PDA

View Full Version : B737-3 autopilot engagement

fl380
25th Aug 2007, 19:04
The B737 FCT says that the autopilot is certified for engagement above 1000` AGL after takeoff. Other regulations or airline operating directives may specify a different minimum altitude.

Ryanair instructor manual says: 5. After Take Off:

It is Ryanair policy to engage the A/P after the N1 call is made. If the PF wishes to fly the aircraft manually after N1 then this should be covered in the T/O brief. In busy TMAs, uncontrolled airspace or with wx/terrain/local traffic considerations the autopilot should be used in order to improve the situational awareness of the PF. If an automatic switch over to a departure frequency is required then no calls should be initiated to ATC until after the N1 call. Naturally you should respond to any ATC calls in good time.

So, in my present company the SOP is poor. I have done the Ryanair procedure but some pilots complained that that is not right !? They say that when the wing are clean, that is the moment of turning the autopilot on?

Is there anything else that maybe I have missed and the autopilot can not be engaged by Ryanair recommendation?

Right Way Up
25th Aug 2007, 19:21
Fl380,
Old gen 737s were a/p at 1000'agl. 737 NG (of which Ryanair have)can put in a/p straight away.

TITTYIMBOBULATOR
25th Aug 2007, 20:34
I think the NG has a limitation (or course company SOPs vary) of 400' after takeoff (think this is the boeing certification limit as opposed to company limit).

Most people hand fly for a bit after takeoff - certainly most cases well beyond flaps up - if things not to busy up to maybe 15000'.

A/P put in early with low altitude clearances after takeoff - so with the 737's piss weak A/P - we try to put it in at least 1000' before level off.

Of course with traffic, WX etc - common sense may suggest putting the autopilot in sooner rather than later.

Additionally, when we do RNP departures - we are required to put the Autopilot in (no later than) when we call for climb thrust (n1) usually this will be 1000'. Sometimes it is easier with these departures to put the A/P in at 400' - although the company has some conflicting information about that.

Anyway now that I have blabbed on about that - I see your pretty much referring to the 733 only. IN which case 1000' seems to be the min certified level.

bomarc
25th Aug 2007, 21:06
congratualtions and best wishes on the announced engagement...when will the happy couple be wed? where shall we send gifts?

Tail-take-off
25th Aug 2007, 21:15
The question was about B737-3 not NG.

The SOP when I flew the 737-3 for my company read that PNF called "Flaps up lights out" the PF called for AP 1 or 2. However the limitations stated that the minimum height for AP engagement was 1000' agl.

I had this very debate with a training captain years ago. They argued follow SOP. I argued that airmanship sometimes dictates otherwise as long as you remain within the limitations.

Of course Airmanship is a very old fashioned word these days and has been superceded by the likes of CRM, Facilitation, etc.

Right Way Up
25th Aug 2007, 21:45
The question was about B737-3 not NG
The problem is that the original thread was about the -300 but quoting the Ryanair manual. As far as I am aware Ryanair only have -800s! That is why I mentioned the -300 vs NG. Haven't flown the NG for 3 1/2 years - 400AGL now rings a bell.

alexban
26th Aug 2007, 11:36
The Boeing SOP now specifies AP engagement on take-off after VNAV or other pitch mode selection , as a standard.
So N1 , flaps up speed, flaps up, then VNAV followed by AP ON.The same on NG as on the classic.