PDA

View Full Version : Recent EAT (DHL) 757 Ab Initio Recruitment

Wannabe Airways
16th Aug 2007, 21:18
Hey this is my first post but I have been a spectator for some time!

Recently EAT (now a fully integrated part of the DHL group but not DHL Air UK) advertised for 757 jobs at their base in Brussels (Leipzig would have also been a possibility). They were looking to fill several slots and the application was open from 13/07/07 to the 06/08/07. The ad specifically welcomed ab initios (although I'm sure there were many higher hour candidates as well).

I'm a low hours guy. I applied for the position and phoned yesterday to check on progress. They were pretty helpful and said interviews to start next week. They said my CV was held in reserve and should there still be slots to fill after the first bout of selection they would look again and then invite more shortly. "Reserve" may well just mean that my CV is in the large storage container outside the building along with everybody elses.

Has anyone applied for this opening? If so how have you got on? Does anybody have further information on how things are progressing with recruitment at EAT?

All the best to anyone who is trying to get through. :ok:

wilcoluca
17th Aug 2007, 09:44
Hi wannabe,

I was just looking for a post about the recent DHL selection process.

I applied to them hoping to get any chance of going to the interview. But at the moment, no news from them.

I think I'll give them a call sooner.

Keep in touch!

menikos
17th Aug 2007, 10:21
I guess they'll will hire belgium citizen in priority.

rbr919
18th Aug 2007, 17:52
Or German ! (Leipzig)

I have also applied and heard nothing.

Thought I might get an call since 757 rated!

(Must be in the reserve dustbin aswell!)

They are only after 8 so i'm not holding my breath for the second batch!

Night-flyer
18th Aug 2007, 19:14
Sent the application as well but I didnt get any response yet :=

Waiting but having no hopes on that.. too many people around with good experience and too good company :E...

I'm a low hour as well :ok:

Failed
18th Aug 2007, 20:54
I think for the first batch only Belgium citizens are considered. Because I know two who have been invited for an assesment next monday.

Ow well.... keep on looking :\

Wannabe Airways
19th Aug 2007, 10:07
Thanks guys.

I guess your right about being a local citizen. If there are enough good guys initially in Belgium then why hire from the UK. Foreign citizens are probably classed as more likely to up sticks and leave after a year or so on the line for a much easier chance of getting in back home.

Then if there's good guys like rbr919 already type rated then i guess we'll have a wait a while lol.. I did kind of think that guys rated on type might be disuaded from working 8 nights in a row though and try for airlines that also fly day routes. But then again every stone has to be turned! Perhaps that was just wishful thinking! :{

Good luck..

rbr919
19th Aug 2007, 11:43
If the Belguims are only hiring locals then why don't we follow suit in the UK???

Every airline is made up of loads of non uk pilots. Surely they have a duty to hire UK citizens first and how come we allow the german, french dutch to all hire from there own countries but we open our doors.

Bigger augument I know!!

We ref to DHL, its good experience. You will only do 300 hours a year because of all the loading but its a lot of sectors!

Wannabe Airways
20th Aug 2007, 09:53
Yeh its a shame. But the UK airlines won't just take UK passport holders. The creation of the single market gives them a whole new pool of people to look at. Many will have built up their hours gaining valuable experience. It's going to be better economically for airlines to take these guys rather than a fully qualified UK guy with no real experience. (Not obviously applicable to all of us).

I guess that foreign outfits generally reach the conclusion that unless a guy has say family etc out in their country then chances of longterm retention will be reduced.

Particularly with regard to EAT, I'd say the following are some points that would disuade foreigners from staying, ultimately leading to a higher attrition rate ,which is what these type of outfits are trying to stem:

1- High Income tax bracket in Belgium (50%ish).
2- Working 8 nights on 6 days off. (Not the greatest of shifts).
3- Only getting 300h done. (Depending on what your lifestyle requirments are, I'd suggest most would want more duty hours spent in the air).

4- Many good pilots on the continent do flock here for better pay/lifestyle etc and they speak good English. After all it is the language of the skies, Hollywood and many other things too. Sadly us UK guys live in a language comfort zone as we are already born with it and I'd say, relative to the European mainlanders, there aren't many of us that are fluent in a second European language. Many of the European companies want us fluent in their home language too. (Although this point isn't that specific to EAT).

Any news on how the assessment went? Whilst we're on the topic are there any UK guys who made the first batch?

rbr919
22nd Aug 2007, 14:15
I spoke to them today.Only after 8.
They have finished interviews. They only selected belguim nationals. Not for the reasons above though!
Should any fail later in the process they will select again, but they will look closer to home as before, so don't hold breath but good luck.

Wannabe Airways
22nd Aug 2007, 21:42
Ballacks.. :(

ILOR
31st Oct 2008, 03:23
The thing is that English is the General aviation language. Most larger carriers in Europe want pilots who speak the language of the the country the airline is based in. Its al the best for the admosphere within the company..
Since almost all not english pilots speak english aswell as their native language its easier.