PDA

View Full Version : Complex Checkout

Kanu
15th Aug 2007, 12:39
Hello,
I've searched the forum and found the following thread:- http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146024&highlight=complex+checkout&page=2 (LINK)
Useful though it was, I'm wondering if there are any guidelines anywhere as to the layout of one of these checkouts? AOPA? CAA?
The thread above lists all sorts of various methods so I'm after anything official rather than "my instructor told me this".
any info appreciated
Kind regards

Brooklands
15th Aug 2007, 13:01
Kanu,

I don't think that there are any "official" guidelines for the content of the differences training required for VP/CS prop and retractable U/C.

Brooklands

rtl_flyer
16th Aug 2007, 13:00
My complex training was one hour ground discussion. 30mins upper air, then 30 mins circuits. Licence signed off.

cirrus01
16th Aug 2007, 19:15
Included mine in a SEP re-validation flight.........along with intro to Seaplane flying !

Recommend most highly Neil Gregory and his Husky amphib at Lochearnhead. Brilliant fun and new experiences to boot ! :):):)

Shunter
16th Aug 2007, 20:57
Depends on the nature of the complexity. As I recall, they can be CS/VP, Retractable, Turbo or Pressurised in relation to an SEP rating. The aircraft might have 1, it might have all 4. The length of time for sign-off depends purely on your instructor. There's no test, just their satisfaction and a signature in your logbook.

BackPacker
16th Aug 2007, 22:58
In that case, would an instructor sign you off on "complex" in general, or sign you off on a specific type or a specific complex aspect, ie. retractable only.

I'm checked out in a DA-40 TDI which technically has a CS prop, although it's controlled by the FADEC. My endorsement is specific for the DA-40 TDI. I would not dream of jumping into a manual CS, pressurized, retractable turbo with just a bit of Diamond experience under my belt.

coodem
17th Aug 2007, 06:43
backpacker, Don't believe you actually need a sign off for a DA40, as it has a CS prop, controoled by FADEC, Just a familiarisation flight. I fly a Warrior with a Thielert a CS prop controlled by fadec, anf just had to get the owner to check me over, this was for insurance reasons.

So don't think you actually have a complex sign off

Arfur Feck-Sake
17th Aug 2007, 07:04
Guidance in LASORS Section F under "Differences Training" and specifically, Appendix E to Section F

Whopity
17th Aug 2007, 08:11
Included mine in a SEP re-validation flight.........along with intro to Seaplane flying !

But a SEP (Sea) is a different Class that doesn't count towards SEP(Land)!