting. :ugh:

Should we all hide in shame, embarassed of what we do as no-one appreciates what we do?? Very disappointing...

SMT

brickhistory
30th Aug 2007, 16:06
Can you repossess the military hardware in the museum?

"Yes, I know we told you could have it, but we changed our minds......"

helidriver
30th Aug 2007, 16:53
I got mil discount for entry into 2 nightclubs whilst on the ming last Fri! The first time I asked it was for a joke, the second I thought I'd chance my arm. Saved 2 quid on both occasions.:ok:

Runaway Gun
30th Aug 2007, 17:59
I've seen nightclubs give discounts to foreign visiting military, yet refuse to do the same for their own boys....

Vortex_Generator
30th Aug 2007, 18:10
I've recently returned from a trip to the States and whilst there flashed the old 1250 frequently. Average discount is around 20% but I have had as much as 50%, on anything from food to fairground rides.

Roadster280
30th Aug 2007, 18:28
"Yes, I know we told you could have it, but we changed our minds......"

Well we did that with Palestine, and look where that has got us....

In any case, it may be a tad difficult to get the B52 out of there.

x10ge
30th Aug 2007, 21:11
From the information on the Imperial War Museum websites the one in London is Free, the one in Manchester is Free but Duxford isnt. No logic in that but worth every penny anyway. And yes I wish I still had a 1250 it was worth a few bob.

Corrona
30th Aug 2007, 21:24
Despite being one of HM's RAF blokes, I'm from farming stock so was brought up to haggle for a bit of discount, and quite honestly if you think that to get get your discount you should just show your ID card all you deserve is 10%. If I can't get at least 15% just on whit alone then I give my self a good talking to.

Just tell the vendor what your prepared to pay for whatever it is, you'll surprised where it works.

Runaway Gun
30th Aug 2007, 21:35
Good in theory, but I can't see haggling going down well in Airlines, Hotels, Car Hire and Petrol Stations... unless your sidearm is visible :eek:

aluminium persuader
30th Aug 2007, 22:10
You'd be surprised - flashed the ID in the States (few years ago, mind) & got ID90 on TWA (ie 90% discount).
:ok:

Fareastdriver
31st Aug 2007, 06:34
Probably why TWA went broke.

The Swinging Monkey
31st Aug 2007, 07:03
It pretty much sums up the way our armed forces people are treated and regarded in this country.

As Runaway Gun says, mention it in the US and you immediately get treated like a God, mention it in the UK and you are treated as a third class citizen, infact you will be treated lower than some refugee or illegal immigrant.

Shameful and disgusting.

As for Duxford, it just ranks with the huge amount of other 'attractions' under the heading of 'Rip-Off places to visit in the UK'

Back to bed I think.

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 07:31
I might be going against the grain here, but here goes.

I go to Duxford perhaps twice a year. I don't mind paying a little extra than I might otherwise be able to get away with, because I know it goes towards the upkeep of the fine aircraft and our heritage. If we aren't prepared to shell out to do that folks, then who is?

The idea of a Forces Discount card is a red herring. If you're obsessed with getting a discount though, phone Duxford beforehand and ask to speak with the duty manager. Explain that you're considering arriving with a party of 12 people (don't mention the fact that you're ex servicemen) and its your first visit there. Tell them that you'd expect to be spending £15 each in the food areas and another £15 in the shop. If the trip goes well, you'll be bringing more people too. Explain that you're as inclined to visit in winter as you are in summer. Imply dissability in the party, by asking about wheelchair access, they will have targets to meet and they'll love nothing more than mitigating the cost of their big doors and wheelchair ramps.

Explain though, that you're travelling 75 miles to get there and the fuel bill is horrendous. With that in mind, would they extend to you, a small discount or a special rate in order to make the trip viable? It'll take him/her ohh, at least 3 nanosecends for the idea of an otherwise lost £500 in the till to get a little flexible. Ask for 50% and then be absolutely quiet, don't say a word!! Let him say something. Be ruthless.

Same with anything, get the pitch right and you're laughing. I get my nice clothes from a few places and I always tell the manager (nicely) that I have say, £200 to spend, but I need say, £300 worth of clothes.. so it can be in their till or a competitors. I sell stuff that gives me margins of 80% or so. If someone came up to me with the right attitude, I'd gladly offer then 25% or so. Heck, I'd even go to 35 if the order was right and they got me on a Friday afternoon.

Luckily, they don't. :ok:

Of course, if anyone from Duxford is reading this, you're possibly buggered.

