PDA

View Full Version : China Airlines - again

B A Lert
20th Aug 2007, 04:18
HoooooooooooHummmmmmmmmmmmmm

From the Sydney Morning Herald

Plane bursts into flames

August 20, 2007 - 1:24PM

A China Airlines jet exploded into flames at an airport in Japan after arriving from Taiwan today, but there were no injuries among the 157 passengers.

At least two crew members were rushed to a hospital, national broadcaster NHK said.

All the passengers disembarked from the Boeing 737 before the fire began, a Japanese Transport Ministry official and a China Airlines official in Taipei said.

Local fire official, Eri Terukina, said the two pilots escaped, while NHK reported that all six flight attendants also made it off the plane alive.

"The fire started when the first engine below the main left wing exploded, a minute after the aircraft entered the parking spot," Transport Ministry official Akihiko Tamura said.

Tamura put the number of passengers at 157, updating the figure of 155 initially provided by China Airlines.

Flight CI120 burst into flames at Naha, on the southern island of Okinawa.

NHK showed footage of a squad of fire engines and firefighters dousing the plane with extinguishers as flames and clouds of black smoke billowed from the fuselage.

"After the plane landed, there were flames, and I heard explosions a few times then saw black smoke," airport worker Hideaki Oyadomari told NHK. "We felt the hot air coming our way."

The cause of the fire, which reportedly began in one of the engines, was unknown. Japan's National Police Agency said terrorism was not suspected.

The Okinawa fire is a setback to China Airlines, which in recent years appeared to have improved on its formerly unenviable safety record among international carriers.

A China Airlines 747 crashed in 2002 as it flew from Taipei to Hong Kong, leading to 225 deaths, and about 450 people died in China Airlines accidents during the 1990s.

Jabawocky
20th Aug 2007, 06:21
I guess it will be all over the TV

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nzlear/20070820000071002.jpg

Now is a timely reminder about Cabin safety, having your EEL's without staples:rolleyes: in them and anything else that relates to crew and PAX even when at the gate.

I have read so many things here and on PPRuNE about safety matters and so many folk think its all good once the plane is half way through its landing roll.

I bothers me when PAX unbuckle before the a/c has STOPPED, let alone the captain switching off the seatbelt sign. Like its going to get you out the door any quicker!!!!!

OK back in my box, rant over.

Fortunately all were OK in this case, China Airlines have not always been so lucky!

J

Gordon Schumway
20th Aug 2007, 06:24
Be interesting to see who was driving as a lot of ex-Ansett blokes work there!!

Raider1
20th Aug 2007, 10:04
Interesting comment on the international forum:

"8 Mins. after landing at Naha in the Okinawa Province of Japan at 10:35 local time, the fully booked China Airways B737-800 flight 120 from Taipeh from caught fire (165 people on board of which 157 were passengers(incl. 2 baby's)).

On reaching its parking position a ground technician noticed fuel leaking from the aircraft - all on board were immediately evacuated via the emergency slides. A few minutes thereafter the LEFT engine exploded and the 5 year old plane burnt out - the fire took an hour to extinguish.

A 7 year old girl and a 57 year old man who complained of feeling sick were take to hospital. Police reported that a crew member and a member of the ground staff were injured."

Fliegenmong
21st Aug 2007, 05:11
Boeing centre section tanks Thai 737, 3 Mar 2001, TWA 800.
Wasn't there testing done on a (747) SP injecting an inert gas into a centre tank? :confused:
I could be wrong, though, I thought I was once but I was wrong:}

Section28- BE
21st Aug 2007, 07:42
Ex News Ltd

Airline offers $124 to crash survivors
From correspondents in Tokyo
August 21, 200703:51pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse

CHINA Airlines today offered $US100 ($124) and an apology to each of the Taiwanese tourists who barely escaped a blaze on a flight to Japan.
The Boeing 737-800 burst into flames yesterday at the airport in the southern island of Okinawa.
All 165 passengers, mostly Taiwanese, and crew raced out and escaped the engulfing flames and plumes of black smoke.
China Airlines chief executive Chao Kuo-shuai flew to Okinawa and handed a red envelope with $US100 inside to each of the Taiwanese tourists on the flight.
"I apologise from the bottom of my heart,'' Mr Chao told the Taiwanese on a tour bus in Okinawa.
"I feel ashamed for causing so much trouble,'' Mr Chao said as he handed out the money, according to footage on Japanese public broadcaster NHK.
One of the Taiwanese tourists said: "I feel for their efforts, but I can't be satisfied as my luggage and all my other things were burnt up.''
A China Airlines spokeswoman in Tokyo said the firm was separately considering compensation to the tourists for damage to luggage and other belongings on the aircraft.
Eighteen Japanese were on the flight, which included 157 passengers, two pilots and six other crew members, according to Japan's transport ministry.

