PDA

View Full Version : Sim Check

Holryn
28th Aug 2007, 11:18
Hi ,
I'm been lucky enough to get a sim check with Hubair in Belgium.
Does anyone have experience of what to expect, what they look for and generally how best to prepare.
I'm very short on time and need to use what I do have wisely. Any tips?
Thanks in advance,
H

Callsign Kilo
28th Aug 2007, 14:42
What aircraft is it on?

If it's a jet and you haven't flown one before, try and get a few hours pre-assessment time in a jet sim. Try someone like virtual aviation. If you can't do this read up on the main differences between a piston and a jet. 'Handling the Big Jets' by D.P.Davies is excellent.

If you have Flight Sim for the PC, try and get the add-on for the aircraft you will do your sim check on. It will help familiarise where everything is.

Brush up on your CRM. Look through your MCC notes. Try and get your hands on an ITVV 'from the flightdeck' dvd and look out for the kind of calls they are making.

Try and speak to someone who has experience of flying the aircraft that you will be assessed on. Ask for pitch and power settings and try to get these into your head.

Above all, try to take it in your stride. You have done well to get to this stage.

Goodluck CK :ok:

Brie
28th Aug 2007, 15:05
...and make sure you have a quick scan.

good luck

Holryn
28th Aug 2007, 15:43
Cheers guys,
The check is on a B200 sim. Not something I've flown before.
Trouble is I'm quite rusty - my IR revalidation is booked for the middle of September and what do you know I get invited for a sim check 3 weeks before! Talk about timing.:{
I've managed to do some brush up on MSFS but don't have time to get to a proper sim. And I have been watching those DVDs.
So fingers crossed all will go well.
Thanks again and if anyone else feels they can contribute It wold be much appreciated.:ok:
H

johnnyDB
29th Aug 2007, 09:11
It'll be on a B200 'FNPTII', you can find a short film about it on their website hubair.be under video presentation->MCC

rgds

redout
29th Aug 2007, 12:05
Hey Holryn,
There is a school in Madrid which have a B200 FNPT2 sim. The address is http://www.aeromadrid.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=26&bid=28&btitle=Grupo%20AeroMadrid&meid=30 .They teach in both English and Spanish, could be worth going there for a couple of hours.

Gullyone
29th Aug 2007, 14:24
Hear is another one. OAT has an FNPT2 Beech sim. A little closer.

redout
29th Aug 2007, 18:48
Gullyone,

From my recollection the OAT Beech was setup for use as a Seneca.

potkettleblack
29th Aug 2007, 20:11
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/bssm/aviation/courses/prof/ir.cfm

Gullyone
30th Aug 2007, 04:56
The OAT sim can be set up to both types.

Always Moving
30th Aug 2007, 09:11
Do Nothing!

A Sim ride is to observe the overall skills.
If you are rusty on IFR....hmmm may be play some with the Microsoft FS!

They are not looking for you to know how to fly that specific plane.

Good luck

Parkbremse
30th Aug 2007, 10:26
There's nothing wrong with a good preparation... If you haven't flown the type before (especially if you are a rookie), i recommend booking a 1-2 sim hours to get used to the aircraft, i.e. practice configuration changes, speeding up and slowing down, airwork... and thereafter a few non-precision approaches. Maybe even an Engine Failure (don't say that you won't have an e/f during a sim check as a rookie... i had it) You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly and therefore have a lot more mental capacity during the actual sim check.

A good preparation might save your neck if things get a little more challenging during the sim check... and a B200 Sim hour is really not that expensive (at my school 180€ for B200 FNPTII, i don't think it'll be a lot more expensive at other schools)

Good Luck!

potkettleblack
30th Aug 2007, 11:02
Agreed - do nothing at your own peril. Almost everyone I came across during the job hunting process had invested the time in a few hours in a full motion sim. Even better if you do your MCC in something akin to what you are likely to get for a sim ride. The peeps that had done a few hours previously were over the "wow factor" and straight into the T scan and more focussed on flying the detail and not being phased out.

Callsign Kilo
30th Aug 2007, 12:24
Can't agree more. Do nothing and face the consequences. Jumping from your IR training, flying about in a Seneca and going into a full motion sim like a 737 or an A320 is a daunting experience. Even something like a B200 will leave you behind, especially if you are not in regular IF practice.

Always Moving
31st Aug 2007, 00:55
So sure if you have all the money in the world go and get some hours in a sim, hey if you want to be really ready... get yourself a TR in that plane that will help too.

Again they are looking of how you manage the plane overall and if they put you in a 737 is because they do not have anything cheaper or smaller, I am assuming you are not typed, if you are and they are offering you a PIC position that is a different ball game they will be looking at what you are doing as if you were flying the line tomorrow.