BEagle
31st Aug 2007, 07:59
This infernal souk-haggling gets right up my beak.

"I want to buy £300 worth of clothes for £200?"

"Certainly, sir. Come back with the other £100 and then you can collect them!"

The problem with the greedy few who insist on arguing the price of everything is that the vendors get fed up and just hike the prices accordingly. So if something costs £X but, being a chiselling git, you say you only want to pay £0.75X, then guess what - the next time you'll find that £Y is now £1.3Y, so when you say you'll only pay 0.7 x (£1.3Y), you'll end up paying what it would have been in the first place.

Except that a few, more honest, folk will have had to stump up £1.3Y thanks to the 'gimme dizzie' tight wads.

As for farming stock - since when did any farmer pay any bill on time?

If I was selling something to a farmer, I'd offer 15% off for 'prompt payment' - i.e., within 7 days. Wouldn't cost me anything - the price would already have been marked up by 17.6%, as .85 x 1.176 = 1.00, and most farmers would have a coronary at the thought of paying any bill within 7 days!

But Military Discount is another issue and a way for companies and organisations to show support for the UK's overworked, overstretched Armed Forces. It should certainly be as widespread and generous as it is in the USA.

However, a party of 12 people driving 75 miles there and back to Duxford? In a diesel minibus at 25 mpg, that'd be 6 gallons. Or 27-ish litres. So about £2.20 per head. Hardly 'horrendous'..... You'd need to find a better lie to be convincing.

abeaumont
31st Aug 2007, 08:32
I went to Duxford yesterday, taking my engineering undergraduate son and a friend of his (another engineering undergrad) with me. A great day out, topped by a magnificent aerobatic display by some kind soul in a Spitfire.

I paid full price to get in. The students got in at half price on production of their students union cards.

What does that say about their attitude to a 1250/MOD90 versus a student union card?

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 08:43
Hang on Beagle, are you saying its not ok for an idividual to ask for discount face to face, but it is.. if you've got a golden ticket? Or is that one step above souk haggling because there's a plakky card involved? Quite how that difference to the trader's bottom line would would prevent the scenario you suggest isn't clear..

With regards to your scenario, in a market economy, it just doesn't work like that anyway. There is no way on this planet that a retailer is going to put his prices up on the off chance that he'll be outhaggled by the few, because he knows that the competition is going to simply say 'Aha! He's more expensive than I am.. you can either try and batter him down to my realistic prices or you can trade with me, someone who is honest and gives you a fair price from the outset.'.

Legislation now allows you to add interest for late payers anyway.

I'm sorry. It has nothing to do with appreciation of the military or loyalty nowadays. Organisations and companies would offer Osama himself 25% discount if he pitched them enough card carrying Al-Qaeda members wanting to buy their goods. Its all about money money money, which, lets face it, is behind our calls for your discount anyway.

Another way of doing things is for the website here deciding to offer added value to its subscribers and customers (us). It could work out an idea of how many members would be willing to visit twice a year at say, £x. Then, is should approach Duxford with the data/carrot and ask for a Prune booking reference which it could PM to members wanting to book online (Duxford will want that). And because its creating a new reveue stream for Duxford, it should get a kickback from revenue raised, perhaps to improve services here (not that they're bad, but you get the idea) so we all win out. Together, all consumers are greater than the sum of ther parts. I hope to god they don't all realise that. :}

LHtoLT
31st Aug 2007, 09:09
Sadly its the same on HMS BELFAST in london i had to pay full price to get on there! not good considering BELFAST has the privilage of still calling herself "HMS"

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 09:28
I went to Duxford yesterday, taking my engineering undergraduate son and a friend of his (another engineering undergrad) with me. A great day out, topped by a magnificent aerobatic display by some kind soul in a Spitfire.

I paid full price to get in. The students got in at half price on production of their students union cards.

What does that say about their attitude to a 1250/MOD90 versus a student union card?

It sadly confirms the point I made and is why you shouldn't mention your service connection. They'll know you're old, will want to go anyway and have less disposable income. In purely business terms, why should they discount a willing and reliable niche sector?

Students have more of it for recreation than most of us, they can be hooked for life and (in terms of demographic at least) are harder to target and pin down. So they need to be incentivised.

Its cruel but there it is.

airborne_artist
31st Aug 2007, 09:44
they can be hooked for life and (in terms of demographic at least) are harder to target and pin down. So they need to be incentivised

The same reason as the banks are queuing up to give students preferential rates and freebies for opening a current account with their student loan cheque around now.

pr00ne
31st Aug 2007, 09:57
Er, what on earth makes you think you deserve discount just because you are in the forces?

airborne_artist,

No longer the case with the banks as Barclays just proved. Now that so many folk go to Uni they are no longer earning any more on graduation than the rest of the population so the banks etc are far less interested.

