PDA

View Full Version : Return of Service for A Bursary

MightyGem
28th Aug 2007, 17:04
The nephew of of a friend has been told that he would have to sign on for 22 years if given a bursary for university. Obviously that's incorrect, but I don't know the correct answer, so the correct one would help please.

He's only 15, so it's early days yet, but he's keen to fly fast jets(taking flying lessons already!), but the prospect of having to commit to 22 years is putting him off. I suspect someone at his Air Cadet unit has given him the duff info.

green granite
28th Aug 2007, 17:25
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/istherafforme/university.cfm

airborne_artist
28th Aug 2007, 17:29
From http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/istherafforme/university.cfm

"If you want to be an RAF officer, you could be eligible for up to £4,000 a year towards your undergraduate education. This is a grant not a loan – you won’t have to pay the money back – but in return we will expect you to join the RAF after you graduate. In most cases, this will be for a minimum of six years."

GG was quicker on the keys....

Cattivo
28th Aug 2007, 17:59
Haven't gone to the links but in laymen's terms he will be given a provisional place on IOT but this is not guaranteed (his performance at his UAS will need to be satisfactory and he will have to pass a fitness test twice (now) a year. If he decides that the RAF is not for him he can refuse the place but he DOES (as far as I'm aware) have to pay back the bursary cash. Seems like a pretty good way to do university if you ask me (with automatic membership of the appropriate UAS which a lot of students would kill for!!).

MightyGem
28th Aug 2007, 18:44
Thanks. Six years did ring a bell, but I just wanted to make sure. I see from the website that the "usual service" for pilots is 12 years. I take it that's the minimum?

buoy15
29th Aug 2007, 01:41
MG
You will be commissioned as a GD Officer, not a pilot
Unless you are really lucky, you will not fly for the whole 12 years
Once you're in - you're in!
6 years as OC Bicycle Store at Saxa Vord did ring a bell though:ok:

Cattivo
29th Aug 2007, 21:14
Unless the rules have changed, you can opt for a short service commission 12 yrs (with an option after 8, these are the aircrew periods). The six years refers to a return of service post OCU, BUT they have recently changed this to invoke the 6 years even if you fail the OCU. I don't agree with buoy15's idea that you won't fly for all 12/16 years, I have and so have almost all my mates. If you want to stay flying (esp these days) you will.