PDA

View Full Version : Air Baltic safe?

keltic
27th Aug 2007, 18:55
I am not a pilot but a spotter and a paranoid flier. So I hope you donīt mind my silly passenger question. I hate flying. My office booked me a SAS ticket for next week.

Aparently I was flying SAS from Turku to Riga and implies a connection at CPH. Second lap says "operated by Air Baltic". I have to say that I donīt have any real reference of the airline. Flying middle age B737-500, 47% from SAS, but I wonder howīs the pilot training and maintenance. The obvious thing, is that SAS manage the procedures, so itīs reliable.

All airlines are obviously safe, and as far as know, they operate under the JAROPS. But I wonder if the standards are reasonable good. Please understand that we passengers, feel a bit helpless and excuse my querry. :{

TightSlot
27th Aug 2007, 19:46
I am not a pilot but a spotter and a paranoid flier. So I hope you donīt mind my silly passenger question
Welcome and... No problem - go, ahead, this is the best place to ask, and I'll bet you get a good answer from somebody who knows

Avman
27th Aug 2007, 21:47
Best answer I can give you is that although I'm not a paranoid flyer, there are certainly a number of carriers which I avoid at all costs. Air Baltic is NOT one these. This might ease your fears too:

This autumn, airBaltic passed the IOSA audit for the second time at the first attempt. Just as with the original certification – issued in 2005 – the result proves both to our passengers and to our partners in the airline and travel industries that we are a safe, reliable, high-quality airline.
The IOSA is the IATA Operational Safety Audit, organised by the International Air Transport Association as the world’s leading audit of flight-safety standards. IOSA is the world's first airline safety audit programme based on internationally harmonised standards. The programme is designed to improve the level of safety throughout the airline industry.

By 2007, all IATA Members will need to have successfully undergone the IOSA audit in order to achieve or maintain IATA Membership.

It doesn't make them a guaranteed 100% safe - but nor is British Airways!

keltic
28th Aug 2007, 08:20
Thanks a lot Avman. Sounds really conforting. Flight will be as usual really unconfortable, but I suppose under control with that information. :)

So many money invested in fear of flying courses stuff so far.

strake
28th Aug 2007, 15:21
keltic, I think Avman has probably answered your question about Air Baltic comprehensively enough for you.
It's really horrible to have to deal with the fear of flying thing, I've seen it in a few people over the years including one chap in the States who sat next to me and squeezed my hand throughout the 1 hour flight...incredible but true!
Because of all the security restrictions and hassle the whole process is made even more difficult now.
I see you've done a few "Fear of Flying" courses which help a lot of people.
The purpose of my note (eventually) is to ask if you have ever thought of going to your local airfield and taking a private flight? You tend to get much more time with an instrutor who will walk round the aircraft explaining how everthing works and you sit up the front next to him or her so you can see and try the controls and listen to the radio communications. Obviously, a light aircraft is not the same as a 747 but the methodology is similar and you would be more involved and less rushed. If you explained your reasons, I'm sure you would find someone who would want to help you...it's not as rare a request as you might think.
Might not help you at all of course and you might be horrified at the thought but, you never know.

keltic
28th Aug 2007, 16:46
Hi Strake; Itīs a real pain indeed. Having to fly for business thereīs no way out, and itīs something that kills you mind every time you get on board. I donīt want to be long, and bore you but the first time I got in touch with a crash was in 1973 being a small kid, a plane overflew us and crashed in the Northwest of Spain, killing all onboard for fog. Since then it helps me building a frame saying "I wouldnīt have died in that crash" since I wouldnīt be on board. So I always fly airlines which I consider safe.

AA over Chicago when it lost an engine was devastating, and since then crashes like the rudder issue in Pittsburg, Lauda over Bangkok, Concorde, and UA232 has me think....it doesnīt matter what you do, where you fly you canīt be away from maintenance error, or assambling one. So all the frame collpased. A lightning strike in Venice a few years ago has made things really bad.

Itīs funny but I prefer flying on propeler planes. In fact one of my segments will be done on a SAS Dash8, and I donīt have any concern. Propellers doesnīt seem planes to me, but slow flying buses with the ability to glide, and able to fly smooth. I donīt have too many problems with CRJs, but big planes and middle ones are not good.

Dozens of people on board, long wings moving up and down, long runs for take off..funny. I have been on a sport plane. Well, it wasnīt that bad. We were told that landing in a field was possible and impacts could be survivable and thatīs a reason for feeling fine.

Thanks all, for your support. I donīt desire that fear not even to mhy worse ememy. Your whole life is controled by fear and panic. Really frustrating.

Navigator33
28th Aug 2007, 18:48
Well I can assure you. I was flying one of our Boeings into one of Europeīs finest airports today.
The controllers managed to get us high after which it took some good planning to get the damn thing down to earth. It just wouldnīt stop flying.
Nothing wrong with a nice shiny jet and itīs gliding performance compared to the good old turbo prop.
Enjoy your journey :ok:

keltic
28th Aug 2007, 22:49
Nice opinion from the cockpit, which makes me pretty confident now. Thanks a lot, Navigator. I am eager to enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, and to check if Riga Airport is indeed as stunning as someone has told me.

Lovely advise. I will try to make the experience something enjoyable.

perkin
29th Aug 2007, 10:23
Keltic, if you think big jets can't glide then you must search for the story of the Air Transat Airbus A330 (Azores Glider) which managed a considerable glide to land at the Azores after running out of fuel over the Atlantic. It landed successfully with the only injuries being sustained during the subsequent evacuation. Also search for the Gimli Glider - a similar incident involving a B767...

Navigator33
29th Aug 2007, 10:51
Keltic I hope youīre not looking for something extremely special out here.
Sure we have an old Tu-22M and a couple of rusty Migs laying around.
Thereīs also two Il-76īs on the other side of the airport but apart from that itīs just Boeing and Airbus iron on RIX.
The city... now thatīs something else. Better not bring your wife haha.
Though summer is unfortunately over thereīs plenty of stuff to do around here :ok:

keltic
29th Aug 2007, 11:11
Yes.....my girlfriend stays at home this time :)

I remember the case of the A330 in Azores. I suppose the ultralong A330 wings made things easier. They were really lucky.

Navigator33
29th Aug 2007, 18:48
It shouldnīt make a difference. Most new aircraft have very critical designed wings which have more or less the same gliding performance.
Stick to your minimum drag/best glide speed, be close enough to an airfield and any jet should be able to land safely. No matter if itīs a big old 747 or a 737.