PDA

View Full Version : Do dispatchers really exist in the UK?

EMA747
17th Aug 2007, 17:05
I am looking around at other jobs in the aviation industry bescides flying as I think I have a problem with my ear that would stop me getting a class 1 medical. I have decome interested in a career in dispatch after reading some stuff on the net etc. By dispatcher I don't mean someone who loads bags, and pushes the planes out like I have read is what a dispatcher in the UK does. I mean the american term for dispatcher. Someone who writes the flight plan, checks the weather and monitors the flight as it progresses and advises the pilots in-flight if there is weather etc. I know this is the case in North America and Europe but not the UK as far as I know.

Who actually does the monitoring of a flight for uk airlines and who does the flight planning and briefing the pilots before the flight etc in the UK? Do the pilots do it all themselves once they have a basic flight plan?

Basically what I am saying is am I looking for a career than really does not exist in the UK?

Any help on this would be a massive help. :ok:

Let me say that I do not intend to offend anyone in this post. I am not saying the UK dispatchers are inferior or anything. It's just that that job does not really appeal in the same way as the American/European one does.

Andy S

merlinxx
17th Aug 2007, 20:58
Suggest ctc Saudia at LHR and have a word, they operate a Saudi PCA/FAA 121 Flt Dispatch. PM is you need a #, I'll be back around in 72 hrs.

Leezyjet
17th Aug 2007, 21:48
Try reading the thread about the differences between dispatchers. Should answer most of your questions.

:ok: