PDA

View Full Version : Harrier jump jet in a field in Berks?

manfromuncle
30th Aug 2007, 06:56
Not rotorheads related, but as we fly lower than everyone else.

I was flying east of Henley the other day and noticed, what looked like, a Harrier jet in a field, there was also a control tower-type building. There was nothing else in the field at all, no grass strip, no other buildings. It didn't look like an airfield. Maybe some art display?

Has anyone else seen this? What is it? I tried finding it on google earth, but can find it. It was about 2-3 miles east/south east of Henley.

VeeAny
30th Aug 2007, 07:51
I think what you were looking at is Harpsden Park, marked on 1:250,000 chart just South of Henley On Thames, or the field next to it.

Saw it on Tuesday on the way into Denham.

V.

manfromuncle
30th Aug 2007, 08:20
I found the field I am refering to, on google earth. The co-ords are:

51 31' 20.68"N 0 53' 03.68"W

Copy and paste them in google earth, it should work.

I don't think it's Harspden Park, that is a little west of the field I am referring to.

I can see the 'control tower' building on google earth, but no aircraft.

Does anyone know if it's a real Harrier, or a model?

Just curious.

Bravo73
30th Aug 2007, 10:00
Try have a search on the spotter's forum.

The Harrier was spotted by one of the plank lot on approach to Heathrow recently and we managed to sort out where and what it was. If memory serves correct, it is a Sea Harrier which was bought by a wealthy individual - but I don't think that it has an engine any more.

HTH.

manfromuncle
30th Aug 2007, 10:05
mystery solved!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279479&highlight=harrier

ppheli
30th Aug 2007, 13:33
If it's not the actual grounds of Harpsden Park, it certainly sounds like the same polo-playing owner. And just to bring it back to a true helicopter thread, it should be the same guy who has an S76 at Denham and a Gulfstream to ply back/forth between Farnborough and Switzerland.... Try ZD582 for the Harrier's serial...

verticalhold
30th Aug 2007, 13:42
Sorry to disappoint you all. The harrier is in it's current position as a charity prize and will be there for the next four months when it will move back to it's normal roost with it's owner.

It is complete apart from some avionics and is a much loved part of a private collection.

VH

Whirlygig
30th Aug 2007, 13:46
What on earth was the prize? Win this raffle ticket and you, too, could have a Harrier in your back garden? Be the envy of all your neighbours?

Cheers

Whirls

rotorboater
30th Aug 2007, 13:49
Is this the one owned by a certain EC120 owner? I was under the impression that it was fully complete and capable of flying - not in this country though wrong sort of air

verticalhold
30th Aug 2007, 14:13
rotorboater;

He owns considerably larger machinery than the 120. It could be flyable with not much effort, sadly the feds have said no in terms which brook no mis-interpretation.:ugh::ugh:

Whirls, buy a ticket next time and you could have me in your garden (sitting on a toadstool with a fishing rod in my hand.")

VH

Whirlygig
30th Aug 2007, 14:32
And I can't even begin to see which charity THAT would be for! :E

Cheers

Whirls

rotorboater
30th Aug 2007, 14:59
Interesting then that there are 2 heli owners with airworthy (but not allowed to be) harriers in the UK - I saw the photos of the other one ( a sea harrier I think) after its rebuild at the owners house recently, its immaculate but it is annoying that it can't be flown.

verticalhold
30th Aug 2007, 15:06
rotorboater;

I have a share in a JP4, the bills aren't small, but the smile factor while flying is huge. The bills for a harrier would be earth shattering (I did the research, it was a question the feds asked) The level of experience we have to provide both for the feds and our insurers on the JP are quite large, the requirements for the harrier were the stuff of NASA selection!

Thats why I only do 20 hours PA in the JP as opposed to 150 in my YAK 52.

VH

manfromuncle
30th Aug 2007, 15:06
Have you seen the amount of CAA/EASA paperwork needed just to get a Cessna 152/R22 in the air?

A sea harrier!?

I can imagine all the desk wallers at the CAA getting in a frenzy just at the thought of it!

verticalhold
30th Aug 2007, 15:09
Manfromuncle;

My first call to the Belgrano was at 09:30 on a monday. It was the first time I had ever heard a coffe/keyboard interface moment straight into my left ear.:E

VH