PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the saddle...

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Aug 2007, 14:19
Hey - I've not flown since sept 9th 2006. Am I lapsed or am I just in need of a few hours with an instructor?

I know this subject has been done to death and I could search but Im in work and ive got no time to do a search I'm afraid!!

Cheeky I know but a simple yes or no would be very very helpful to me in order to get back to flying...

Thanks you muchly ;)

Shunter
23rd Aug 2007, 15:31
If you still have a JAA PPL, valid medical and a valid SEP rating, all you require is a check-ride with an instructor.

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Aug 2007, 15:34
Cool thanks

Is that going on the basis that youre flying from a club. i.e renting from a club?

The reason that I ask is due to the possibility of hiring a Cessna from a private owner on the basis that I operate it as if it was my own (without club influence).

Many thanks, I appreciate your time

Ian

foxmoth
23rd Aug 2007, 15:38
legally you can jump in and fly (As long as all Shunter mentioned are still in date), before carrying pax you need 3 landings. Sensibly a checkout with an instructor is wise after that long.:ok:

coodem
23rd Aug 2007, 19:48
It also depends when your licence was first issued

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Aug 2007, 20:41
Yeah cool Im gonna jump in with an instructor and get him to show me the area before I do anything but I just wanted to understand my legal obligations so cheers.

Coodem - I got it in Feb 2006....

Thanks everyone

coodem
23rd Aug 2007, 21:00
In that case you are fine, but ideally you need 12 hours in the last 12 months of your 2nd year and a flight with an instructor within 3 months preceding the 2 years.

If you dont get 12 hours I think you need to be checked out with an examiner. (Not 100% sure, as not looked into it, as I don't have that problem)

Best ask the instructor when you go up with him

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Aug 2007, 21:02
Brilliant - thanks for your help

Arclite01
23rd Aug 2007, 21:19
I would suggest trying to get an instructor who is also an examiner.............

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Them thar hills
24th Aug 2007, 11:05
CD

"a flight with an instructor within 3 months preceding the 2 years"

No, any time in the second 12 months for this, duly signed by the Instructor !

Plan well ahead to avoid being caught by weather /no aeroplane/ memory loss....

:bored:

BackPacker
24th Aug 2007, 11:15
"a flight with an instructor within 3 months preceding the 2 years"

No, any time in the second 12 months for this, duly signed by the Instructor !

Plan well ahead to avoid being caught by weather /no aeroplane/ memory loss....

Wasn't it so that you need to do a one-hour flight with an instructor in the preceding 12 months, but if you did it in the preceding 3 months, the license would be extended to the renewal-by-date + 2 years instead of the flight-with-instructor-date + 2 years?

Another thing. The one-hour flight, at a minimum, needs to include stalls, steep turns, PFLs and a few types of landings. If you're current, that's something you can do in 15 minutes. Have a plan for how to spend the other 45 minutes as well! I'm going to combine my imminent prof check with an aerobatics check, for instance.

Deano777
24th Aug 2007, 11:31
To revalidate you need to have done 12hrs in the previous 12 months which includes 12 take offs & landings and 6hrs as PIC plus 1 full hour or more with an FI (A) or CRI (A)

This is all

coodem
24th Aug 2007, 18:24
I know I should know this, BUT

So if I have done more than 12 hours in the 12 months preceding the 2 years and done my IMC in that period too. I do not require anything else to stay current.

foxmoth
24th Aug 2007, 20:23
You need to do one thing - get the revalidation signed by an examiner!

Whirlybird
24th Aug 2007, 20:59
Another thing. The one-hour flight, at a minimum, needs to include stalls, steep turns, PFLs and a few types of landings.

Since when? Originally there were no specific requirements for the one-hour flight, then just some guidance as to what it should consist of. But I know certain flying schools made their own rules. Has that all changed when I wasn't looking?