PDA

View Full Version : ATA luxury Tristar/s

chornedsnorkack
24th Aug 2007, 19:35
American Trans Air is said to have a Tristar or two which is fitted with all-first-class (but not VIP) interior of eightysomething seats (have seen 84 and 88 mentioned) and flown on Around the World cruises.

Can anyone give more specifics? Which Tristar model? What is the range? What exactly is the seatmap? What are their routes and schedules?

chiglet
24th Aug 2007, 20:13
These L1011 [mod XW] 501s are owned by 411A, ATA "only" have the AOC.
[99 "Flat Bed type seats, 1cc per 3 pax, but only pre prepared meals.
The idea is to fly Coast to Coast...as a conventional Tristar,ie LAX-JFK, tow the a/c to the Harbour, launch, and then use the Tristar as an Ekranoplan, [or Wing In Ground Effect] vessel. It will travel at 50 feet above the sea at a speed of 350 knots [using the only Centre mounted engine, to give a SFC of approx 40nm per Imperial Gallon. If someone has the maths to convert to metric, feel free.
Hope this helps
watp,iktch

PilotM
26th Aug 2007, 08:28
ATA used to Operate a Round-the-World "Cruise" Flight for a German Tour Operator in 1996, 1997 and 1999. The´ve Used N189AT and N193AT for these Flights.

glhcarl
28th Aug 2007, 02:57
Here is a pictue of an ATA Around the world interior:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0119217

Earl
28th Aug 2007, 03:43
They are 2 Tristars that was recently bought by a hotel in Vegas.
These are ex Saudia royal flight -500 models, I understand they will be in service soon flying the high rollers from Vegas to the middle east.
If I remember correctly they will only have around 50 pax.
The -500 model has quite a bit of range.
The others are a bit range limited.
All are excellent wide body aircraft.
Last I heard ATA was either getting rid of the Tristar or slowly converting to DC-!0"s.

mutt
28th Aug 2007, 06:15
Earl,

I believe that these are different machines, the Saudi aircraft are operating to Hong Kong from Vegas, or I believe 1 is and the other is for sale.

Mutt