PDA

View Full Version : Overheating power adaptor

Binoculars
18th Aug 2007, 10:43
B3's laptop (Dell Inspiron 1100, three years old) keeps overheating and shutting down. Battery life is poor, and the power adaptor itself gets quite hot when it is connected. Since I have not a clue about electrics, could someone enlighten me as to how, if at all, these things are related?

OK, the fan doesn't appear to work, so even to last for an hour the computer has to be raised a couple of inches off the desk I stupidly assumed that it would be a simple matter of ordering the appropriate replacement fan, but an acquaintance in the repair business muttered darkly and shook his head.

For the purposes of this post I'm mainly curious about the power adaptor and its effect on the battery, but any general suggestions are welcome.

frostbite
18th Aug 2007, 11:47
If the battery condition is poor it is probably leaving the laptop to draw more juice than the adapter can comfortably handle without breaking into a sweat. Shouldn't happen, but these things are often nowadays produced with little if any overcapacity.

Are you sure the adapter is intended to power the laptop, rather than just recharge the battery?

Saab Dastard
18th Aug 2007, 11:55
frostbite,

Every laptop I've seen in the last 10 years has had a power supply that can both power the laptop plus peripherals at full chat AND recharge the battery at the same time.

SD

Lancelot37
18th Aug 2007, 12:03
Don't you think that you've got the answer to your problem when you say

"OK, the fan doesn't appear to work, so even to last for an hour the computer has to be raised a couple of inches off the desk "

It's most likely the C.P.U overheating and shutting down the computer.
Download SpeedFan by Alfredo Milani Comporetti and monitor the temperatures, it's FREE>

green granite
18th Aug 2007, 12:05
Perhaps the non-working fan is jammed and drawing excess current, open up the m/c and disconnect the fan and see if it makes any difference. Alternatively something might be dragging the 12v down and that is the reason for all the problems. (assuming a 12v fan)

ORAC
18th Aug 2007, 14:56
Dell Inspiron Class Action (including 1100) (http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-3.htm)

Case settlement (http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron.htm)

Might be worth writing a letter to Dell asking for a replacement. Probably won't work, but you might get a discount on a new one. Not that I'd buy a Dell....

Keef
18th Aug 2007, 17:45
I don't know the Dell Laptop in question, but fans do get clogged with dust and fluff, and stop working.

That will mean the chip isn't getting cooled, so will overheat and eventually shut down. The stalled fan will also draw more current, and provide more load on the power supply, which will overheat.

Cleaning the fan is possible, but in my experience a clogged fan is usually beyond redemption and is best replaced. Dismantling a laptop isn't for the faint hearted, and I would only do it if I had the instructions on how to dismantle (and reassemble!) it.

I have the complete PDF of the service manual for my (now vintage) IBM Thinkpad, and have had the fan out of that (to apply the thermal compound between the chip and the heatsink that was omitted in manufacture).

A typical computer shop won't have a clue about how to fix it. If you can find a local workshop-type chap who knows, you may be able to get your fan replaced for a reasonable price. Otherwise, new laptops are a lot cheaper these days ;) Which brand to buy is a different issue...

Binoculars
19th Aug 2007, 04:21
I'm obviously not alone in this problem, and since after refusing to let go of Dell with a previous problem with a faulty screen I finally got a satisfactory outcome, it looks as though I may as well start the procedure again.

Thank you folks, helpful advice as always.