Near Miss
21st Aug 2007, 08:35
Maybe they should put that money towards a ticket on another carrier home. :eek:

Icarus53
22nd Aug 2007, 04:26
I bothers me when PAX unbuckle before the a/c has STOPPED, let alone the captain switching off the seatbelt sign

Ancient chinese proverb:

"All things being equal, people will comply with any reasonable request; with the exception of "Will all passengers remain seated until the Captain has turned off the fasten seatbelts sign".

Doesn't the Captain know that if you get out the door quicker, you'll be first to wait at the baggage carousel???

Clive
27th Aug 2007, 23:14
Taipei Times - Sunday, Aug 26, 2007, Page 8

On Monday, another China Airlines jet crashed, marking the fourth aviation accident for the airline in the past 13 years. Many predict that this accident will aggravate the already poor financial situation of the company. As China Airlines has historical significance to Taiwan -- it is a state-owned enterprise and was the first and only airline flying international links for decades -- the latest accident has caused mixed feelings for many people in Taiwan.

China Airlines really should thank its lucky stars that all 165 passengers and crew on board the Boeing 737-800 survived the accident -- barely escaping from the plane only seconds before an explosion that mostly likely would have killed everyone on board. It was also extremely lucky that the explosion took place after the jet safely landed, rather than in the air. It was also very lucky that someone in the control tower of Naha Airport spotted the flames and told the pilots about it.

Three lucky breaks -- very lucky, indeed.

Unfortunately, when it comes to aviation safety, counting on luck just does not cut it -- especially we see such a long series of lucky breaks like this. Perhaps this explains why the two prior crashes of China Airlines jets caused the deaths of hundred of passengers: There was no good luck to be had on those occasions.

While it is true that the crew of the Boeing 737-800 performed admirably in evacuating all the passengers within only a few seconds of learning about the engine fire, this is no reason to pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

This is a time for examining what has gone wrong with China Airlines. For an airline with such a patchy track record, ranking nearly at the bottom of 50 airlines world-wide in terms of aviation safety, it simply does not make sense to explain it all away as "bad luck."

The 737-800 was relatively new -- only 5 years old -- and had just completed a routine check-up in July. The experienced pilot had actually flown President Chen Shui-bian's (陳水扁) Air Force One jet before.

Preliminary investigations after the crash found that a bolt pierced the jet's fuel tank, causing fuel leakage and the subsequent fire and explosion. The question that remains is: Why? Reportedly, accidents of this type have never happened before. Hopefully, further investigation and analysis will give an answer.

China Airlines had a fairly glorious past. As the only Taiwan-based state-owned airline, its image was virtually synonymous with that of the "Republic of China" (ROC) government during the Chinese Nationalist government era. It was once the pride and joy of many in Taiwan, as China Airlines displayed the ROC flag as its logo on the tails of its jets all over world. This did much more to promote Taiwan than the Ministry of Foreign Affairs could ever have done in the face of the nation's diplomatic isolation.

However, in recent years, the allure of China Airlines has faded significantly. Fierce competition from other airlines such as Eva Air (the other Taiwan-based airline), poor financial performance, and of course repeated crashes bringing sky-rocketing insurance premiums -- all of these have taken their toll. How can China Airlines rediscover its previous glory? The airline's management faces a tough task.

While it can be disputed that this was a "crash", there are other points in this piece that send out warning signals to management. Signals which I hope are recieved and understood!

Clive
27th Aug 2007, 23:37
More important messages from this article!

Analysis: CAL corporate culture a problem: analysts
AP AND AFP, TAIPEI
Friday, Aug 24, 2007, Page 2

Just when China Airlines (CAL) seemed to be leaving behind a troubled past, it has encountered potentially damaging turbulence.

The series of explosions that destroyed one of the company's Boeing 737s on Monday were grimly reminiscent of the period from 1991 to 2002, when a string of disasters claimed the lives of 693 passengers and crew.

Though no one died in this week's accident at Okinawa's Naha Airport it raised questions about how far the carrier has progressed.

The persistent doubts seem incongruous for a company headquartered in Taiwan, which over the past four decades has transformed itself from an agricultural backwater to a vital link in the global high-tech chain, with a reputation for precision and digital innovation.