L-H
31st Aug 2007, 10:11
Students have more of it for recreation than most of us, they can be hooked for life and (in terms of demographic at least) are harder to target and pin down. So they need to be incentivised.

Sorry not convinced with that argument. I contacted the IWM at Duxford to see what discounts they would offer my not unsubstantial party of ATC cadets on a normal non airshow day. Square route of bu££er all I'm afraid!

Their loss in the end as we'll go to Hendon instead 'cos it's free!

doubledolphins
31st Aug 2007, 10:23
Last time I visited BELFAST I was alowed on board free of charge. If they are now chargeing may I suggest that some one (an officer) gets down to her sharpish and carries out his/her duties, as set out in QRRN, and removes the illegaly flown White Ensign. Should concentrate the minds of the Shallow Ones who changed the rules.
The IWM North in Manchester is free to all.:ok:

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 10:36
AA makes a good point. But with age discrimination legislation looming in everyone's HUD, banks will be far cleverer about hiding the fact. They can make decisions based on what's good for business, but age isn't to be a factor. Its a little like being able to protest about travellers having camps next door to you because of their impact on the daisies, but not on your garden.

moggiee
31st Aug 2007, 10:37
I find it remarkable in the era of "free" museums that you should have to pay to get into Duxford in the first place.

Quite simply, I refuse to pay the rather expensive entry fee to get into Duxford, so they lose out on my business completely. £14.95 for adult entry is shocking.

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00d002

I take my "business" to Cosford or Hendon and then have some money to spend in the shops etc.

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 10:44
Sorry not convinced with that argument. I contacted the IWM at Duxford to see what discounts they would offer my not unsubstantial party of ATC cadets on a normal non airshow day. Square route of bu££er all I'm afraid!

Their loss in the end as we'll go to Hendon instead 'cos it's free!

Which proves my point.. ATC membership starts at 13? Free entry stops at 12. They know you'll want to pay. Tell them instead you are looking after the children of 20 illegal immigrants. No probs.:ok:

moggiee
31st Aug 2007, 10:45
According to the link I posted above, Duxford is free to under 16s.

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 10:48
I find it remarkable in the era of "free" museums that you should have to pay to get into Duxford in the first place.

That I do agree with. All museums should be gratis. Especially as the tax payer paid for the TR1 at Duxford in the first place.

Al R
31st Aug 2007, 10:51
Mogglee,

I stand corrected. The page is confusing as hell. Other freebies include;

"All children up to and including age 15 years. (Children under 11 years must be accompanied by an adult.)"

If schools can get in free up to the gae of 18, perhaps there's a route for an ATC trip being approved by a LEA as an educational trip. It seems mad for Space Cadets paying to be educated, but not schoolkids who wouldn't care a smuch anyway. But thats busines smaybe..

DarkBlueLoggie
31st Aug 2007, 11:31
Re BELFAST, last time I checked (in May) there is a service discount, but it isn't free. It's not a commissioned warship and not owned by MoD - it only flies the White Ensign with special permission as the White Ensign Association are aboard. The VICTORY, on the other hand, is free as she remains a commissioned warship.

Surprising what discounts you can get in the UK if you just ask. Always use Moto service stations as food etc gets a hefty discount (employee rate usually). Most of the cinema chains give you student rate - much of it isn't in the MoD Discount Booklet.

Was in NZ in June and on the off chance asked at the cinema (with a UK ID card) - half price for me and one other! Not something I expected over there.

6f1
31st Aug 2007, 11:34
What do you expect when we have a goverment consisting of failed communists,and cowards!

'Chuffer' Dandridge
31st Aug 2007, 20:53
I suspect I'l get flamed for this but:

Why should 'the military' get a discount when other worthwhile occupations get **** all? Nurses, school teachers,firemen etc...

I admit Duxford ain't cheap (2 mediocre sandwiches and 2 bottles of orange juice £11.00!!) but you wouldn't go to a car dealers and expect to get a new car for 75% of the asking price. Smacks of the chancers who always expect an upgrade at the check-in desk.....:rolleyes:

I'll get me coat.......

