PDA

View Full Version : 412 hoist issue

havoc
21st Aug 2007, 23:25
The rotorheads had no response to this, any 412 crews have any suggestions

Hi all,

I would like to pick brains regarding the Bell 412 and the Goodrich hoist. This is not a concern with our other aircraft the AW 139, as there’s no skid. A safety concern has been addressed by one of our sister bases regarding the proximity of the stokes litter with a patient in, to the skid when hoisting in, and it making contact and possibly injuring the patient. Before I get correspondence saying that this is a problem that proper crew training and litter face shields should negate, I am aware of that so please dont include that in suggestions.

My question is, have any other services had this problem addressed as a crew safety concern, and if so, how did you solve the problem, apart from crew chief refresher training. If not, I would like to hear from you as well. Please only to do with the 412, not any other aircraft. Also if your service has had modiciations to your hoist arm made, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you

Eddie Callachan

Senior Flight Paramedic
UAE Airforce
Al Bateen Airbase
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates

Tiger_mate
22nd Aug 2007, 05:39
The RAF hoist arm can be seen here, also see the element of it inside the cabin. Obviously no hoist physically attached to the arm on this occasion.
I think that this is standard Bell, although the overhead grab rail inside the cabin was a locally introduced modification.
http://www.artistic.flyer.co.uk/g2.jpg

rasyob
22nd Aug 2007, 08:35
All RAF SAR training is conducted on the 412 these days and the SAR rear-crew are given dedicated hours to practice cabin entries both on the ground and in the air with both strops and stretchers.

First of all the winchman should always, terrain permitting, have the casualties head on they're left hand side regardless of if they're in a stretcher or in two strops. When approaching the skid, winching should be stopped briefly to allow the winchman to position themselves so they are between the casualty and the the aircraft, the stretcher is outboard with the winchmans back against the skid. Winching is completed to the top of the arm the winch-operator together with limited help form the winchman then pushes the stretcher away form the aircraft and rotates it anti clockwise so the casualties head enters the cabin. The entry is completed by the pilot winching out, the winch-operator pulling, the winchman pushing.
There is no pretty way of doing this but this technique prevents the casualty from comming anywhere near the skid during the final stages of recovery.

Fat Dog Mendoza
22nd Aug 2007, 12:02
Havoc or Eddie
I am certain the RAF still has a SAR Adviser/QCI in Abu Dhabi. Sure the Defence Attache or the Defence Department at the British Embassy could give you his details.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Fat Dog

Wiretensioner
22nd Aug 2007, 13:52
'am certain the RAF still has a SAR Adviser/QCI in Abu Dhabi. Sure the Defence Attache or the Defence Department at the British Embassy could give you his details.'

Not anymore they have'nt. Been there and done it.:cool:

havoc
22nd Aug 2007, 14:45
Thanks for the responses, I sent the link to Eddie.

Fat Dog Mendoza
22nd Aug 2007, 15:07
Wire

Sure you may have been there but a good source says there is still an adviser with the UAE Air Force. Havoc/Eddie still worth trying the embassy, no harm if I'm wrong.

Fat Dog

sagy34
27th Aug 2007, 12:27
No idea what he is doing then because this is not an isolated problem in the UAE.:hmm:

Fat Dog Mendoza
29th Aug 2007, 13:02
Sagy

I gather there are problems all over the Middle East with SAR, a lack of understanding from the local units I imagine?

Fat Dog