PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers for Prison Officer Duties?

Fast but Safe
29th Aug 2007, 11:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6968105.stm

Well...... It's only a matter of time isn't it!

FbS

jayteeto
29th Aug 2007, 12:11
Don't joke, we are on duty today in Liverpool. Walton Prison has the largest population in europe, over 1600 'customers' :mad:. Anyone on a day off is being called in to work the prisons. Seeing as most of the force have been on extra duties due to the recent shooting in Croxteth, the overtime bill will be obscene. Lots of frayed tempers by very tired people today :ouch:

teeteringhead
29th Aug 2007, 13:21
Come off it Jayteeto, yer not reely a proper copper are you.....:ok:

And of course prisons are one of the few places (workplaces!!) where smoking is still allowed - even tobacco in some prisons I understand ;) So much for the health of the workforce, doesn't matter if you're a screw then???

And where else can you smoke in the workplace ....??

Oh yes - the Houses of Parliament!!!! So if you want a tab or a King Eddy with your pint after "work" - just get yerself elected .... don't do as I do, do as I tell yer!

Tigs2
29th Aug 2007, 14:10
BigBlue Car

I do hope that article in the Sun is not true, but sadly i feel that it is. Shocking, just shocking!

Teeteringhead. Are you serious!! Is it true that you can smoke in the Houses of Parliament?? Further, how can the Health and Safety executive now allow smoking inside the prisons??

Wyler
29th Aug 2007, 15:00
Jayteeto.

'The overtime will be obscene'

Obscene is the correct word. :mad::mad:

As for Prison Officers striking. Fine, just turn the lights off, leave the prisoners in their cells and forget about them until the situation is sorted.

jayteeto
29th Aug 2007, 15:36
Proper copper!! I'm not an anything copper, but I am on shift with a bunch of them. Some visitors today have already passed 80 hours in the last week and have been told they will be kept on all night (finish at 5 normally) on time and a half. No choice, they ARE staying on.....
Back to military thread, don't worry, you will not be dinged for this duty. Who would do it???

TMJ
29th Aug 2007, 15:59
Proper copper!! I'm not an anything copper, but I am on shift with a bunch of them. Some visitors today have already passed 80 hours in the last week and have been told they will be kept on all night (finish at 5 normally) on time and a half. No choice, they ARE staying on.....
Back to military thread, don't worry, you will not be dinged for this duty. Who would do it???

Indeed; a senior chap from the Prison service interviewed on Radio 4 this afternoon was asked about contingency plans for this sort of scenario and said that there were plans which used to include the military but that the Serivces were obviously too busy. When pressed by the interviewer whether they'd asked if the ilitaary was to busy, he replied to the effect, "No, they told us... some time ago." I think it was on The World at One: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/wato/ram/wato_20070829.ram

teeteringhead
29th Aug 2007, 19:52
Tigs2

'fraid it is true mon brave!

You'll get details if you Google something like "smoking ban exemptions"

The prisons bit also includes "residential mental facilities" and "care homes" - where "residents" (ie, cons, nutters and coffin dodgers) who are "resident" (ie banged up, mad or old) for more than 6 months. Oh, and the exemptions only apply to the "residents" - so the cons can smoke but the screws can't!!!

Turning to the Hs of P, the legislation doesn't apply (neither do licensing laws!) as it is technically a Royal Palace. The Government has said the ban will apply "voluntarily" - and who would doubt an MP's word? - but as the law doesn't apply, I guess you couldn't be fined for non-compliance. But then the member for Grimethorpe North (sponsored by the Union of Oxygen Thieves, with Labour majority of squillions for 30 years) will probably not give a stuff and light his roll-ups (or more likely double coronas) anyway....

......cynical? moi???