PDA

View Full Version : Glasses

500e
17th Aug 2007, 10:54
I am having problem with getting SmartSeg lenses in the UK.
My optician says they appear to have disappeared from the USA Co. that they deal with, & are having trouble sourcing them.
Does any one know where they can be obtained, manufacturer, commercial supplier, so my ophthalmic person can order :{

airborne_artist
17th Aug 2007, 11:07
Tried Google (http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=9605)?

"Yes, I regret to confirm the passing of SOLA's SmartSeg into the annals of Optical History. SmartSeg was indeed a novel product. Unfortunately, it was a product that never really seemed to "fit" into the traditional lens market, especially given the rapid transition into progressive lenses subsequent to its launch. It was both ahead of its time and a few years too late. http://www.optiboard.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

The posts in this thread really sum up the issues that led to this decision. Many dispensers have had a great deal of success with SmartSeg, though few dispensers actually think to recommend it anymore. Consequently, although it was the ideal alternative to conventional flat-top bifocals and trifocals, the demand for the product just fell below the levels necessary to warrant its continued production.

Best regards,
Darryl
Technical Marketing Manager, AO*SOLA"

500e
17th Aug 2007, 20:54
Airborne
Thanks for the news What a nuisance could you suggest an alternative, as you are man from SOLA, is there another option or is it varyfocal or straight line.
How good is the peripheral vision on the latest lenses ?

Bravo73
17th Aug 2007, 21:21
:D

FYI, 500e, I don't think that AA actually is 'Darryl'.

He just found out about him via Google!

Gomer Pylot
17th Aug 2007, 23:28
Oh, crap! Those are without doubt the very best lenses for flying. The bifocal segment focuses from very close to very far with a slight tilt of the head, and the area outside that is exactly the same as the rest of the top portion of the lens, giving no distortion or area where you can't see. They're just like a normal bifocal lens, except for the bifocal portion, which has variable focus. I need another pair now, as some scratches are beginning to appear, after several years of use. Now what do I do? :8 :mad: :(

500e
18th Aug 2007, 12:44
bravo73
I think Darryl is the sales director for Carl Zeiss according to the posts he directed me to on the Optiboard site.
Still :{:{ over not being able to get SmartSegs as Gomer Pylot says :mad:

Bravo73
18th Aug 2007, 16:20
500e,

I'm sure Darryl is indeed Sales Manager for whoever. But airborne_artist isn't. And that is who you directed your second post to.

AA's original point was that Google would've told you about Optiboard and Darryl in the first place (without having to ask us first.)

But, yep, you're right - you do need new glasses. ;) Or should that be: :8!

500e
19th Aug 2007, 17:52
bravo73
See what you mean:cool: not only the glasses