PDA

View Full Version : 777 No Winglets

Macgyver
28th Aug 2007, 15:31
A common interview question with CX is asking why the 777 does not have winglets. I was doing some reading on this, and for the most part all I can find is that the 777 wing is simply more efficient and does not need winglets; however, I can't seem to find a good explanation as to what makes the wing more efficient. Again, some sources say its because the 777 has a supercritical airfoil, but I've read elsewhere that most jets have supercritical airfoils these days, yet many a/c still have winglets.

Can someone please shed some light? Thanks.

tbaylx
28th Aug 2007, 16:12
As i understand it they engineered the raked wing tip (basically an squarish tip that angles back slightly) that does the same job as the winglet but has less drag/weight/complexity. They've put them on the odd 767 as well.

Rwy in Sight
28th Aug 2007, 16:32
Does the fact they were builti with a folding capacity in mind has a role to play?

Rwy in Sight

TopBunk
28th Aug 2007, 17:19
Different response required if you want the job:}, but I'd just tell them that "the people who designed it are the aerodynamics experts, you just want me to fly it, why should I care if it is a biplane or has a tricycle undercarriage, 2, 3 or 4 hydraulics system; I'm sure they had a good reason and that because of that you, CX, decided to buy it".

I'll get me coat....