Tempsford
31st Aug 2007, 23:10
Unfortunately, whilst many of us have the greatest of respect for service personnel both past and present, our country has a mind set and culture that makes many of our population oblivious. Pensions, or the lack of them are just one example. It will only serve to frustrate the heck out of UK service personnel if they do try and compare what other countries such as the US do including concessions in many forms (Car Hire, entrances to attractions, hotac, Restaurants etc etc). There also appears to be a level of respect and appreciation (sometimes OTT I will admit) from the American people that is not so apparent in the UK. A shame really, but it is time that this mindset is changed. It's bad enough putting up with the cr*p when overseas, you don't need it when you get back here. I for one support the idea of service personnel having concessions for them and their families and am prepared to pay extra for them to do so if required.

gets off soap box and bu**ers off smartish

moggiee
31st Aug 2007, 23:22
.....but you wouldn't go to a car dealers and expect to get a new car for 75% of the asking price. ....
Well, in fact you would (OK - 85%). It's called haggling.

However, if the entry to Duxford was a sensible price in the first place then we would be less likely to make a fuss about it.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
1st Sep 2007, 08:35
Well, in fact you would (OK - 85%). It's called haggling.

Well no it's not. Don't you think the wily car salesman is only bringing the price down to what they can afford without losing their share? Have you ever known anyone who sells at a price where they are losing money? No, didn't think so.

Same goes for places like Duxford. They probably could afford to give you military chaps a discount, but why should they - they dont need hordes of military to bump the numbers up when Joe public turn up and accept the cost. If they dont like it, they dont go again, and Duxford eventually loses out.

tmmorris
1st Sep 2007, 10:41
On CCF summer camp this year we were 'lucky' enough to have our trip to Duxford scheduled for the day of the 'Flying legends' airshow.

I was told that cadet groups would normally be free (on the schools/under 18 deal?) but that as it was the airshow there would be no discount whatever. We could have got them in cheaper if we'd booked months in advance and agreed to do carpark duty for half the day.

So... we ended up paying full price, which hiked up the price of the camp spectacularly. Our cadets could afford it - ATC probably wouldn't be so lucky. We went in civvies - why give them the (dubious) pleasure of uniformed cadets when they wouldn't give a discount?

Tim

The Swinging Monkey
1st Sep 2007, 13:09
'Chuffer' Dandridge'

Sir, I must correct you on your comment.....Why should 'the military' get a discount when other worthwhile occupations get **** all? Nurses, school teachers,firemen etc...

The fact is that many of these proffessions DO get a discount. My neigbour is a fireman and regularly gets a significant discount on a whole host of things, simply by showing his 'firemans' card. The same goes for another guy I know who is a copper. (Don't know about teachers, but I think nurses get discount also on things) These people are held in high esteem and regard in this country and rightly so. Unfortunately, our Service men and women, are regarded as little better than illegal immigrants and refugees by many, and I would suggest you take a look at what is acceptable housing for service families and what is acceptable for illegal immigrants!!

I am ashamed at the way our Forces are now treated and regarded in this country, especially by this government, and would promote anything that reversed that view.

TSM

Phil_R
1st Sep 2007, 13:47
Teachers are part of a "key worker" scheme which affords them some degree of assistance with buying a home.

Personally I reject all of this as positive discrimination. It's not as if I can say, oh, I'm a TV cameraman, I can do without a house!

Phil

moggiee
1st Sep 2007, 20:49
Well no it's not. Don't you think the wily car salesman is only bringing the price down to what they can afford without losing their share? Have you ever known anyone who sells at a price where they are losing money? No, didn't think so.
Of course he doesn't normally sell at a loss! That's why he starts at a ridiculously inflated list price. You then haggle down as far as either a) you can be bothered or b) as far as he dare go. On the odd occasion where someone can't be bothered then he's laughing all the way to his commission cheque.

(Actually a car salesman may sell a car at a loss if the registration bonus from the manufacturer or the commission on the loan more than makes up for it.)

That's the way sales negotiations work and it's the way military discounts, mates discounts, loyalty discounts etc work, too. Start high and knock a bit off so that people think they're getting a good deal.

Of course, every now and then you get the Life of Brian scenario - "'ere, this bloke won't 'aggle".

Seaking93
1st Sep 2007, 20:51
Don't know much about Duxford but here in sunny Somerset,

Fleet Air Arm Museum
Service person half price on production of ID card, can take in up to 4 adults at half price, also up to 4 children under 16 free.:)

Jimlad1
2nd Sep 2007, 08:46
I went to the Camoflague exhibition at the IWM recently - was told that with Mil ID I wouldnt get free admission to it, but if I was in the institute of fashion design then I would? (something to do with who sponsored it)