Critics lay the blame on a deadly mixture of intrusive government involvement and a corporate culture that places greater emphasis on hierarchy than teamwork and disdains basic accountability.

From in-flight menus with comical English misspellings to senior executives passing the buck, they say, the carrier needs a thorough overhaul to get its act in order.

"There's a selfishness there," said local aviation expert Earl Wieman. "You live in your own sphere, you don't care about others, you are indifferent to things around you."

jumpdrive
28th Aug 2007, 06:34
it was a F%$#@ing bult that came apart from a slat section
it has nothing to do with the airplane being almost new
or the crew or airline or even country
your taking it all out of context

bigger things fell appart from the space shuttle
and they have like a million eng working onsite all time

this things just happens & will continue to happen

Clive
28th Aug 2007, 07:01
No arguments from me Jumpdrive.

I'm not getting things out of context because it is not me that said these things. These reports are a 'cut and paste' from the newspapers in Taiwan for those that do not have access to them.

You are quite correct. Bigger problems have been occuring on the space shuttle. Should we therefore not invesrtigate every angle of this incident? Sadly the shuttle events caused deaths which could have been avoided. The great efforts of the crew in OKA resulted in no deaths, but without such a good crew it could have been different.

If the one message from the "close call" in OKA is to check and recheck then that has to be a good thing.

What if it is also discovered that a corporate culture exists which meant that this slat problem (already known to Boeing and warned about) was missed or ignored? I would want that fixed. Wouldn't you?

What if it was discovered that it is a design fault at Boeing? I would want that fixed also!

This was not a crash! I agree fully. And the media should be held to account for calling it one because it will hurt the airline.

But in any investigation it would be wrong not to look at all possible reasons for the final result. From maintenance training and organizational culture to the fire fighting and communication. Even right through to the evacuation itself (which was done very well by the crew from all reports! :D).

I will say it again - IF there are messages to be learnt from this event I hope management receive and understand them.

I would wish the same thing for any management of any other airline finding themselves in a similar position!

fender
28th Aug 2007, 09:22
A F(*^&*%ing BULT?
Right, and who worked on the F*^$%$ing BULT. CAL engineers perhaps.
Do a CAL accident/incident search and have a good chuckle why don't you. It isn't funny.
747 in full stall. A340 wheels through snow bank. 747 Spin,(cool). all survived these near disasters.
How many more have to die.
CAL, was is and will remain to be a flying casket.
They just don't get it.

Clive
28th Aug 2007, 11:45
Yes Fender, a history which should not be forgotten and management should resist any temptation to let down their guard. but in this case it is becoming more apparent each day that this event could simply be just plain bad luck.

This from the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) today:

Applicability: All Model 737-600, -700, -700C, -800, -900, and -900ER series aircraft.

Requirement: 1. Accomplish a detailed inspection of each main slat track downstop assembly to verify proper installation of the slat track hardware (the bolt, washers, downstops, sleeve, stop location, and nut shown in Figure 1 of Boeing Service Letter 737-SL-57-084-B, dated 10 July 2007; and in this Directive). If any part is missing orinstalled incorrectly, before further flight, install a new or serviceable part using amethod approved in accordance with the procedures specified in paragraph (g) of FAA AD 2007-18-51; and accomplish a detailed inspection of the inside of the slat track housing for foreign object debris (FOD) and damage. Before further flight, remove any FOD found and repair any damage found using a method
approved in accordance with the procedures specified in paragraph (g) of FAA
AD 2007-18-51.

The FAA received reports of parts of the main slat track downstop assembly coming off the main slat track. In one case, a nut fell into the slat track housing and, during a subsequent slat retraction, the track made contact with the nut, pushing it into the wall of the housing and puncturing it. In a recent case, an initial investigation revealed that following retraction of the slats after landing on a Model 737-800 aircraft, loose parts of the main slat track downstop assembly punctured the slat track housing, which resulted in fuel leakage and a fire that ultimately destroyed the aircraft.

CTM1394
28th Aug 2007, 15:35
To improve the flight safety, CAL has to hire qualified and experienced crews engineers and mechanics.
The most experienced and the best leave for better salaries...There is no secret . Remember :" You pay peanuts, you get monkeys..."
No need to ask local pilots to sign any unfair 20 years contract to try to keep them in the company...just increase the pay and set up a career plan with significant pay increase and pilots will stay by themselves because they will be HAPPY!