PDA

View Full Version : PPL for real...?

Merritt
22nd Aug 2007, 10:52
Well, after reading all the bumpf during the middle of last year and looking at all the costs I started my PPL in Nov'06. I got my PPL on exactly 45 hrs in August so thought I would share exactly how much it cost & how many cancelled lessons were involved.
The costs include everything from membership fees, exams, headsets, landing fees for X-country etc from start to finish. The doc can be found here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/PPLcosts.xls
Here is a list of cancelled lessons. This includes all cancellations where I had less than 48 hrs notice (i.e. weather, illness, work etc).
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/cancelled_lessons.doc
I have also written an automated log book which autocalculates costs / hrs etc which I will share with you all but need to put some instructions on it first ;)
Cheers
Steve

IO540
22nd Aug 2007, 10:56
Very interesting - thank you for posting this.

You've done very well to do it in 45hrs, and your cost is probably about average.

hooligan88b
22nd Aug 2007, 11:01
£155 / hour dual, flippen heck, was it a gold plated plane??!

Merritt
22nd Aug 2007, 11:34
£155 / hour dual, flippen heck, was it a gold plated plane??!

Ah ok - if you are referring to the 20th April - I just checked my reciepts. I also bought a couple of small things from the shop which I have forgotten to list. Hourly rate was £144.53 dual

Cheers

Steve

JUST-local
22nd Aug 2007, 11:39
Well done! :ok:

You were obviously one of the organised people doing plenty of home work.

It only gets better from now. :)

Cusco
22nd Aug 2007, 11:44
Steve, are you SGMINFO?
Cusco;)

Merritt
22nd Aug 2007, 11:59
JUST-local, thanks im looking forward to it ;)

Cusco - sorry but not familiar with that set of letters :)

Steve

Cusco
22nd Aug 2007, 12:14
Fine: that's sorted my query...........

Cusco

east_sider
22nd Aug 2007, 14:17
You've done well, I've spent £8k already (52hrs) and still got QXC and GST to go. And I didn't buy a Bose headset either!

Merritt
22nd Aug 2007, 14:25
You've done well, I've spent £8k already (52hrs) and still got QXC and GST to go. And I didn't buy a Bose headset either!

Ouch :\

Word of advice regarding the QXC... Don't plan to do it when there is a major air display on nearby. My two stops from Thruxton were Wellsbourne and Blackbushe... Unfortunately Brize and the surrounding area was completely off limits due to Fairford... Certainly tested my nav skills that day!

Steve