PDA

View Full Version : Music & memories - QRA Bruggen 1970

Lyneham Lad
24th Aug 2007, 21:24
Odd isn't it how memories can be triggered by music? There I was this evening, harmlessly browsing the web whilst listening to Classic FM, when they played Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana". I was instantly transported back to Bruggen - mid 1970 - Sunday morning on QRA - BFBS on the radio and they played this marvellous piece of music. I had not heard it before and was instantly captivated.
Similarly, my first exposure to Miles Davis was at a weekend-long party in Dusseldorf during that same tour, when 'Sketches of Spain' was played - suddenly I was on the heat-blasted plains of Spain. I'll keep quiet about what Iron Butterfly's 'Ina-Gada-Da-Vida', played at the same party. brings back.;)

edited to add:-
the quiet Sunday morning on QRA was rudely disrupted by the hooter, so I missed the climax :uhoh: As the 'special weapons' were, at the time, of the US variety (as in Yanks rather than unserviceable), my hurdling of the rope boundary around the aircraft was met by the loud clicking of pistols being cocked - our compatriots from t'other side of the pond being not amused at my antics and I had to exit stage-left, make a grovelling apology and reroute myself through the proper entrance to the QRA pan.

Romeo Oscar Golf
25th Aug 2007, 09:37
Phone rings in QRA Laarbruch 1971. Mrs Romeo whispers, "you have another son" and the radio's playing CCR's Proud Mary.
Every time I hear that song I remember that moment.... and the empty wallet which followed!;)