PDA

View Full Version : Delta jet makes emergency landing in St. John's

dash88
24th Aug 2007, 23:26
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070824/delta_landing_070824/20070824?hub=Canada

Searched all over web, for more info, not even on a.net, anyone, what was cause, resolution> thx in advance..

Airbubba
25th Aug 2007, 04:03
And for the big question: was this an ETOPS divert?

RobertS975
25th Aug 2007, 13:07
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1/history/20070824/0119Z/KJFK/CYYT

Sure was a fairly dramatic turnaround... possibilities include a sick pax/crew member, a mechanical issue, or a security issue... (unruly pax or someone on the "no fly" list).

vapilot2004
25th Aug 2007, 14:36
Didn't think it was possible (4am arrival time) with a scheduled departure from JFK. :O

ex-EGLL
25th Aug 2007, 19:36
Flew through YYT yesterday afternnon and there was a Delta 767 sitting on it's own away from the terminal, and another at the gate boarding for EGKK around 1500 local.

ex-egll

bnt
25th Aug 2007, 20:30
The Globe & Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070824.wnllanding0824/BNStory/National/home) says "engine problems" - no more than that.

ff01
26th Aug 2007, 09:41
flight was mid atlantic & returned to St John's which explains the 4am arrival . said to be oil leak. DL9877 YYT-LGW picked up passengers

RobertS975
26th Aug 2007, 13:29
Just to take a devil's advocate position, by what right does DL have to transport passengers from Newfoundland to LGW even if they arrived in YYT due to a DL diversion? I assume that the stranded passengers were never processed into Canada?

A silly technical point... thankfully, countries seem to look the other way in such instances.

Sir Richard
26th Aug 2007, 20:31
Practically, it is just a continuation of the flight after a "tech stop". I don't expect any additional pax were loaded. :ugh:

Willie Everlearn
27th Aug 2007, 08:11
RobertS 975
Assuming your Devil's Advocat question is serious....
all pax processed via Revenue Canada C&E, re-processed through TSA security screening, back onto a DL aircraft for continuation of their journey.
Delta are responsible for the transport of these passengers, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with landing 'rights' or the transport of passengers.

Willie :ok:

PaperTiger
27th Aug 2007, 16:20
re-processed through TSA security screeningPedantry I know, but that would be CATSA.

RobertS975
27th Aug 2007, 17:41
Willie, it was indeed a serious question, no attempt to be funny. It is interesting to hear that these folks were actually "admitted" into Canada before being put on their next aircraft.

andy_c76
28th Aug 2007, 15:28
I was just googling around trying to see to what extent the diversion of flight DL001 from JFK to LGW had made the news around the world, and I was linked to this discussion on this board, so… I am going to provide some answers, since I happen to be one of the passengers!

First thing first, according to what we were told, a warning light turned on suggesting that an oil leak in an engine had been detected. The engine in point was therefore turned off and the crew was to turn around and fly back towards St. John’s.
Curiously enough – and I am sure some of you professionals may enlighten me on this – we were already two hours to the E of St. John’s over the Atlantic, meaning that London was about two hours and a half away, and Ireland probably even less, yet the decision went in favour of going back for about two hours.

Anyway, upon landing we remained on board for about an hour, whilst the Delta crew handled formalities which – as I understand it – came with this Delta flight not being normally expected in St. John’s. In the meantime, accommodation was sought and provided for the families with children. We - all the remaining passengers and myself - subsequently deplaned and had to undergo the usual immigration procedure – i.e. filling in the white custom form with personal data and answering the typical questions concerning the introduction of weapons, alcohol and tobacco into the Country and so on.
Our luggage remained with Delta – or possibly with Air Canada which we were told to turn to for any information – and was later on moved to the aircraft flying in from JFK in the early afternoon.
We were then free to use the airport facilities and some of us even left the airport for a couple of hours – Saint John’s airport is very nice, clean, light and comfortable, everyone working there was lovely with us, but after all spending the whole of 10 hours there would have been a tad too much…

So all in all I guess that answers some of your questions, doesn’t it?

BOAC
28th Aug 2007, 19:05
Certainly does, Andy- welcome and thanks for your information.